Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Well, I found out that my bike absolutely hates 9000ft elevation. Didn't think it was gonna start --- ran like poop when it did. Never did get the carb adjusted to where it was acceptable. Decided the bike won't go to the mountains anymore.

With this in mind, I think that a question we should ask a 'newbie' is "what elevation do you live?" when they post that 'won't start' thread.
My 1976 Yamaha RD400C had a a small section/portion of the intake airbox that you could remove for high altitude riding. Removing this part returned the performance back to reasonable levels at ~ 8 thousand feet and above (it was a real dog at these altitudes unless you removed this part). Maybe you could try running a less restrictive air filter or airfilter cover at high altitudes...

Anyway, I recently ordered a couple of stock connecting rod small end bushings and received needle type bearings by mistake. Today I checked one of these needle bearings out only to find that there is no way I can run them. There's way way too much end-play or "side to side" clearance between the needle bearing/rod end and the piston pin bosses. Oh well, I've got another upgraded bushing on hand that I should be able to press in and ream as needed (I wanted to try a "practice" run on the bushing replacement procedure with a cheap stock bushing first).
Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason_man View Post
Thanks Guys, it'll be the chrome one.
Also the flywheel has been shaved and balanced, with a clear coat.
Whatta think???

Thanks,
Ray
INCREDIBLE!!!
Did you fabricate that motor yourself ? Or is it one you can buy?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Hooray, I got around to turning my pile of bike parts back into a bike. I hammered that Dax tension strap back into shape, replaced the studs and washers at the bottom with hex-head screws, nuts, and a lockwasher and nylock nut on each side. I put on some new "comfort pedals". I have these on the other motor assisted bicycle and they are nice for sneakers or boots. Not the best thing when wet, but I try to avoid wet weather anyway. $5 pair at Niagaracycle.com

Last edited by happycheapskate; 10-03-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:25 PM

Here are a couple wheels for you.

Alex rim, Wheelmaster built bolt on freewheel hub. I just got one of these for a bike. It's nice for classic stuff.
$27
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categori...h-ss14g-spokes

$40, Alex rim, 12-G stainless spokes 36h bolt on wheel, for 5/6 speed (shouldn't have to spread your frame much if any)
http://www.niagaracycle.com/categori...-ss-spokes-36h

I've run 3 speed freewheels on generic multi-speed hubs before. You can use them on BMX (singlespeed) hubs, or multi-speed hubs, as long as the axle spacing and wheel dish are correct or compensated.

Here: $10 for one, and free shipping, cheaper by the dozen!
http://www.sourcingmap.com/bicycle-s...-p-268417.html

Note: if your axle wasn't severely bent, and you didn't ride hundreds of miles on it that way, the races should be fine. You can get another axle for around $10 at BMX or bike shops, or off junk bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danschutz View Post
Bent my rear axle the other day and Im pretty sure the ride home the bearings gouged the races so I decided to swap my coaster brake wheel back on. As I messed with it I remembered why I didn't like the wheel in the first place, it spins pretty bad. Never having messed with a coaster brake I took it apart and sure enough bearings were pretty dry. So far Ive wiped off all the old grease on the axle and tomorrow I'll regrease everything with red bearing grease and see if it helps a little.

While I have your attention.......

I need some HELP picking out a new rear wheel for my new build.

Its a 70's Huffy frame and I have to spread the frame just a little to get my newer coaster brake wheel to fit so I was wondering can I get a 26 inch freewheel with just one sprocket without all the added width? Something like a bmx rear wheel but 26 inch. Heck even something wide enough for three sprockets may fir.

If you chuckle at my question please remember Im a newb! lol.

Thanks,
Dan.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 10-03-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:59 AM

In the last week I have put different wheels, Tires and heavy duty thorn resistant tubes on the Kulana, also put a new rear sprocket I drilled out for the stock coupler mount and was able to get things adjusted soem that my KMC415H chain has correct tension and the idler tensioner could be eliminated completely, I went up to a 36T in place of the 34T that was on the other rear wheel, cruise speed is still a nice 42MPH at the 7940RPM range and I stiil have the same 45MPH top speed on a slight decline.

Today, I put different bars on the bike and shortened the brake cables and also added a set of cushy foam grips which sure feel nice, bike rides like a dream with the balloon Tires VS the 26x1.75 tires I had on it before, now I need to get the RT carb put on and tuned, and I really need to get my exhaust built, what I have on it now is crazy loud, it runs great but it is seriously screaming down the road at 40+mph with the wide open pipe.

Map
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20131003_160721.jpg (604.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20131003_160748.jpg (524.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-04-2013, 09:06 AM

Sat on a bucket next to my new chopper and stared at it, taking in the feel of it and starting that big list in my head on what I want versus what I can achieve/afford.
Waiting for a shiny new motor in the mail.
Took it for a pedal for some bonding time before undertaking the big new fit-out.
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 AM

Apart from my bucket time, I rode my first build, (beach cruiser) to work. I have to go past an airport, so planes taking off next to me gives me that top-gun moment. Currently going quite well after a recent rear-bearing explosion called for a quick job involving grease and new bearings. Rolls for ages now.
Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 AM

I picked up a new back rim/set of tires last night. Rebuilt my coaster hub, laced and tru'd it this morning.
Old 10-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

I finished this.

I think I have lost my mind. Can't stop playing with these things.

Will finish the Cheapo Mountain bike today as well.

Cant wait to start on a 4 stroker but need advise. Will have to check out all the builds on this site.

It is a sickness...
Old 10-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
I finished this.
yeah, good price on those clairmonts right now - bought three to do - so far 3 of the 6 fenders have broken & been repaired

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner