Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Broke 4 spokes my on rim. I went and bought another rim and will get the one repaired for a spare. What are the main causes for this to happen?
Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 PM

Let's see. Fixed my pullstart......twice. First time thought it was just stuck, so I took it off and re-wound it. Second time I was home from work and figured out the spring wasn't catching, so I screwed around with it for like two hours till I finally fixed it, hopefully for good. I also added some flat washers to my rear axle, two on each side, because my frame is wider than my hub and twice now I've caught my wheel rubbing my frame. Finally decided to rectify the problem, so hopefully now the wheel will stop moving and hitting the frame. I also had to replace a bolt on my 3rd motor mount, since one apparently broke and fell off. Noticed it today while I was working on everything else. Hopefully it won't happen again, but I'll keep an eye on it. In fact, I've got to start keeping a better eye on things in general. I will try to remember to do a visual inspection each time I start the bike. Gonna change the oil this weekend.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboricic123 View Post
Broke 4 spokes my on rim. I went and bought another rim and will get the one repaired for a spare. What are the main causes for this to happen?
The most common reason is loose spokes.
The second common reason is too thin of spokes. Most cheap wheels (read WalMart and similar store bought bikes) have spokes that are not really up to the task (that said, many wheels do still hold up for many miles).
The third has to do with #2. If the spokes are breaking on the sprocket side and you are using the kit supplied rag joint sprocket, the sprocket does put an unusual load on the spokes. Both by loading them laterally with engine power and that the rag joint tries to hold them out of true in relation from a straight line from the wheel hub to the rim. A tensioned spoke wants to be straight and true. The rag joint forces them to have a sort of a kink in them when they are compressed in the rubber-n-spoke sandwich.

Have your new wheel laced up with 11 gauge or 10 gauge spokes if you can.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 05-28-2013, 05:21 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Finally swapped to the new 36 tooth rear sprocket on The Pig.
Had to shorten the chain and redo the tensioner to get things aligned again.

Used my usual trick to break the chain as you can see to the left of the tensioner. The spot welds are barely visible where I broke the chain.

I am glad I finally swapped to the 36. It calms the bike down just right and still gives good cruising at lower speeds which make the motor happier.
I expect slightly better mileage too but we shall see...
Old 05-28-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac57 View Post
Finally swapped to the new 36 tooth rear sprocket on The Pig.
Had to shorten the chain and redo the tensioner to get things aligned again.

Used my usual trick to break the chain as you can see to the left of the tensioner. The spot welds are barely visible where I broke the chain.

I am glad I finally swapped to the 36. It calms the bike down just right and still gives good cruising at lower speeds which make the motor happier.
I expect slightly better mileage too but we shall see...
Nice Maniac!!
My bike goes 32 MPH with a 44 tooth WOT wound out tight,,,it cruises nice at 20-24,,will the 36 tooth allow me to cruise at 25-28,, what is your top speed now,,35,,and how is she on the hills???
My 44 pulls me up the steepest hills around here no pedal at all.

Good times....

Tom

Last edited by 577-Jersey; 05-28-2013 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:39 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 577-Jersey View Post
Nice Maniac!!
My bike goes 32 MPH with a 44 tooth WOT wound out tight,,,it cruises nice at 20-24,,will the 36 tooth allow me to cruise at 25-28 and what is your top speed now,,35???

Good times....

Tom
I'm not sure as my speedo took a giant s&^% from rf interference. It used to top out about 35 with the 41, so I'm guessing about 40. I don't scream my high mile engine very much so top speed does not matter much to me. I like how the 36 drops rpm at my happy cruising speed and reduces wear and vibration.This gearing puts the engine right in its sweet spot at my normal cruise speed which makes the bike nicer to ride. The the long pipe seems to match the gearing better now for a nice wide low end torque curve.
Good swap for riders in flat areas of the country!
Old 05-28-2013, 06:00 PM

Yeah,,Ill prolly settle for a 41 then..got some hills around here...if I can cruise at 25 with a lower rpm Im happy,,thats movin pretty good for a bicycle.

BTW-I think spot welding the pins on the chain is a great idea,,never have too worry about that little clip taking a ride again,,i carry extras in my bag in case.I was thinking these little motors are so easy and cheap to work on,,I could do a piston/ring/jug job right on the side of the road if I had too...lol..love these things!!!

Last edited by 577-Jersey; 05-28-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:59 PM

I've found that swedging those pins can often leave you with a stiff link - same for welding?

I'd miss having an easy way to pop the chain to fix a flat.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crassius View Post
I've found that swedging those pins can often leave you with a stiff link - same for welding?

I'd miss having an easy way to pop the chain to fix a flat.
My wheel comes right off after loosening the axle nuts,chain just hangs out,,guess every bike is different...good point though
Old 05-29-2013, 09:57 PM

Installed some new saddlebags (m-wave day trippers, $24 on amazon, free shipping with prime). Also fixed my front fork, which was a little loose. Put some blue loctite on the crown nut so it doesn't come loose again.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner