Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I tried my hand at 'trueing' my front wheel. This is something that I used to be really proficient, however, it's been about 35 years since I've done this.

My result, though not nearly perfect, is a lot better than it's original state. There is no slight rubbing on the brake pads as the wheel rotates. Gonna call this a success!

My bike now pedals and coasts like it has no additional chain and an engine attached to it.
Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM

I've been riding to work as often as I can. On the way home monday, the back wheel had that weird 'not right' feeling you get on a soft tire or loose spokes. Took a look down at a stop light to see a spoke flopping out to the side. Not good. I secured the broken end and babied it home the last few blocks. Today I'll drop the wheel and see about replacing the spoke. It'll depend on the bike shop's time and rates as to whether I just buy the spoke(s) I need and have at it or whether I'll let them do it.

If I can get that done today I'm back on the bike tomorrow. If it goes well, I might even get to a second coat of blue on my cruiser's tank.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM

Today was a LONG but very productive day of motorized bicycle repair. Last week I took a little spill and one of my forks was leaking oil. Today I took both forks apart, drained the oil, took the forks apart, cleaned the seals and the area around them, and reassembled. The forks don't seem to be leaking, but I'll have to take a ride to be sure. I also redid my headset bearings. Was having trouble with my steerer tube wiggling around, so I tightened the top cone really tight and it solved the problem, but I didn't like that solution. I got the idea from another thread to put loose bearings in the top bearing cup, so I did that today and it worked like a charm. No more wiggling and the fork turns freely, which is how it should be. I also put a beefier bolt and nylock nut where my front brake arm attaches to the bracket that holds it in place. Had to make the hole on the brake arm bigger to take the beefier bolt. The drill battery was dead, so I turned the drill bit by hand with a wrench. Worked like a charm. The only bad thing about today is that the forks were such a pita that it took me a total of about 6 hours to get everything done. But I'm this much closer to having a totally tip-top bike. All I need now is a new back wheel, which I'll be ordering with my next paycheck.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I rode mine home from work. no time to ride to work.
I also got in an argument over the carburetor tuning of my new engine with MR Know-it All insisting that running it on the second step of the needle is to lean (stock NT carb), and using a 50:1 mix with a synthetic Universal mix oil is going to blow up my engine.
For the record the plug center is dry and a touch dark, with just a bit of oil on the outer ring. in my eye I would call it either a touch lean, or cold.

His bike drips oil everywhere, but i must say it does fly.
Old 07-10-2013, 08:27 PM

Well, things worked out. I took the old wheel up to the bike shop. I was going to hop the bus, then decided to take the car instead. Scored almost an hour and a half someone else paid for on a parking meter three doors down from the store. That let me check a few other bike shops in the area while I waited for them to swap my cassette to the new wheel.

I ended up buying a new wheel, even managed to get a 36 spoke instead of the 32 I had. The old one's on the rack in the garage, I can always strip it for spokes if/when I need them. The rag joint went together smoothly, the wheel barely argued going back into the dropouts. I was using an axle mount kickstand, but I left it off this time and am trying a center stand. If it doesn't hold up I'll switch back.

Took it for a quick test, and it's good. Nice to have a solid wheel under me again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New 36 spoke wheel next to old 32 spoke wheel.jpg (212.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Old 32 spoke wheel.jpg (188.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Rag joint lines up.jpg (147.9 KB, 26 views)

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Today I just rode and rode, just enjoyed the weather. Went through about 3/4ths of a tank, some cops were pointing and laughing at me as I flew by them lol but I kept my 25mph cruise speed going. Tomorrow, it will be a more productive, tweak the bike day.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:26 PM

Let them laugh. They probably wish they were on a motor assisted bicycle instead of watching cars. 25 is fast when it's free! I love my motor assisted bicycle. It's almost free to drive it compared to my car, which eats money just to go to town and back.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Yeah tell me about it. Gotta love the laws in Michigan about these bikes.
Old 07-11-2013, 05:03 PM

Sanded and ran the second coat of blue for the cruiser's tank. Should be ready for clearcoating soon.
After that I hooked the trailer up to Harley's bike and we went down to the recycling depot. Ten bucks worth of bottles and cans, that'll keep the MABs fed for a little while. The new back wheel feels good, still not sure about the center kickstand though.

-=-

Old 07-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Yea it was good to get out today. My right knee has decided that it is too old for this cr*p and has been giving me a hard time.
Getting old sucks

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner