Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Well didn't ride any today but I did get my two 1 meter sticks of 8M 1.25 8.8 grade all threads in the mail yesterday for making my own cylinder studs, I also got my stainless steel true acorn nuts, slowly getting more and more parts and pieces for my dax lower, jug ported real nice now, need to cut piston skirt to clear intake port after I make new jug to case gaskets, I plan to run two gasket in the beginning so I'll cut skirt to clear a two gasket set up and then if I decide to drop port timing back to normal I'll still be good on the piston, i'm convinced now that the only way I'll see the extra speed and power I want is to go with larger carb than the NT or the Dax RT, I plan to do a little more work on it tomorrow if I can squeeze it into the busy day I have planned.

Happy safe riding all..
map
Old 07-04-2013, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
what intake do you plan to use and do you have a good source for the cables?

I'm really interested in that carb also.....

Map
I actually ran this carb before in the 19mm version. It is spigot (AKA rubber hose) mount so you hose-clamp one end to the carb and the other end to the intake. I use a standard maniac machined intake. I make my own cables

edit: if you wanna go big ive been wanting to try one of these for a while.... XD http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...038073830.html

Last edited by Moto; 07-04-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto View Post
I actually ran this carb before in the 19mm version. It is spigot (AKA rubber hose) mount so you hose-clamp one end to the carb and the other end to the intake. I use a standard maniac machined intake. I make my own cables

edit: if you wanna go big ive been wanting to try one of these for a while.... XD http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...038073830.html
Thanks for the info Moto, I haven't run one of these type carbs on my bikes so wasnt sure about the type of ends the cables may have.

Do they just need a correct size amount of solder put on the end of the correctly measures length of cable from end of jacket to tip of cable simular to what is needed for the NT carbs cable end?

I am convinced that I will need a larger, better flowing, more tunable carb to get the extra speed and power I'm looking for from my next build, will have better cyl. head and I've ported my jug well so that it will flow much better but all that porting doesn't do much good without the ability to put more air and fuel into the engine as in requires it at higher revs.

dang good price on that carb no doubt.....
Old 07-05-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Thanks for the info Moto, I haven't run one of these type carbs on my bikes so wasnt sure about the type of ends the cables may have.

Do they just need a correct size amount of solder put on the end of the correctly measures length of cable from end of jacket to tip of cable simular to what is needed for the NT carbs cable end?

I am convinced that I will need a larger, better flowing, more tunable carb to get the extra speed and power I'm looking for from my next build, will have better cyl. head and I've ported my jug well so that it will flow much better but all that porting doesn't do much good without the ability to put more air and fuel into the engine as in requires it at higher revs.

dang good price on that carb no doubt.....
Yup just solder like the NT. They are awesome carbs - leave it to the italians to make great motor parts... I can say for a fact that the boost this carb gives from 30 to top speed when paired with a good pipe and a fast engine is epic if not terrifying. I can only imagine how the 21mm is going to feel (if it is not rediculously too big...) The only thing is that they are an absolute B!TCH to tune - with 3 jets a mixture screw and a needle clip there is a whole lot of adjustments to be done

Last edited by Moto; 07-05-2013 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:14 PM

I was leaving work, and discovered that my kickstand bolt was loose......again. So I went to Lowe's because its right near my work, and got a flat washer and lock washer for it. The lock washer that came with the kickstand failed a long time ago, so I've been using (wasting) blue locktite on it. I just got sick of it always coming loose. I parked at the entrance door, pulled the bolt off, went in and found washers that fit, paid, came right back out and put it back together before leaving. Then I got home, checked my oil (still clean and full) and put some air in my tires. One of these days soon gonna spray my chains with degreaser and put some wax chain lube on them and get some brake cleaner to clean my clutch.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:46 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

I'm waiting for my new Pig motor to ship. This big HardRock frame is so sweet!
whitewalls and possibly shorty fenders look so retro on this thing.
Old 07-05-2013, 09:23 PM

I pulled my bicycle trailer off the garage wall to use in the 4th of July parade tomorrow (we always have our parade the Saturday after the 4th). Unfortunately, the left side of my rear axle is too short to bolt on the trailer tongue connection. No problemmo, the solution was to make an adapter to extend the length of the threaded axle. I took a very long crown nut with the same threads as my axle and ground the end off to expose threads on both ends. I then tightened the coupler onto the axle and screwed a 1 1/2" section of axle stock into the open end. I slipped the tongue connector over the extension and applied an extra thick nut. I took the bike and trailer out for a test ride and it worked great. Photos of adapter attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN3148.JPG (329.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN3149.JPG (370.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootmeister View Post
I pulled my bicycle trailer off the garage wall to use in the 4th of July parade tomorrow (we always have our parade the Saturday after the 4th). Unfortunately, the left side of my rear axle is too short to bolt on the trailer tongue connection. No problemmo, the solution was to make an adapter to extend the length of the threaded axle. I took a very long crown nut with the same threads as my axle and ground the end off to expose threads on both ends. I then tightened the coupler onto the axle and screwed a 1 1/2" section of axle stock into the open end. I slipped the tongue connector over the extension and applied an extra thick nut. I took the bike and trailer out for a test ride and it worked great. Photos of adapter attached.
Ingenious!
Old 07-06-2013, 12:29 AM

Smile Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootmeister View Post
Thats what we call good ole southern ingenuity around these parts where I'm from.... great job " improvise, adapt and overcome "

map
Old 07-06-2013, 02:02 AM

Well, I found out that this model of Huffy front wheel cannot use a regular type of bearing --- you have to use the individual BB bearings....9 on each side. Tried to make a regular bearing work, but no dice. The interior race/cone isn't inset enough to allow the use of a dust cover. Oh well....

However, I made a minor discovery this evening. A used toothbrush is an excellent grease packer for the bearings and cones!! I almost felt guilty in how clean my fingers remained after the procedure......almost. The toothbrush is a great way to dip into your grease cartridge (yeah, I'm too cheap to have a tub of grease and the cartridge for the grease gun). It also helps to evenly distribute the grease!!

I also upgraded my front brake pads (again) while I had the front wheel off. I guess my savings from not buying a tub of grease paid for the upgraded pads. Rationalization......

Last edited by xseler; 07-06-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner