Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:22 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

[QUOTE=mapbike;539977]Looks like the big tank is actually pretty fond of that smaller tank if you ask me...LOL!

Ha! That's how little reserve tanks are made!
Old 02-04-2014, 08:08 AM

[QUOTE=Cruise;540123]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Looks like the big tank is actually pretty fond of that smaller tank if you ask me...LOL!

Ha! That's how little reserve tanks are made!
I reckon so......LOL
Old 02-04-2014, 04:57 PM

LOL!!! Took me a second to get it.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:15 PM

The reed block I ordered from JNMotors arrived today, so I had something to play with.

I pulled the carb and intake off the cruiser, checked how the block would sit and marked the fin above it for notching. Notched it out, and block sits flush, so fastened it on. The carb bowl was hanging up on the clutch cable guide/peg so I had to pull that. Having nothing that matched the size of it (dia. or threading) I ended up cutting the top off it, using the dremel disk to put a groove in the top and put it back into the hole in the case, snugged down with a screwdriver. Now the carb bowl clears, but there appears to be around a 1/16" difference between diameter of the end of the reed block and the inside diameter of the carb's mount. I have it tightened together but I'm going to have to find an O ring or do something else to make sure there's a good seal. Pretty sure it isn't sealing properly right now.

Pulled the intake off the carb and cleaned it up a bit, and since it was just loose enough to be sloppy I tightened the nut holding the choke lever assembly together.

Since I was tinkering with it, I pulled the exhaust off the other side of the jug. I replaced the studs and cleaned the surface up. Checked the flange of the exhaust. It looked pretty good, but when holding an 8" level against it with the light behind it there was a visible gap, it was slightly concave. Tried to bend the edges of the flange back a bit, and it's much closer to flat now. New gasket, new hardware on the new studs, and it's pretty solid.

Tightened everything up, and took it out for a test. It started, and runs but it's either screaming or slowly stalling out at idle. Once started it's happy with the choke half open, but has no power at wide open, so I'm going with 'air leak' as the main problem right now. I'm too chilled to keep tinkering with it today, it's right around freezing temp in the garage.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 02-11-2014, 06:27 AM

Took the chopper for a final run before the big paint job.
Going to pull it all down (now I've got it running just nicely), and have a good hard go at making it look nice.
After the butterfly comes out of the chrysalis, I can finally retire the cruiser that has served me so well for over 40,000km. Might mount a photo of it in the shed.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:08 PM

drained fuel & packed it away - will be gone for next couple months and probably without reliable inet, so may not be on the board here for a while
Old 02-11-2014, 03:29 PM

So on my way to work todasy in 4 weather before wind chill i notice a serious vibration coming from the motor considering i just put a shot of gasin to make it home with no oil just what was left in the tank from a 32-1 ratio i figured id be fine so i feel the vibration and figure f it if it pops i just buy a new one and goose it to get home i get home stop the bike she idles like a dream vibration seems to stop when i pull in the clutch so i figure ill better try to tighten up my motor mounts that's when i noticed motor mounts GONE!!!! LOL

At first I laughed because I was doing about 30 mph without my motor even being bolted on to the bike. All that was holding it on was gravity, luck ,and one half a u bolt up front with only one nut left on it now they either vibrated off .
Or some one at work loosened them up "my my motor mount bolts" in which case they will have a 6'5" 280 lb very angry beast of a man chasing them down . If someone did do me dirty like that ..one of the other numb skulls just wont be able to not talk about it and I will find out !! I really hope they loosened up on they're own I really dislike hurting stupid people .
Old 02-11-2014, 04:23 PM

A friend of mine had a similar experience, slightly different.
One day I noticed that he just seemed to disappear. I asked other friends and acquaintances that we both knew if they had heard from him.
No one had. Calls to his house went unanswered. No call backs or anything.
Finally We crossed paths about 2 months later.
Someone had removed 3 of the 4 total lug nuts on each wheel of his Porsche.
All **** broke loose when he was going about 85mph.
Needless to say the car was totaled. He was in the hospital for 5 days.
The police told him lay low and be scarce while the investigation was under way.
Everyone he knew was a possible suspect. The investigation was still under way during my encounter with him. It turned out it was a teenaged neighborhood punk playing a what he thought was a prank. The punk didn't even know who's car he had messed with. He just did it because he was bored.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 02-11-2014, 07:40 PM

I went riding last week and didnt realize that I neglected to tighten up the nuts on the front wheel.
I was doing 37mph at one point. Then I stopped because i had a "Funny feeling."
I checked the bike out and one of the wheel nuts was gone, and the other was almost off!
Only thing that kept it on was gravity and the fact that I didn't take any big bumps or sharp turns!
I can't believe I did that.
Lesson: NEVER MULTITASK!
Old 02-12-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidscene View Post
I went riding last week and didnt realize that I neglected to tighten up the nuts on the front wheel.
I was doing 37mph at one point. Then I stopped because i had a "Funny feeling."
I checked the bike out and one of the wheel nuts was gone, and the other was almost off!
Only thing that kept it on was gravity and the fact that I didn't take any big bumps or sharp turns!
I can't believe I did that.
Lesson: NEVER MULTITASK!
Maybe consider buying a lotto ticket.

Dan.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner