Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbutterbean View Post
Ok, the clutch was too tight. It wasnt disengaging completely, and thats what was causing it to not idle correctly. Have you ever hit your killswitch with your clutch engaged? It doesn't shut off the engine. So the clutch not disengaging completely could definitely cause the killswitch to not work properly. Here is how I theorize that the clutch being too tight could cause starting issues. There are two springs that work the clutch, an outer spring behind the clutch plate and an inner spring inside the engine case. These springs push in opposite directions. when the outer spring is slack, the inner spring is tight. Too much tension on the outer spring will cause too much tension on the inner spring, causing some slipping. At least this is my theory. I do know that my clutch would slip a lot when I would try to start it, and it was worse the colder it got. When I went to adjust the flower nut, I locked the clutch lever in place and removed the cover. Before I adjusted the flower nut, I puhed on the clutch plate and it was tight up against the pads. It didnt budge a nano-millimeter. So if the clutch plate was right up against the pads, then it wasn't disengaging properly. Whether I am right about how the springs work or not (which I could be, I'm not 100% sure on that), my clutch was definitely too tight. One thing I do know is that previous to making the adjustment, my engine would jerk sometimes when I would go to start it, taking off for a second or two, then almost dying, and doing that a few times until the engine would warm up. My theory on that is that maybe a cold clutch can slip if its too tight. But after loosening the flower nut today, I went around the corner and dumped the clutch and she kicked like a mule and took off instantly. No jerking, no starting and stopping. Also, the last time I started it, I tested my theory about the killswitch by pulling the clutch lever clear in to the handlebars and flipping the killswitch, and the engine died instantly. This was before adjusting the flower nut. If I tried the killswitch with the clutch lever locked, I would always have to hit it twice. Now that the flower nut is properly adjusted, I only have to flip the switch once. I can also hear the difference in the rpms at idle now. When the clutch was too tight, if I locked the clutch lever, the engine would sound too quiet, and when I pulled the lever all the way in, it would sound like normal. Now it sounds like a normal idle when I lock the clutch lever
If it worked for ya, it worked.
fatdaddy.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:50 PM

Took a nice relaxing e-ride around town, watched the kids playing, folks out raking leaves and walking dogs, the confused looks of other bikers as I went by w/o pedaling -
Old 11-23-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracothered View Post
I'm using Silver Solder and if I remember right the only way to work harden copper is pound on it or bend it. The heat used to Silver Solder it will anneal the copper if I'm not wrong.

How would you do this if you had to make an intake then?
I think the silver solder will work just fine. A while back EVERYONE was saying, SILVER SOLDER IT, Or weld it.
Anyway, I just made a side draft intake for a customer and it worked great. It's here:http://motorbicycling.com/showthread...ake#post441289, post#4605
fatdaddy.
AND BLAKE IS RIGHT. Always wear safety glasses.

Last edited by fatdaddy; 11-23-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:09 PM

Finished the second flange for the new intake.

More pictures in the Wasp build of the intake, see link below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Intake Parts 8.jpg (67.9 KB, 93 views)
Old 11-24-2012, 03:41 AM

Right on Dracoman, and you were unblinded enough to post pics, wow, you must be smarter than they think... kickass... Let us know how she runs, if they can quit bickering long enough for the rest of us to hear you to fire it up.

Good job man.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2stroker View Post
I broke my hand the other day riding my honda cr250. so today i switched the throttle lever to the left side of my bike and went for a ride. couldnt go to fast cause i only have one hand right now..but it was fun..like always!
Oh man 2Stroker, that ain't fun. Hope ya heal up fast and well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracothered View Post
Finished the second flange for the new intake.

More pictures in the Wasp build of the intake, see link below.
Lookin good drac. Now, Silver solder the HE!! out of it, file it down smooth and it'll look like a factory job. Leave the solder just a little thick for support, just smooth it some. LOOKS GOOD.
fatdaddy.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:22 PM

Installed some pedals with straps. They were given to me by a member here. They are from an exercise bike, but thankfully they bolted right up. I like the straps because my feet wont slide off if my shoes are wet or something. I used to have metal ones and my feet never slid off of them, but one broke. I bought some new ones at Wallyworld, but they are plastic and my foot slid off of them the first time I used them.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:51 PM

Got some propane for the garage heater and worked on the bike a little. Changed the goose neck out and test fitted the front fender.

Edit: I also got the original kick stand to move and work, but now because of the smaller wheel in the back it is to long.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Fender 1.jpg (85.2 KB, 359 views)

Last edited by dracothered; 11-24-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:50 PM

As long as the kickstand ain't in the way, leave it. It's part of the original Wasp.
fatdaddy.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner