Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Man that sounds so exciting!

Keep us posted w/pics & video!
Old 06-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

how fast is the 32t sprocket how much speed can i get out of it vs a 36t sprocket dont know which one to buy trying to get up to 35mph or better
Old 06-15-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1 View Post
how fast is the 32t sprocket how much speed can i get out of it vs a 36t sprocket dont know which one to buy trying to get up to 35mph or better
Buy the 32t and run it.

If it works well enough for you, leave it in. If it doesn't work for you, install the 36t. If you like the 32t beter, reinstall the 32t.

Every situation is different, such as bike and rider weight, roads, hills or flats.

Sometimes we need to sacrifice $$, time and effort to the gods of Speed.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Weatherman said morning rain, and it was pouring. My thinking has always been "You will enjoy the pleasure of the afternoon ride home from work, if you endure the rain on the morning ride.".

In Hawaii, it rains in the morning and clears up 90% of the time in the afternoon. I have a change of clothing @ work and a shower stall. It wasn't pouring cats and dogs, so I rode without rain gear. To keep muddy water from being kicked into my face, I lowered my helmet shield and rode @ a slower pace. It took 5-10 minutes longer to reach work. My pants were half-soaked. My shirt was dry since I had my Fox chest protector on. The Schwalbe Big Apple tires never slipped throughout the commute.

Despite being wet, it was worth the morning ride.

The afternoon cleared up, although there was a slight drizzle most of the way. I noticed that the gears started to shift in delayed action and the bottom bracket freewheel felt "gravelly" and displayed red rust. I'll be sure to lube the bike over the weekend.

A city bus almost hit me in the crosswalk. I gave him "the finger" and he returned the digital salute.

On the way to the blood bank, I'll take my frame down to the LBS to match headset bearing for my RM80 triple tree bracket.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:52 PM

I got to see an RM125 triple tree bracket.

It is HUGE and weighs 5.6lbs! the steerer tube looks to be a tad over 1". It MIGHT fit my headset. However, I believe its size is not proportional to a bicycle.

Update: RM125 tube WILL slip into a 1" headset. However, the shaft's bottom is tapered to a larger diameter to accept a bigger cone-style bearing. You'd have to machine the tube to accept a standard 1" bottom bearing race, then shorten and rethread the shaft. Too much trouble and expense.

And I haven't even seen the 35mm fork tubes, which are larger than the 33mm RM80s. All this adds more weight, so I'll stick with installing an RM80 fork with motorcycle disc brake.

RM80s have a 17" front tire, RM125s have 26" tire. With the right axle and bearings, maybe the large wheel will fit in the smaller fork.

Update: YAY! RM80 triple tree fits an early cruiser frame like a glove!

It simply needs 38 ball bearings, 19 up/19 below the headset to match your standard cups. Balls are 3/16" size. I'm using the motorcycle's bottom bearing race and its top bearing retainer. Cost is less than $4. Upper bearing retainer must be reamed a fraction of a millimeter to clear the tube's machined shoulder. Instead of rethreading the steerer tube, a few large washers above the retainer will permit the ball bearings to be adjusted. The handlebar clamps are 7/8" and massive; no fear of cracking, and the standard bike handlebar should bolt on with no reaming. Then the RM80's brake lever should bolt onto my motorized bicycle.

Now I can start hunting for wheels, RM80 forks, axle and its entire front hydraulic brake system.

The first wheel I'll get is the RM125 26" one with disc rotor. Maybe an RM80 axle and bearings will slip onto the wheel.
And maybe the larger wheel's rotor will match the smaller fork's caliper. If that happens, I'm a happy camper. If the larger wheel won't fit, then I'll find
two RM80 17" wheels, one to run as is. The second one is to respoke its hub to the RM125's rim.
If I'm lucky there, the larger wheel's spokes can be re-used.

More researching needed.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 06-15-2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 PM

What did I do to my motor bike today? I knocked it over while adjusting the brakes and broke my brand new $35 windscreen. Then I had some choices to make. I could laugh, cry, or hang myself. So, when I was done laughing at myself for being STUPID, I went for a ride and just chilled. It was a great day after all.
fatdaddy.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 PM

Changed my tires today. Got some Kenda K838's (street tires) on amazon for $15 apiece and free shipping. They look pretty nice, and they don't rub the frame or the chains, so that's a plus.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:41 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Red face Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Hello fellow motto cyclers,

I started my build on the 12th, having purchased a CCM Scout 26 new the previous day and had the kit in the box. I set up in a corner of the living room of my one bedroom apartment (where I have no tools), assuring my girlfriend it would only take me a couple days to build... I learned what I needed about mounting the kit from youtube and realized I needed tools. I also found this site End of day 1

The next day I bought a dremel, a socket set, and I mounted everything...mostly. Fairly straight forward I thought. U bolt, rubber tape, line up with rear sprocket and have exhaust clear the pedals. Built the carburetor, installed the throttle/killswitch/handle, and placed the clutch handle. Realized I needed different brackets to mount my gas tank on my fat top tub. I also used the rag joint for the rear sprocket. End of day 2

At this point I think all I have left is to put the chain on, the gas can seems easy, but my 2 days are up. I have work for the next three days and my gf doesn't like me working on the bike while she is home. I do get the morning to work on it cause have an afternoon shift. I tidy up the length of clutch cable and zip tie down some things. Then I get to the chain. Put the tensioner on and figure out the chain length. I spend most of my time trying to break the chain. Thing won't fit in my chain breaker, can't bash out the pin, dremel breaks...Finally I go to the gas bar down the street and have buddy do it. Gave him a 5 for coffee, I think I will develop a working relationship with this auto mechanic. Putting the chain on shows me that I need to redo the rag joint. I may have put it on way to tight , ruined the nuts, some of the bolts, and on won't come off. End of day 3.

Had work all day and fathers day is tomorrow. I have Monday off and am hoping to get a new dremal, some nuts and bots, some brackets and get it all together.

Unfortunately this forum is a little too helpful and now I am getting cold feet about firing it up. There seems to be some things I have missed and I'm worried I may have missed more. I'm pretty sure once I run fuel through the system the problems with multiply. Things like cleaning the clutch with brake cleaner and greasing it. Cleaning the magneto. I wonder if these things can be done while the engine is mounted and if so should it be on it's side. I learned a great deal more about the carburetor and I question the O ring, the air filter, the little plate on the pin, and I have no idea about setting the idle.

If there are any other things I should be looking at or doing before I start my break feel free to let me know. I am about 900' above see level and have heard lots of things about fuel mixtures.

Sorry for the long post.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreHadaway View Post
Hello fellow motto cyclers,

I started my build on the 12th, having purchased a CCM Scout 26 new the previous day and had the kit in the box. I set up in a corner of the living room of my one bedroom apartment (where I have no tools), assuring my girlfriend it would only take me a couple days to build... I learned what I needed about mounting the kit from youtube and realized I needed tools. I also found this site End of day 1

The next day I bought a dremel, a socket set, and I mounted everything...mostly. Fairly straight forward I thought. U bolt, rubber tape, line up with rear sprocket and have exhaust clear the pedals. Built the carburetor, installed the throttle/killswitch/handle, and placed the clutch handle. Realized I needed different brackets to mount my gas tank on my fat top tub. I also used the rag joint for the rear sprocket. End of day 2

At this point I think all I have left is to put the chain on, the gas can seems easy, but my 2 days are up. I have work for the next three days and my gf doesn't like me working on the bike while she is home. I do get the morning to work on it cause have an afternoon shift. I tidy up the length of clutch cable and zip tie down some things. Then I get to the chain. Put the tensioner on and figure out the chain length. I spend most of my time trying to break the chain. Thing won't fit in my chain breaker, can't bash out the pin, dremel breaks...Finally I go to the gas bar down the street and have buddy do it. Gave him a 5 for coffee, I think I will develop a working relationship with this auto mechanic. Putting the chain on shows me that I need to redo the rag joint. I may have put it on way to tight , ruined the nuts, some of the bolts, and on won't come off. End of day 3.

Had work all day and fathers day is tomorrow. I have Monday off and am hoping to get a new dremal, some nuts and bots, some brackets and get it all together.

Unfortunately this forum is a little too helpful and now I am getting cold feet about firing it up. There seems to be some things I have missed and I'm worried I may have missed more. I'm pretty sure once I run fuel through the system the problems with multiply. Things like cleaning the clutch with brake cleaner and greasing it. Cleaning the magneto. I wonder if these things can be done while the engine is mounted and if so should it be on it's side. I learned a great deal more about the carburetor and I question the O ring, the air filter, the little plate on the pin, and I have no idea about setting the idle.

If there are any other things I should be looking at or doing before I start my break feel free to let me know. I am about 900' above see level and have heard lots of things about fuel mixtures.

Sorry for the long post.
Hi Hardcore, Welcome to motorbicycling.com. Please read the entire thread I'm giving you. There's a lot of info throughout it. THIS is the most critical part of the build.
TIGHT straight engine mount, MOTOR/CHAIN alignment. But don't get scared or anything, There's a lot of good folk here willing to help out. Before you go any further though, get yourself to the hardware store and get GRADE 8 nuts and bolts for the rag joint/sprocket set up. You'll thank me later.
fatdaddy.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=47778
P.S. Don't worry about fuel/air yet. It should start and run, Then see how she's doin.

Last edited by fatdaddy; 06-16-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

looked for it on craigslist...

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner