Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Did my first cylinder inspection this evening. Not too bad.......there is slight scuffing on the exhaust side, however, the cylinder still feels shiny smooth. Exhaust port is squeaky clean, but it still looks like it's running slightly rich. If I lean it down anymore than where it's at, it's a biotch to start. I guess I'll leave it where it's at for now.

This is at about 350 miles.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Did my first cylinder inspection this evening. Not too bad.......there is slight scuffing on the exhaust side, however, the cylinder still feels shiny smooth. Exhaust port is squeaky clean, but it still looks like it's running slightly rich. If I lean it down anymore than where it's at, it's a biotch to start. I guess I'll leave it where it's at for now.

This is at about 350 miles.

Looks way better than mine. I've got a nasty groove in my jug. Still runs good though. lol
Old 10-23-2013, 09:38 AM

Marked out a template to both fab some ragjoints and re-drill a sprocket to suit a 68 spoke wheel.
Also discovered the brittle nature of the diecast clutch lever Assy as I tried to gently open the diameter of the handlebar hole a tiny amount. $nap !
Old 10-23-2013, 03:31 PM

Finished the Puch head install last night, had to grind down the 1/4 14mm long socket to fit in there. When I looked at the head studs the two at the rear of the motor are straight but positioned forward in the block so when you put the head on those rear studs are even harder to fit a socket over.

Performance, way increased! It was 35 degrees outside last night when we went for a 30 minute ride and in the flat straights my buddy Brian was just inching away from me, but he has a 4.5 hp arrow motor and is about 70 pounds heavier.

Basically my motor went from topping out at around 22 mph (remember Im at 5200 ft elevation) and last night I was gaining mph going uphill and as I went by a lamppost I could see I was at 22 mph and climbing. Now I really need an exhaust!!!!

Dan.

Thanks, again Map!!!!!
Old 10-23-2013, 05:18 PM

Talking Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danschutz View Post
Finished the Puch head install last night, had to grind down the 1/4 14mm long socket to fit in there. When I looked at the head studs the two at the rear of the motor are straight but positioned forward in the block so when you put the head on those rear studs are even harder to fit a socket over.

Performance, way increased! It was 35 degrees outside last night when we went for a 30 minute ride and in the flat straights my buddy Brian was just inching away from me, but he has a 4.5 hp arrow motor and is about 70 pounds heavier.

Basically my motor went from topping out at around 22 mph (remember Im at 5200 ft elevation) and last night I was gaining mph going uphill and as I went by a lamppost I could see I was at 22 mph and climbing. Now I really need an exhaust!!!!

Dan.

Thanks, again Map!!!!!
You're welcome Dan, Glad you're enjoying the added performance and of course the Puch head looks pretty cool in my opinion also, a good free flowing exhaust will add even more gain, just be sure to check the spark plug after you add a free flowing exhaust, dont want to have a lean run condition, if you're already a bit rich it may turn out to be a good tune for you but sure want to be for sure and not lean that engine to much.

Map
Old 10-23-2013, 05:43 PM

Just a question : why ? doesn't anyone use the grade 8 Allen bolts for the heads instead of ruining a socket or spending HRS. looking for a bolt with a small head, Allen bolt sockets are made for the bolts as well.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckd View Post
Just a question : why ? doesn't anyone use the grade 8 Allen bolts for the heads instead of ruining a socket or spending HRS. looking for a bolt with a small head, Allen bolt sockets are made for the bolts as well.
That is a good question. A couple weeks ago I picked up some grade 8 allen bolts for my next ragjoint install. Overkill but I think it will look good.

Dan.
Old 10-24-2013, 02:28 AM

I mean think about all the trouble everyone is going through to modify tools to get the bolts into a Puch head DAH! use an Allen bolt, I've even used them in my Fred Head and by the way this is what I did to my Pope/Shapleigh tore it down and stripped the head badge and polished it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2080 (960x1280).jpg (794.5 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by truckd; 10-24-2013 at 02:31 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckd View Post
There various reasons for using studs and nuts rather than just bolts to secure cylinders and heads;

1. Studs can help align the cylinder and/or head with the engine cases or block (this can eliminate the need for cyl. and head alignment pins and/or dowels).

2. Studs are not as likely to be twisted when the nuts are torqued down in comparison with bolts. The result is that studs offer increased torque accuracy as well as the ability to maintain their torque settings.

3. Assembly is often easier with studs (many automotive engine builders use several long studs that are lightly threaded into the block to help with cylinder head installation (these studs are removed and replaced with head bolts after the cylinder is seated to the block.

Note: imo, none of this means that you can't effectively use high grade Allen bolts in place of the cylinder/head studs on these engines.

Last edited by FMB42; 10-24-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 AM
$50 Cruiser

Yesterday I rode about five miles, and didn't worry about a thing. It's nice when you finally get em right.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner