Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors



Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #5651  
Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 PM
dracothered's Avatar
dracothered dracothered is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Howell, MI.
Posts: 974
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Worked on the AMF's battery box that I am making out of an old chain saw gas tank.

Reply With Quote
  #5652  
Old 07-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Matheneyr3's Avatar
Matheneyr3 Matheneyr3 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Carolinas
Posts: 100
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Great Battery box- Nice idea !
Reply With Quote
  #5653  
Old 07-26-2013, 01:19 PM
dodge dude94's Avatar
dodge dude94 dodge dude94 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,017
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Well, 300 miles, decided to pull my head and replace the gasket, it was looking kind of sad. Found a nice streak on the inside of my jug. I think the cheap chrome plating is not working very well. lol Also clean the head as well, apparently the sanding job I had done a couple months ago has worked well, as the carbon film is very smooth, not rough and sooty like it was before.



Nice chocolate brown:


Lovely streaks...


Pay no mind to the ridge in the head, manufacturing ridge. This was after I sprayed the crap out of it with TB cleaner
__________________
2 WHEELS: '11 Huffy Good Vibrations, '11 Skyhawk GT5, 44t, CNSV2, NGK BPR7HIX, Bosch wire, shutupexhaust, 26x1.75kevlar tires, Tektro C230's, new stupid Bell chain
Reply With Quote
  #5654  
Old 07-26-2013, 02:34 PM
mapbike's Avatar
mapbike mapbike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 5,379
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Are those streaks actually grooves or are they just discolored areas?

The widest mark that goes all the way to top of cylinder could only be caused by something being between piston and cylinder and riding on top of top piston ring at some time or the other, the second streak is in the area that the piston ring retaining pin would be at, if it has worked out of the piston and is rubbing against cylinder wall that is why that mark is likely there.
Might not be a bad idea since your already into it this far to go ahead and pull that jug/cylinder and take a look at the piston ring retaining pin and see if it has worked out against the cylinder wall, if it has I'd get me a new piston asap or you will destroy the engine in time as that groove gets deeper.

if you cant feel a groove with your finger nail then maybe its not an issue but if you can feel a groove you have a problem, my cylinders with 1000-2000 miles on them dont look like that....

Map
__________________
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!
Reply With Quote
  #5655  
Old 07-26-2013, 02:49 PM
dodge dude94's Avatar
dodge dude94 dodge dude94 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,017
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Are those streaks actually grooves or are they just discolored areas?

The widest mark that goes all the way to top of cylinder could only be caused by something being between piston and cylinder and riding on top of top piston ring at some time or the other, the second streak is in the area that the piston ring retaining pin would be at, if it has worked out of the piston and is rubbing against cylinder wall that is why that mark is likely there.
Might not be a bad idea since your already into it this far to go ahead and pull that jug/cylinder and take a look at the piston ring retaining pin and see if it has worked out against the cylinder wall, if it has I'd get me a new piston asap or you will destroy the engine in time as that groove gets deeper.

if you cant feel a groove with your finger nail then maybe its not an issue but if you can feel a groove you have a problem, my cylinders with 1000-2000 miles on them dont look like that....

Map
Well, it's back together. The streaks are grooves. I don't think the retaining pin is the problem, because if you look, both are just to the right of the exhaust port. If it were the retaining pin wouldn't it be right on with the transfer port? It just doesn't make sense, engine runs well, no weird noises, has good power. I dunno, maybe when I get a job I'll just replace the top end on it and call it a day. Granted, by that time I'd probably be looking at a complete engine replacement. (dax lower, you know. )
__________________
2 WHEELS: '11 Huffy Good Vibrations, '11 Skyhawk GT5, 44t, CNSV2, NGK BPR7HIX, Bosch wire, shutupexhaust, 26x1.75kevlar tires, Tektro C230's, new stupid Bell chain
Reply With Quote
  #5656  
Old 07-26-2013, 03:50 PM
mapbike's Avatar
mapbike mapbike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 5,379
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Actually if piston wa sin backwards the retaining pin for piston ring would be in that exact spot, got a jug and a piston in front of me now and that is what it shows would be the case, as long as it is running good just run it and if it goes ka-poot..... than you can go from there since you cant change any parts right now, it will probably be fine, just giving you some ideas on what it could be thats causing the grooves, if it is that pin it will get worse until the pin is able to come out and then you will have serious issues more than likely but maybe that wont happen..... fingers crossed for ya bro.

Map
__________________
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!
Reply With Quote
  #5657  
Old 07-26-2013, 03:52 PM
dodge dude94's Avatar
dodge dude94 dodge dude94 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,017
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Actually if piston wa sin backwards the retaining pin for piston ring would be in that exact spot, got a jug and a piston in front of me now and that is what it shows would be the case, as long as it is running good just run it and if it goes ka-poot..... than you can go from there since you cant change any parts right now, it will probably be fine, just giving you some ideas on what it could be thats causing the grooves, if it is that pin it will get worse until the pin is able to come out and then you will have serious issues more than likely but maybe that wont happen..... fingers crossed for ya bro.

Map
Gotcha now.

I pop the top on my engine every 100 or so miles anyhow, so if anything happens, I'll find it.
__________________
2 WHEELS: '11 Huffy Good Vibrations, '11 Skyhawk GT5, 44t, CNSV2, NGK BPR7HIX, Bosch wire, shutupexhaust, 26x1.75kevlar tires, Tektro C230's, new stupid Bell chain
Reply With Quote
  #5658  
Old 07-26-2013, 04:11 PM
mapbike's Avatar
mapbike mapbike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 5,379
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge dude94 View Post
Gotcha now.

I pop the top on my engine every 100 or so miles anyhow, so if anything happens, I'll find it.
Sounds good man...... happy safe riding wishes....!

map
__________________
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!
Reply With Quote
  #5659  
Old 07-26-2013, 04:15 PM
dodge dude94's Avatar
dodge dude94 dodge dude94 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,017
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Sounds good man...... happy safe riding wishes....!

map
Thanks for the well wises.
__________________
2 WHEELS: '11 Huffy Good Vibrations, '11 Skyhawk GT5, 44t, CNSV2, NGK BPR7HIX, Bosch wire, shutupexhaust, 26x1.75kevlar tires, Tektro C230's, new stupid Bell chain
Reply With Quote
  #5660  
Old 07-26-2013, 05:33 PM
mapbike's Avatar
mapbike mapbike is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 5,379
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge dude94 View Post
Thanks for the well wises.
Your welcome.... just keep the rubber side down.

map
__________________
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 PM.


Sponsors

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
MotorBicycling.com