Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 AM
Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder

Wink Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/...ps37dde7c2.jpg

and that it what I did to my newest motor bike today.......
Nothing is out of my realm,
if it doesn't fit, make it fit! Beer is the answer....what was the question?
A sense of humor costs nothing, why don't people use them more often?
"You can't buy respect.....you have to earn it"
==================================================
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
That sounds like an exhaust gasket leak. The exhaust can spew out black oily gunk if the gasket is leaking. If the head gasket is leaking it will spit out a fine oily mess on the outside of the engine that can turn black after road crap sticks to it. The only black you'll see is the first 1/2" or so directly around the leak itself after you remove the cylinder head. Also a head gasket leak will cause a lean condition and the engine will run wrong.
Well, in that case it's the exhaust then. Weird thing is, the gasket isn't blown out and there doesn't appear to be any of that junk on the front of the engine itself, or at least alot. I can't believe I've blown another gasket though. grrrr
Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 PM

My master link broke. One of the pins came out of the link and it was barely hanging on. I rode it cautiously 22 miles this way to a facility I use that has a welder. I removed the master link and welded the backside of the pins in permanently so that it never happens again and could have caused me to be stranded again. I saved a few bucks, but in the long run, I know I won't be buying another crappy master link that might fail.

On my return trip, my rear inner tube goes flat and I am stuck about 10 miles out from home and need a ride anyway. At least I get something fixed and then something else breaks. Bicycle tubes seem to be a big problem for me as I ride my motorized bicycle often and there is a lot of debri along the roadside that can cause punctures. I am inevitably thinking about filling a set of tires with expanding foam and see how that works out because I am tired of wasting my money on worthless tubes that leave me crying by the roadside.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:36 PM

The expanding foam sold at home improvement stores cures to a brittle state. It will crush inside the tube when weight is applied to it.
Your best bet is to use the $15 a piece "for down hill racing" mountain bike inner tubes which are very thick walled and install quality tire liners as well. The cost is high, but the dependability is high too. Ya get what ya pay for.

Some folks like the Slime brand self healing inner tubes instead of the down hill tubes, but I am not a fan of the sticky goo slime product.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."

Last edited by GearNut; 02-23-2013 at 12:37 PM. Reason: tIpOe
Old 02-24-2013, 09:20 PM
$50 Cruiser

Couldn't get anything done, had to sort wrenches. 80ish
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (393.6 KB, 36 views)

Last edited by Trey; 02-24-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Couldn't get anything done, had to sort wrenches. 80ish
Looks like you have several of the same sizes...
Old 02-25-2013, 01:02 AM

You can get super-tubes for $5 each at Niagaracycle. www.niagaracycle.com I don't use the slime or any sealant either. Just get some tires with some tread thickness or puncture belts, and the thick tubes ("thorn resistant" tubes). They help cushion the ride more too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
The expanding foam sold at home improvement stores cures to a brittle state. It will crush inside the tube when weight is applied to it.
Your best bet is to use the $15 a piece "for down hill racing" mountain bike inner tubes which are very thick walled and install quality tire liners as well. The cost is high, but the dependability is high too. Ya get what ya pay for.

Some folks like the Slime brand self healing inner tubes instead of the down hill tubes, but I am not a fan of the sticky goo slime product.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:38 AM

Worked on the last of my belt tensioning designs.

The first of three belts in the transmission has the idler. I shimmed the inside of the 1/2 inch bolt shoulder to get it to fit snug in the 1/2 inch bushing reducer for the flat idler pulley. The bracket welding finished and made cuts in the protective safety cover and will be finishing the cover later.

By a long shot the regular vee-belts have better grabbing power than either the link type belts. The back of the link type belts on a flat idler pulley I think is not a good idea, so the Gates Brand Powerated green color belt is perfect.

Harbor Freight selling the Acculink green color link type belt is not as good for the stretch I found it has as compared to the Grainger selling the more expensive brand Powertwist Plus red color belt. Powertwist Plus has next to no stretch at all.

Both link belts are out shined by the Powerated regular vee-belt though, so I'm going with all three belts in my 40:1 ratio 3hp 4stoke Briggs dual purpose, parade / dirt bike.

Gates Powerated belt I got from Oreilly Auto.

MT

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread...046#post463046

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 02-25-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM

changed out all the gaskets, made sure everything was nice and tight.

engine barely starts now :C

it has spark, and a good compression, good fuel flow, intake is getting fuel air in there as well.

i just can't figure out why it's running so rough still.

i changed out all the gaskets with the ones from SBP (i had made my own previously but they didn't come out so well).

i'm almost wondering if there's some type of vacuum leak at the intake somewhere as i'm running the z offset intake with a hose to extend it out a few more inches to clear the frame.

but even when i sprayed carb cleaner all over it, there still was no change in health. i had to pulse the throttle to keep it running. if i hit the throttle hard it'd die, if i let it idle, it would stay there for a bit then slowly droop down until it dies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 PM

Went for coffee and picked up a couple of brews at the convenience store on the way back- the usual 6 miles or so roundtrip- Florida is great for this!
Rained all last night, but 70's by afternoon.

The little 50 just keeps running- how far can this thing go?
the gas overflowing problem seems to have been solved with the bending of the Speed carb levers in the float bowl- one screw for the carb, and two to remove the float bowl- easy.

haven't been on the 66 for three months at least

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner