Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-02-2011, 02:19 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Yesterday I ditched the rear caliper brake in favor of V brakes (welded on the posts and put the parts on along with a brake light switch). Huge difference in stopping with two Vs on the bike.
Was testing/ riding in the wet and it slowed better than dry weather previously.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:44 PM

A new set of tires mounted ( Schwalbe Fat Frank 28"x2.00", creme colored)
and a very old headlight with high- and lowbeam rebuilt....
Old 01-02-2011, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Screwed up...And a warning:
The kill button was sticking occasionally so I thought, 'hey, I'll just spray a little electrical contact cleaner and lubricant into the switch and fix it'...WRONG!

The red plastic button that holds the contacts turned to goo. The contact cleaner I used said "safe for plastic" on the label. Guess they didn't test it on the plastic used in the Chinese kill switch. It reacted as if I'd used some strong solvent. Instead of lubricating, it dissolved the plastic button. Luckily I had a spare and just finished installing it. Bottom line: Be careful what you use to lube a sticky kill switch.

Before I put the new switch on I took it apart and lubricated it with a silicone grease...I know it's safe for plastic.
Tom
Old 01-02-2011, 03:26 PM

i ride mine every day .. i tighten her up all the time and i am working on a quiet exhaust but i need to know the bolt size to the motor mounts.. mine vibrated out. can someone help me ?
Old 01-02-2011, 03:52 PM
Gutter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2door View Post
Screwed up...And a warning:
The kill button was sticking occasionally so I thought, 'hey, I'll just spray a little electrical contact cleaner and lubricant into the switch and fix it'...WRONG!

The red plastic button that holds the contacts turned to goo. The contact cleaner I used said "safe for plastic" on the label. Guess they didn't test it on the plastic used in the Chinese kill switch. It reacted as if I'd used some strong solvent. Instead of lubricating, it dissolved the plastic button. Luckily I had a spare and just finished installing it. Bottom line: Be careful what you use to lube a sticky kill switch.

Before I put the new switch on I took it apart and lubricated it with a silicone grease...I know it's safe for plastic.
Tom
Have not tried it I wounder what a bit of spray silicone lubricant would do. I think that would be safe.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 PM

Against the kill-switchproblem i use an 1930`s or 40's motorbike lightswitch with a hornbutton. This part was made from an early type of plastic that's called BAKELITE. He will never die....look at ebay !!!
Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thine82 View Post
i ride mine every day .. i tighten her up all the time and i am working on a quiet exhaust but i need to know the bolt size to the motor mounts.. mine vibrated out. can someone help me ?
6mm x1 x whatever length you need. I always suggest eliminating the studs and nuts and going with Allen head cap screws.
Tom
Old 01-02-2011, 08:02 PM
Staff

Thanks WheelBender. Could not for life of me remember who else had done that. (broke a spoke on bike drive side) Mine looked like it got pulled threw. Really odd. Have been mad pedaling but they are kinda made for that? lol.

Went shopping for 12G spokes. LBSs were closed. I am gonna try and get a set to fit a regular wheel by drilling out the holes on the rim and hub. The only really HD rear wheels I can find are coaster brake. I just prefer freewheel.
Spent after noon swapping out rear wheel. I can't figure this out. Instead of just putting the 56T back on, I put on a 44T just to test. (couldn't find any 48s Kat. have to be at least a few here some where) To my great surprise, took off seemingly about the same as the 56T. Did not seem to accelerate as fast but in the few blocks I took her, (was well after dark on a Sunday night and didn't want to annoy our happy lil town) She got up to 30MPH which cold, is normal. Am just shocked. I expected and by the math should have had no get-up-n-go and toped out at 40. Was a quickie ride just to see if she could take off with out pedaling. (cracks me up. "well I read...")) Have to test tomorrow but was geared for 54T rear. Any one have a low 50s toothed sprocket they want to sell?

Thanks again for the thought Kat. I still can't believe it works.

This is funny. Part of the reason for not going farther was a strange vibration. Climb off and look at her rear-end. I had only hand tightened the rear wheel. The only thing holding it on was a sense of duty, habit and the chains.

"How'd he die?"
"Natural selection and the Good Lord thinning the herd"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

how in the **** did you get to 30mph with a 56t WTF!!! So if im running a 36t, 20 less teeth, i should be doing at least 50 mph - HOW IN THE **** did you get that motor to spin like that?
Old 01-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Staff

Is a HF 79cc 4 smoker, Epic. Does better warm.

Only problem with em, they just can't climb.
(Just never get board with that one, lol)

Vids :: HFs can't climb video by dan3xd - Photobucket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner