Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:47 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

My vote says there's nothing wrong with being a proud grandpa and posting pictures of your grandaughter in this thread.

Great photo by the way and good to hear that the little one is doing better.
Old 01-24-2014, 03:32 PM

s putting a motor together today and relized I forgot to order the sound deading sticky tar foil stuff so I took out my trusty old glue gun fil;led up a generous amount of hot glue then used some unusable gasket material then I remembered I have some brass step flashing left over from a roof job here are the results

Old 01-25-2014, 06:27 AM

Good stuff. Just remembered today I need to do the same. New build and I'd much rather hear my nice sounding exhaust over all the chatter from the motor.
Can you guess how much space is available in there? ie thickness of dampener?
Old 01-25-2014, 11:09 PM

I tested out my bike after changing the crankcase oil breather that was shot. The spring stuck open wider than it ever was supposed to be and never shut.

The paper airfilter new replaced, the foam prefilter cleaned and replaced, and now it is not smokey. I got a new prefilter, but soap and water did a fine job cleaning it after it dried.

Putting back the chain on the two sprockets of the two jackshafts (upper and lower) has always been a pain. The bottom movable jackshaft left and right sides adjust separately while I set the chain tension. I think I may make a connection some how if I find a way and weld the left and right sides as one, this would negate so much effort and time getting it set right.

The problem is that I do not want the connection to get in the way of the chain, sprockets, or anything else I may not figure in just yet that may be needed.

In any case it worked just fine and the chain rides smooth.

I will be continuing on making bosses on the frame to hold the skeleton structure for the Art Fish Covering that will be used in parades.

MT

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 01-25-2014 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:20 PM

I put the head back on my Bgf engine after having a friend at work shave .38 off, seems a good bit stronger on the low end.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:26 PM

I worked hard today, installed a rim strip -

But I did that after I got home from work and it was dark outside.

I worked hard today.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:55 AM

Got excited about some sound deadening, so I cut a gumboot side out so it fit inside the clutch cover. For anyone unsure it's rubber sheet basically, about 1/16 thick. Stuck it in the cover with gasket goo. It's reduced clutch chatter noise quite well. Onto the other covers soon.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:44 PM

I have built a motorized Road bike. Yes, skinny tires and all.
I love it, but want to lower my center of gravity. Other than welding, I was trying to come up with other ideas.
I happened upon an extra fork I had laying around that was exactly, by accident the same size as my current one but with more of a forward rake.
After I put that on, the front of the bike sat almost an inch lower. Then I figured a way to lower the neck on my handle bars about 2 inches by modifying the neck mounted road bike shifter so that it would mount on the handle bars. This allowed me to move the fuel tank forward a little, which is good because the bike is VERY tail heavy. Then I cut on the seat tube part of the frame that was almost 2 inches taller than the top tube of the frame. I was able to lower the seat at leas another inch. This actually involved breaking a weld. The factory had welded the seat post clamp to the bike. (PITA!)
I rode it around a little, and it seems to have helped.
Next I am going to lower the Ammo Can panniers about 3 inches down from their current mounting position.
I would like to modify the frame, but have to take it to a welder to do that.
I added a heavy duty intertube to the front wheel. No more flats for me. (Already had on in the rear.)
I also took the head of the engine and shaved it down a little to increase the compression. It actually seamed to start a little easier? Thought that was odd.
It looked like the head gasket might have had a slight leak. That may have made it harder to start I guess.
I bought a new fuel tank off ebay today. It is off of a 1973 Yamaha AT1 125 Enduro.
I finally can get rid of the peanut tank! Well, after I clean the new one up and paint it. It has a 1.8gallon capacity instead of the current .5 gallon. Looking forward to that.
I should be able to ride to work and back all week on 1 tank of fuel.
THAT IS AWESOME!
In the pictures, the front wheel is off now because I am taking it in for new bearings tomorrow. I can feel some grinding in there, and I don't want a wheel to lock up at high speeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lowered handlebars.jpg (318.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Lowered Seat Post.jpg (292.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg New Fork.jpg (316.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Overall.jpg (360.6 KB, 28 views)
Old 01-29-2014, 11:51 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEASURE TWICE View Post
I tested out my bike after changing the crankcase oil breather that was shot. The spring stuck open wider than it ever was supposed to be and never shut.

The paper airfilter new replaced, the foam prefilter cleaned and replaced, and now it is not smokey. I got a new prefilter, but soap and water did a fine job cleaning it after it dried.

Putting back the chain on the two sprockets of the two jackshafts (upper and lower) has always been a pain. The bottom movable jackshaft left and right sides adjust separately while I set the chain tension. I think I may make a connection some how if I find a way and weld the left and right sides as one, this would negate so much effort and time getting it set right.

The problem is that I do not want the connection to get in the way of the chain, sprockets, or anything else I may not figure in just yet that may be needed.

In any case it worked just fine and the chain rides smooth.

I will be continuing on making bosses on the frame to hold the skeleton structure for the Art Fish Covering that will be used in parades.

MT

Regarding your chain adjustment issue: Can you mount the bearings on a single plate that would then bolt to the existing mount and adjust both sides as one?
Just a thought....
Old 01-30-2014, 12:21 AM

That's a cool look'n bike Man

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner