Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Your selling the bike because the tire popped? o_O

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 PM

Hope you don't own a car............
Old 02-23-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer60973 View Post
Tire popped 3 miles from home so im selling it. POS
Time for a new tire and tube...
  • look for a Kenda tire with the kevlar strip lining the tread.
  • Grab a thicker-walled tube (self sealing if you like 'em)
  • Take the old tube, slit it open all the way around, discard the valve stem (save the valve hardware from inside the stem if you can) and wipe it off (check for/remove sharp things too)
  • fold the old tube over itself and line the inside of the tire with the folded tube (Mine is folded to proved a triple layer of 'dead' tube)
  • Inspect spoke nipples, make sure no spokes are protruding past the inside of the rim. (True wheel if needed here, maybe add some tape to the inside of the rim if needed)
  • Mount lined tire over new tube and inflate
I drop my max pressure by about 5 psi on the lined tire.

I used to have the back wheel on my beast blow out on a regular (nearly weekly) cycle until I 'beefed up' the wheel as above. Most of my punctures were due to riding in a light industrial area (to and from work) with a lot of unknown crap on the road. I usually found little 'fibres' of a wire or whatever to be the culprit. Knock on wood, I haven't blown out that back one for over a year.

Oh yeah... and if the road ahead sparkles (broken glass), go around that patch.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 02-23-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Tire popped 3 miles from home so im selling it. POS
I wrote a good paragraph about this and on reading it before posting I decided against posting what I was going to say.

Good luck with your future endeavors.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:37 PM

Everyone has his or her level of toleration as far as breakdowns go, I have been fortunate to have only one flat while riding. I was more than ten miles out, but repaired it on the side of the road. I carry patches, a pump and the tools needed to do most anything. Don't let a flat get you down, I like to look at the positive side of every problem. At least you didn't wreck!
Old 02-23-2014, 04:32 PM

Avenir thorn proof tubes are the best!, I get mine at Sports Chalet $8.99 then I use a dis-guarded vinyl vertical blind (because it already has the curve of the inside of the tire) to line the inside of the tire over lapping the end about 1" and glue it with rubber cement and or PVC pipe glue.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Its all the small things that made me want to sell it. The tire popping just made me angry as as ****. Yeah it sounds stupid but everytime i get it running great. Something else effs up. The engine lost almost 1/2 of its power. Which i.think is because of the base gasket being squished down to nothing. Even though i cleaned up the transfer ports. Does anyone know what detonation sounds like? Cause i think thats happening also under acceleration, it doesnt sound like 4 stroking. Its like a loud high pitched pop. Its just overwhelming. When i took it out to ride today the throttle handle where the cable attaches broke for some idiotic reason. No i didnt drop it. And the kill switch wire came off im just having some crappy luck. And being broke as a joke doesnt help any. Sigh.

If noone contacts me about by tomorrow at 8 ill just rip it apart and try to fix it with the crap i have laying around. Nunya. Id have liked to read that paragraph. Lol. ive calmed down now. Ive gotta work on my anger

Last edited by slayer60973; 02-23-2014 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:36 PM

Slayer, post up what you need that you don't 'have laying around'. Many of us have extra stuff that may be of use to you.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Its all the small things that made me want to sell it. The tire popping just made me angry as as ****. Yeah it sounds stupid but everytime i get it running great. Something else effs up. The engine lost almost 1/2 of its power. Which i.think is because of the base gasket being squished down to nothing. Even though i cleaned up the transfer ports. Does anyone know what detonation sounds like? Cause i think thats happening also under acceleration, it doesnt sound like 4 stroking. Its like a loud high pitched pop. Its just overwhelming. When i took it out to ride today the throttle handle where the cable attaches broke for some idiotic reason. No i didnt drop it. And the kill switch wire came off im just having some crappy luck. And being broke as a joke doesnt help any. Sigh.

If noone contacts me about by tomorrow at 8 ill just rip it apart and try to fix it with the crap i have laying around. Nunya. Id have liked to read that paragraph. Lol. ive calmed down now. Ive gotta work on my anger
That sounds about right.. it was the same for me on the first build. I'd do a run to work and back and need to fix, adjust or tweak something (either at work or after the ride home). It takes a while, but eventually it's broken or forced you to replace everything that needs it, and it's great from there on out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Slayer, post up what you need that you don't 'have laying around'. Many of us have extra stuff that may be of use to you.
...or can suggest alternate materials that can do the job.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 02-23-2014, 06:56 PM

Are you running a totally stock outta the box kit ? if so you may to do some upgrades, base gaskets are CHEAP! you can even make one or all yer self, Porting is a BIG PLUS! outta the box, get a better ignition system one with a coil, an expansion chamber and try a better fuel additive like Opti-2 Carbs help as well like a Dax RT carb (decent price) heads make a BIG difference.
So many things that you can Change out, Modify, and clean up to give you the riding experience you want and you'd get real familiar with yer engine in the process, they aren't that hard to work on.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner