Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Was riding mine just a while ago, and noticed just as the speedo nudges over 30mph that the display goes to "0". Maybe it thinks that there's no way that a bike will go over 30mph? Thought at first that I'd flung the sensor off the spoke, but it was still there. When you stop then accelerate again, it's back to working fine. Oh well ---- that's an issue that's not worth worrying about, I guess.
I got one of those bell digital jobs at walmart for $20 and it goes back to wheel size setting by itself once in a while,,not sure why,,but when it happens the odometer goes back to zero,,kinda a PITA!!
Maybe a bad battery connection or sumthing?
Old 05-09-2013, 11:26 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

finally fixed up the cruiser i crashed almost 2 months ago.

got a steroid shot in my shoulder tuesday, so it was feeling better, so i pulled the whole bike apart, welded a new cable stop on the drum brake where the old one snapped off.

took the fender off and pounded out all the dents, took the front end apart, inspected the forks, bars, and stem to make sure nothing was cracked, bent, or busted.

regreased the front wheel and the headset, replaced a busted brake lever, and lubed up the throttle.

took the back wheel off and regreased the coaster brake, re-aligned the motor, cause it was knocked a little sideways.

put on some new kenda kiniption tires and wiped the whole bike down with wd40 to bring the 70 year old patina back to life...

then i rode it around the block.

still fast, still solid, and still smooth.

now my shoulder's killing me again. feels like i've been chopping wood all day.

i hate these stupid bikes...
Old 05-10-2013, 01:45 AM

These are good. $13 and free shipping. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WCI Quality Bicycle Computer/Atech

re: Walmart bike computer fritz. The battery could be about dead, have corrosion or a bad connection. Take it out, maybe clean the contacts and put tiny drop of dielectric grease on there. Dollar Tree and other dollar stores often have 3 packs and 1 packs of the batteries for $1. Write your tire size number on the computer so you don't forget it.

Make sure your magnet is lined up with the arrow on the sensor, and close enough to reliably cycle it, or the computer will go nuts and make weird displays.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:33 AM

The speedometer going back to 0 once it gets to 30, not sure what that's about. But the computer resetting itself is caused by interference, either from the cdi or the plug wire, or by having too many things grounded to the frame. I always had problems with the cycle computers, didn't matter if they were wired or not. One would just reset itself once in while, another would do it just about every day. One got completely fried. One I had last year acted a little wonky, but nothing serious until I installed a brake light. The brake light was grounded to the frame, and every time I squeezed the brake lever, the speedo would give a speed reading, but when the brake light was off, it stayed at 0 no matter how fast I went. Too many grounds to frame will create just enough of a magnetic field to confuse the sensor. I recently switched to a 4 stroke, and bought another cycle computer hoping that there wouldn't be so much interference. I was wrong. Installed it after work one day, and when I left for work the next day, the speedo constantly reset itself. I have a handlebar mount for a smartphone, so now I use that as a gps speedo, and its pretty much guaranteed accurate compared to a cheapo cycle computer.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:50 AM

I don't go by my odometer any more for the same reason, I go by oil burned.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTripps View Post
Pulled the carb off the cruiser and pulled it apart, trying to set the float level without it flooding and dribbling gas everywhere. It took a few tries, but I think I've got it now. Next will be to pull the exhaust and see if it's a bad weld or a bad gasket causing it to develop black drips at the engine. I just can't tell for sure which side of the flange the drip is forming from (engine or pipe).
So far I've set all my float levels(tangs) about 3/32(about 2.5 mm) from where gasket seats,,or bottom of the carb housing and they run great with no leaks.Last kit I got the float level was way too low so I bent the tangs up before I even tried to start it for the first time.Ive read somewhere around here that guys set them even a little closer like 1/16th.that seems a little to high too me,,plenty of fuel in the bowl the way I do it.

Good Times...

Tom

Last edited by 577-Jersey; 05-10-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:58 AM

re: interference and computer interruption. The happytimes are notorious for it.

Here is how to solve the problem.

1. Remove/unscrew the stock wire and boot. Replace with good automotive spark wire with good clip and rubber boot ($2-5). You can just cut the distributor side off if it comes with both. This helped my motor idle too. The stock boots have two wires/spring that is supposed to clip the threads on the plug, not the ball. When the rubber dries, the spark boot arcs! This is why CDIS fail, surely.

2. Make sure your electrical system is well grounded!

3. Put a new battery in the computer just to be sure. If the other is still good, you can use it later.

4. Put dilectric grease on the contacts between computer and mount. I wrap a strip of Gorrilla Tape around mine to make sure it doesn't ever fall off the mount (for the Bell cheapos) If you don't want tape, you can also put a dab of hot glue on somewhere, that you can melt off later to remove computer and
change the battery. Batteries should last for months.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 05-10-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:10 PM

FWIW, I'm running a Bell F20 wired bike computer on my bike and I have never had any problem with it resetting. Before or after I installed the Bosch plug wire.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdco View Post
finally fixed up the cruiser i crashed almost 2 months ago.

got a steroid shot in my shoulder tuesday, so it was feeling better, so i pulled the whole bike apart, welded a new cable stop on the drum brake where the old one snapped off.

took the fender off and pounded out all the dents, took the front end apart, inspected the forks, bars, and stem to make sure nothing was cracked, bent, or busted.

regreased the front wheel and the headset, replaced a busted brake lever, and lubed up the throttle.

took the back wheel off and regreased the coaster brake, re-aligned the motor, cause it was knocked a little sideways.

put on some new kenda kiniption tires and wiped the whole bike down with wd40 to bring the 70 year old patina back to life...

then i rode it around the block.

still fast, still solid, and still smooth.

now my shoulder's killing me again. feels like i've been chopping wood all day.

i hate these stupid bikes...
Take care, bairdco. Easier to fix bikes than bodies.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:22 PM

My tax returns arrived. Wife just returned from Vegas. She "had fun", another term for "I lost." So I get to spend $ on my bike. I pulled a Diamondback cruiser bike from the shed. Looking to build a center-mounted Tanaka 47R or GP460 and 8-speed hub.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner