Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-30-2013, 10:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Link Draco? Really enjoy your posts.
Here it is...
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.p...4&postcount=58
Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 PM

took my motor apart in the front yard .as i was putting the piston retaining clips back on it, one popped off into the grass! dammit lol hopelessly lost forever tried a big magnet but gave up after a few hours of searching.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaddy1980 View Post
took my motor apart in the front yard .as i was putting the piston retaining clips back on it, one popped off into the grass! dammit lol hopelessly lost forever tried a big magnet but gave up after a few hours of searching.
Sometimes, a flashlight at night will illuminate many things.

Good luck!
Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 PM

I would always put down a tarp or at least a good size piece of a paste board box, it sucks loosing stuff in the grass, done it a couple times in my life also.... and knew I should have put something down just in case but didn't... , its a hind sight is 20/20 moment....LOL!

Map
Old 07-30-2013, 11:45 PM

i've lost lock washers before. I put all my small parts on a shop towel now if I work in the yard.
I mostly tough it out and work on the concrete porch, but sometimes that's hard to do.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:01 AM

I loosened the screws on my carburetor petcock just a bit. I have been having some issues lately with rough idle and the engine stalling when I give it gas. As far as I know, there are two main things that cause these issues. Fuel flooding and fuel starvation. Fuel flooding is easy to diagnose. Try and start it with the choke on, and it wont start. Completely shut your fuel off and try to start it again. Eventually the engine will clear the flood and there will be enough gas left in the bowl to start the engine. Fuel starvation is pretty much the opposite. It wont start with the choke on or off, and it wont start with the fuel off either. I was having trouble starting the bike earlier when I wanted to test my generator/charger setup. I did eventually start it, but it got me thinking, and here is why. About a month ago I took a spill and my carburetor fuel shutoff lever snapped off. I got a replacement, and when I installed it I tightened the petcock screws as tight as they would go. The fuel lever was very hard to turn after this. There are different variations of petcocks, here is how mine works. On the bottom of the petcock, there are two small round "pegs" for lack of a better term, and two corresponding small round holes. There is a rubber washer with 4 holes in it, the pegs in the bottom hold the rubber washer in place. The fuel shutoff lever has an opening to let fuel pass through it. When the lever opening is over the holes in the bottom, the valve is open. When the lever opening is over the pegs, its closed. On top of the fuel lever is a deformed (purposely deformed) metal washer and over that is the top part that screws on and keeps everything together. The metal washer is deformed to apply pressure so the petcock doesn't leak. But I'm thinking too much pressure would possibly prevent fuel from flowing properly. So I loosened the screws a quarter turn at a time until the lever became easier to turn. I then started the engine to listen to the idle, and I've got to be honest it sounded much smoother. Before it would get real low and then speed up. Now it sounds like a pretty even tone. I believe I have solved the problem, but I'll know for sure when I see how she performs on my way to work in the morning. She performed fine until I began having these issues, so who knows? In my experience with these bikes, something can be adjusted wrong, but still seem to work ok for awhile, then all of a sudden there is a problem. I really dont know what to think, but I hope I've fixed the problem.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:12 PM

Installed my new fuel filter. I think I need to trim some more line off the top, kinda making the whole thing tilt. lol

*EDIT*
I also drilled a hole in my air cleaner housing and cleaned everything. No difference. Still 4 strokes at full throttle. hmmmm

Last edited by dodge dude94; 07-31-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

So this is probably the wrong section, but I have a ktmc from DAX for sale. Its got a few hours on it, under ten. I am a china motor man, would be willing to do a partial trade for a pk80. My email is austinmanca@yahoo.com
Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 PM

Well, simply loosening the screws on the petcock did not work as well as I thought it would. Was heading to work, engine stalling again. Tried playing with the idle and a couple other things, nothing. Bike would only start with the choke on, if I turned the choke off or gave it gas, it died. I decided to take my air filter cover and bowl off the carb. the first thing I noticed was a crapload of dirt in the air filter. Cleaned that and decided to remove my breather tube from my pcv inlet on the carb. Eventually I'll find something to use as a catch can, but for now I'm venting the crankcase to open air. I also found a ton of crud in the gas that was in the bowl when I drained it. Once I opened both petcocks and no gas came out with the bowl off, I knew it was a fuel flow issue. I took the carb petcock off and put it back together, and the fuel started flowing again. After a few attempts to start, she finally fired up and stayed running. Gave her gas and she didn't die. I killed the engine several times and restarted it to make sure it wasn't a fluke. The engine runs perfectly fine now. I'm extremely happy. I also played around with my generator mounts a bit, because the generator which was free and came without all the hardware, had moved and wasnt making contact with the tire. I used a hose clamp to put some tension on the mounts to where it wont move anymore, so thats good to go now too. Ordered a 12v sla battery to replace the nicads that are currently wired in series to produce 14.4v (actually something like 16v when fully charged) because with the charger only putting out 12v, its actually draining the battery. I'm going to disconnect the charger from the battery until the new one arrives.
Old 08-01-2013, 05:33 AM

I installed a new carb-to-spacer gasket that I made myself (felpro gasket paper and razor blades), and adjusted my rotary-valve walbro carb.

The bike runs nicely now, without a bunch of four-stroking noise and clutch ringing, and now it has more power.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner