Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors



Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #6721  
Old 12-31-2013, 11:56 PM
crassius crassius is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 2,971
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

done that a lot
__________________
Sometimes I sets and thinks, sometimes I jes sets.
Reply With Quote
  #6722  
Old 01-01-2014, 12:59 AM
placidscene's Avatar
placidscene placidscene is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 318
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

It was the best reaction to my bike that I had seen yet.
When I was leaving the parking lot with a 5 quart jug of motor oil in my ammo can rack, this lady watched me pedal and drop the clutch to start the engine.
Her eyes got real big and her jaw dropped! lol She looked completely amazed and in disbelief
Reply With Quote
  #6723  
Old 01-01-2014, 04:27 AM
Cruise's Avatar
Cruise Cruise is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 150
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

I wonder how many neck problems these bikes cause due to the old double-take.
Reply With Quote
  #6724  
Old 01-01-2014, 06:23 PM
placidscene's Avatar
placidscene placidscene is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 318
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

It was a nice day here today, I put another 30 miles on my bike. Good ride.

Yesterday I ordered a higher compression head from DAX, along with some various other parts. Looking forward to seeing what kind of a difference it makes.
When I put it on, I am thinking about pulling the piston and cutting up the skirt to eliminate the intake interference.
Reply With Quote
  #6725  
Old 01-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Greg58's Avatar
Greg58 Greg58 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Newnan,Georgia U.S.A.
Posts: 2,631
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

I did the piston skirt trim on one of my engines, what I did was remove the intake and use a sharpie to mark the piston where it needed to be trimmed. 2 door gave me some tips on what to do, don't remove more than you need to and don't trim the exhaust side. Removing too much will affect the balance of the crankshaft system.
__________________
Your results may not be the same,Greg
Reply With Quote
  #6726  
Old 01-01-2014, 10:45 PM
rogergendron1's Avatar
rogergendron1 rogergendron1 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: woburn ma
Posts: 882
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
I did the piston skirt trim on one of my engines, what I did was remove the intake and use a sharpie to mark the piston where it needed to be trimmed. 2 door gave me some tips on what to do, don't remove more than you need to and don't trim the exhaust side. Removing too much will affect the balance of the crankshaft system.
i do this to all my motors !

well about that loss of power and 1/2 throttle bog.... well i drained all the gas and reamed out the main jet to a .74mm and made shure there was no air leaks, then added high oct fuel mixed 50:1 and fired it up and the same problem ! didnt fix it !

just for kiks i swapped back to my old brigs filter and baaaam !!!! bike runs beautiful and will rev till it blows ! speeds up to 40mph !!!


what the heck ? is the sbp 90 deg filter restrictiing air flow and bogging my motor ?
or is it flowing too much air and making me run lean causing the bogging ??

ether way when i put that sbp filter on it bogs down like someone cut off the fuel air once i pass half throtttle !
put the old oversized brigs filter on and wow !!! it ripps now with the new .74mm jet size !!! even more power than before !!!!!


whats up here ? i thought this was supposed to be a performance filter yet my retro fitted brigs and straton air filter makes runs perfect and the sbp filter kills the performance ?


this bugs me as i have been around the block trying to find the problem here

checking for air leaks, rebuilding the carb, rejetting, draining gass, checking fuel flow, cleanning carb out, exe.... only to find out after a quick swap back to my old filter, its the new sbp filter itself thats causing the bogging issue !!!!
__________________
here to stay and compleatly insane ! deal with it lol
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread...485#post528485

Last edited by rogergendron1; 01-01-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6727  
Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 AM
mapbike's Avatar
mapbike mapbike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 5,379
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogergendron1 View Post
i do this to all my motors !

well about that loss of power and 1/2 throttle bog.... well i drained all the gas and reamed out the main jet to a .74mm and made shure there was no air leaks, then added high oct fuel mixed 50:1 and fired it up and the same problem ! didnt fix it !

just for kiks i swapped back to my old brigs filter and baaaam !!!! bike runs beautiful and will rev till it blows ! speeds up to 40mph !!!


what the heck ? is the sbp 90 deg filter restrictiing air flow and bogging my motor ?
or is it flowing too much air and making me run lean causing the bogging ??

ether way when i put that sbp filter on it bogs down like someone cut off the fuel air once i pass half throtttle !
put the old oversized brigs filter on and wow !!! it ripps now with the new .74mm jet size !!! even more power than before !!!!!


whats up here ? i thought this was supposed to be a performance filter yet my retro fitted brigs and straton air filter makes runs perfect and the sbp filter kills the performance ?


this bugs me as i have been around the block trying to find the problem here

checking for air leaks, rebuilding the carb, rejetting, draining gass, checking fuel flow, cleanning carb out, exe.... only to find out after a quick swap back to my old filter, its the new sbp filter itself thats causing the bogging issue !!!!
There is a very simple way to tell if the sbp filter is causing a lean condition or a rich condition on your engine...... just run it down the road with no filter at all and if it bogs then you know you still need to go up on the main jet, if it runs great then you know the briggs filter is flowing more air to engine, the cloth filters flow better than a paper filter and for them to actually filter the dirt and dust out they need to be sprayed with filter oil.

Map
__________________
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!
Reply With Quote
  #6728  
Old 01-02-2014, 01:28 AM
rogergendron1's Avatar
rogergendron1 rogergendron1 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: woburn ma
Posts: 882
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
There is a very simple way to tell if the sbp filter is causing a lean condition or a rich condition on your engine...... just run it down the road with no filter at all and if it bogs then you know you still need to go up on the main jet, if it runs great then you know the briggs filter is flowing more air to engine, the cloth filters flow better than a paper filter and for them to actually filter the dirt and dust out they need to be sprayed with filter oil.

Map
ok, so tune it with short runs and no filter !

i dont know why i didnt think of this, it cant flow any less restrictive than no filter, and if it bogs down with no filter than i am running too small of a main jet for my port job and carb size.... this also means that the paper filter that makes it work, is restricting air flow enough to make the too small main jet run correct fuel air ratio's.

but if it runs fine with no filter, well then i guess the bike is tunned correctly and the brigs oversized filter is not restricting it, and this would also mean that the small SBP filter is restrictive for a heavily ported china girl with a large carb.

i will put this to the test tomorrow, i hope the main jet is too small LOL this way i know i did not waste my money and going to the free flowing filter and a larger jet would result in more power !

as of right now with a .74mm main and the orange brigs filter and a 16mm carb and 16mm bore extended long intake, i just made a top speed run and broke my old grubee gt5's record ! this dax motor is turnning into a beast ! i pushed past the fastest speed i achived on my last motor and did it with less vibration and i felt some power left to spare but i pulled back on the throttle cause this motor just barley pased its break in period ! if i can get more air and fuel into her with larger main and a free flowing filter than i will be very happy !

i love the look on peoples faces when i blow past a moped on my bicycle !!!
__________________
here to stay and compleatly insane ! deal with it lol
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread...485#post528485
Reply With Quote
  #6729  
Old 01-02-2014, 11:47 AM
placidscene's Avatar
placidscene placidscene is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 318
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

DOUBLE TAKE, JAW DROPS, EYES WIDE OPEN! lol
Reply With Quote
  #6730  
Old 01-03-2014, 11:33 AM
Scootmeister Scootmeister is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 243
Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Absolutely nothing because I just picked up this 1972 Yamaha RT2 360 with 234 miles on it and I've been working to get it on the road. It's been sitting for over a year and had a pound of rust in the fuel tank, the petcock was clogged as was the carb. All are clean now and as soon as a couple of parts come in I will put her on the road. As soon as that project is completed, I'll be back on my motorized bicycle to add some chain guards and install new brake levers with built in switches for my brake light. Happy New Year all you two wheel enthusiasts/motorized bicycle riders!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01414_1U9TrA3ujI7_600x450[1].jpg (123.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 00D0D_7EAizUvDnaF_600x450[2].jpg (128.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 00a0a_bPF8GLGKHN5_600x450[1].jpg (83.2 KB, 34 views)
__________________
"If bulls didn't have horns, everyone would be a Matador".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.


Sponsors

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
MotorBicycling.com