Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:38 PM

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Today I dropped off my newly built wheel at the bike shop to have it trued. I went up to the counter and told the guy I'd laced it myself, but wasn't ready to attempt trueing. He said lets look and see if its laced correctly. It was, so that made me feel pretty good. I would actually encourage others to learn how to lace wheels. Its not terribly difficult. I may build my own wheels for my next build, but that's a long ways off yet. The next project that I've got in mind will cost 3 times as much as my current build, and I will need to have a better work space than what I do currently. But lacing this wheel has given me a new sense of accomplishment, despite all the frustration I've dealt with over my recent wheel troubles. I'll be back on the road by Sunday at the latest. I'm very happy.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

I took mine down for a spin to the bank today
Old 07-24-2013, 05:18 PM

Today I drained the oil, removed my clutch and gearbox, tightened all my crankcase bolts then loosened them one at a time to put blue threadlocker on. Put the gearbox back on, tightened everything back down, and put fresh oil in. What I used to do whenever I changed the oil was have a funnel and a jug and put the funnel right under the oil drain hole, but I always spilled oil everywhere anyway. The bike is down in the basement right now, and I couldn't spill oil all over the place down there because we share the basement with out neighbors. So instead, I put an oil pan under the bike and just let the oil drip. Much less mess, and I can pour the oil into the jug when I'm done. I'm doing the oil this way from now on.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Pulled my front wheel and took it to get trued.

Currently been out riding it, waiting for it to cool down a tad cuz I wanna pull my air cleaner. Think the filter is gummed up, sounds like it's 4 stroking.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 PM
STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER

After riding around town with one motorized bicycle buds came home and decided to make a truing stand for my wheels . So I took my original fork from my bike and did some modifications to it so I could chuck it in the vice . Then at lunch while having lunch I sat the about 6 YouTube videos on how to true a bicycle wheels. I just finished secondary back wheel it turns out it's pretty easy. I'll order some spare spokes to have them on hand. No more money for the bike shops. Yea!!!$$
Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffydavidson View Post
After riding around town with one motorized bicycle buds came home and decided to make a truing stand for my wheels . So I took my original fork from my bike and did some modifications to it so I could chuck it in the vice . Then at lunch while having lunch I sat the about 6 YouTube videos on how to true a bicycle wheels. I just finished secondary back wheel it turns out it's pretty easy. I'll order some spare spokes to have them on hand. No more money for the bike shops. Yea!!!$$
Learning to true wheels is something I've had my mind on. I've already got another set of wheels ordered to have spares. Have a book on how to do it. Now I guess I've got to get a truing stand and watch some videos.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:37 PM
STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER

Ken , get an old fork and a couple of zip ties and put them on the fork for point indicators . the videos are easy man .I'm tired of giving my money away .thats 15 or 20 dollars every time towards happy hour .LMAO
Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 PM

My wheel was trued for $5.40.

Suckers.

My bike has officially turned 300 mi old now.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffydavidson View Post
Ken , get an old fork and a couple of zip ties and put them on the fork for point indicators . the videos are easy man .I'm tired of giving my money away .thats 15 or 20 dollars every time towards happy hour .LMAO
Yes, I understand that. I will be on the look for videos involving bicycles and wheel truing poor dummies.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 AM

I put some shrink tubing on a ground wire. When I did the wiring on this bike, I forgot to put shrink tubing on the wire before crimping the eyelet connector on (the ground wires are bolted to the luggage rack and the seatpost clamp bolt). So I covered the end of the wire with electrical tape, meaning to find a more permanent solution later but forgetting. My bike got a little wet the other day, and my lights went all wonky. Neither my brake light nor my headlight would work right by themselves, only if I activated them both at the same time. This morning I disconnected and reconnected the ground wires from the battery, and both lights returned to normal operation. I had other things to do on the bike, and didnt really think too much about the ground wire being insulated properly until now. I knew if I didnt take care of it right away, it would bug me until I either did take care of it or forgot about it again. So I went down, undid the crimp very carefully with a pair of diagonals, selected the shrink tubing I wanted, cut a few lengths, slid it over the wire, crimped the connector back on, pulled out the lighter I keep in my pocket (I dont smoke anything, just carry a lighter in case I need it), and shrunk the tubing, then bolted the wire down again. Lights still work, so I didn't screw anything up.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner