Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:24 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

i built a headlight for my bike with pvc and a mr16 led bulb and a sla battery also hooked it up to my rear light im not impressed with the lights power it doesnt light up the road well but it makes me very easly seen so its a trade off
Old 01-10-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAlaskan View Post
i built a headlight for my bike with pvc and a mr16 led bulb and a sla battery also hooked it up to my rear light im not impressed with the lights power it doesnt light up the road well but it makes me very easly seen so its a trade off
I was wondering what you used for the reflector in your headlight but didn't see it mentioned then you say it doesn't illuminate the road very well. That's why, no reflecting surface behind the bulb to throw the light to the front.

All you need is a good reflecting surface. Last nights snowfall here in town gave a very nice reflecting surface for all the lights here. I could see very well outside last night because all of the snow reflecting the street lights and peoples porch lights.

If nothing else try putting a small mirror behind your bulb and see if that gives you better road illumination.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:00 PM
Staff

This week end, swapped out 44T rear sprocket for brandy new, super shiny, cool 50T. Kinda sucks. Well, not really, still accelerates just shy of what I need for city stop lights. But does have a few extra MPH and love the low revs. Sounds great. Gonna try a 54T. Then possibly a 52. I tell my self it is for the good of the community and to gain knowledge my self but really is more for the fun and love of tinkering.

Finally finished welding pipe. There is just no way to hide ugly welds, lol. But you could beat a large boulder to death with with my pipe and the welds would hold. Need more Practice.

Decided that I have to finally build a totally utilitarian MB. Bare no reguard for looks, cool or experimentation. Need to get on some other crazy stuff, (Flying/floating motorized bicycle and jet powered) Will start a thread so I actually keep to todays plan which is completely different then yesterdays and not as crazy as tomorrows.

Has to have a cruising speed of 35/40 MPH, full suspension. Generate electricity and of course, be named "Gertrude"
Always have to have one insane condition so you can forgo it when ya have to make compromises in the design. (35 MPH!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Hey Tom , love you garage clutter. I counted spokes today , does that count? Like the planes hanging down I am getting into that money eater too already got me one. that duce coupe the real thing? Ran by a farm that had six 52 or so ford trucks sitting in a corner rusting up. Oh well.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Staff

Had never heard of "arc blow" Wow. Thanks Blacen. Arc Blow

LOL @ "OH yea!!! we got that stuff up here too ya know." Yeah, but its colder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 01-10-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunyabidness
I was wondering what you used for the reflector in your headlight but didn't see it mentioned then you say it doesn't illuminate the road very well. That's why, no reflecting surface behind the bulb to throw the light to the front.

All you need is a good reflecting surface. Last nights snowfall here in town gave a very nice reflecting surface for all the lights here. I could see very well outside last night because all of the snow reflecting the street lights and peoples porch lights.

If nothing else try putting a small mirror behind your bulb and see if that gives you better road illumination.
well i guess i owe you a couple pics

this lighting system is kinda a prototype for my next build (coming along very slowly) im not too concerned with lighting up the road im more concerned with cagers being able to see me and its a bright light so they see me well but the beam is 30 degrees so it has no focus doesnt light up the road more than 20 ft

im just experimenting really and enjoy making my own lights its fun to do

i dont really see a way to put reflective material behind the light and im sure the bulb has some already

now dont judge me if my battery connection looks weak i put this entire lighting system together in about 30 minutes before work it was a hussle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear running light.jpg (139.2 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg new battery.jpg (147.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg headlight front veiw.jpg (142.6 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg headlight side view.jpg (116.4 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg headlight top veiw.jpg (98.6 KB, 47 views)
Old 01-10-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAlaskan View Post
well i guess i owe you a couple pics

this lighting system is kinda a prototype for my next build (coming along very slowly) im not too concerned with lighting up the road im more concerned with cagers being able to see me and its a bright light so they see me well but the beam is 30 degrees so it has no focus doesnt light up the road more than 20 ft

im just experimenting really and enjoy making my own lights its fun to do

i dont really see a way to put reflective material behind the light and im sure the bulb has some already

now dont judge me if my battery connection looks weak i put this entire lighting system together in about 30 minutes before work it was a hussle

I have a commercial LED headlight which is essentially a functional copy of your setup. The LEDs in these lights are merely floodlights. No reflector is POSSIBLE because each bulb is pre-focused with it's own front lens
Though I cna illuminate the pavement ahead of me, It's not bright enough

dealxtreme IS A SOURCE FOR SOME REALLY BRIGHT LED FLASHLIGHTS cheap !

I got a LED tactical flashlight using single CREE L.E.D. in a focused reflector. It is a BRIGHT SUMBUTCH ! It illuminates a telephone pole 1/8 mile away on full power (800 ma drain). Half power is pretty good too. Now i gotta SEE if the bike's dynamo will tolerate almost 1 amp drain. Otherwise I will recharge the Lithium battery it runs on(good for 2 hours)

yodar
Old 01-10-2011, 08:52 PM

After riding it for three days in a row, it finally snowed and snowed a lot! We had about 6 inches today in Georgia. I'm using the time to paint my wheels and fenders. Luckily I have the paint. I took it apart tonight and tomorrow hopefully I'll get some time to paint the stuff and get it back on just in time for the thaw and melt.
Old 01-10-2011, 10:00 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

the concave bottom of an aluminum can, polished with toothpaste (or, y'know, some polish) makes a cheap back-reflector for homemade lights.

today,i dropped some spokes off at the PO for silverbear, got some bandsaw blades and a few other things from home depot, and picked up some metal chunks for my exhaust flange and header pipe.

then, i finished my custom front fender, made the exhaust flange outta stainless steel, chopped up, turned, and bent up the header pipe on my biturbo exhaust so my buddy can weld it tomorrow.

mounted my tank with soldered copper straps, mounted an air filter, smoked a pack of cigarettes and drank a few beers.

tomorrow i should have the pipe on, then it's "done."

still gotta work up the lights with the dynohub, as well as a "standlight" (when the bike's stopped, the hub doesn't power the lights, so it's either super-capacitors or batteries) and a functioning hi beam and brake light.

i think i got it all figured out, just need to make it look cool.
Old 01-11-2011, 01:22 AM

Thumbs up Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodar View Post
Replaced that HUFFY P.O.S. stripped-thread when-tightened-out-the-slop-Chinese-made-kickstand with a Chinese made axle-mounted kickstand with which, perhaps I can start while standing.

ANYBODY got cone wrenches to sell??? My supplier is out of stock

yodar
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne z View Post
EGT actualy goes up significantly in colder weather. The cold dense air causes a leaner mixture because the molecules are much closer and more air is actualy entering the cylinder on each stroke.

In the ultralight community, they run their engines rather lean, monitored with guages, to avoid rings coking up and sticking.
Some of them have to richen their mixuire in cold weather to keep the temps below max allowed.

If your mixture is on the verge of too lean in warm weather, you could easily sieze the engine in cold weather.
Interesting I always would have thought the extreme weather would have gotten the better end of the deal. I know what you mean though about the denser air that's the reason I put the bigger front mount on my car colder air more power but I guess there's always too cold.
Cheers for that
Breno

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner