Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Today I do the front wheel.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:20 AM

@bo...pick up a muffler u bolt clamp from the auto parts store and use that for the front mount...works wonders...got 7 mbers in my area...i was the first and everyone else has followed suit..its no more than 4 bucks everywhere...just a suggestion
Old 11-17-2012, 10:57 AM

this is what i did with the u bolt muffler clamp

http://motorbicycling.com/picture.ph...pictureid=5348
Old 11-17-2012, 10:59 AM

Hey Wickdst, that is exactly what I used for my front mount on my summer bike.
I wanted to use them for my rear mounts on my winter bike, but I did not go looking for them that are so small - instead I used clevasis ( chain anchors) from home depot.
They were a little large, so I used shims. ( Cut some sheet metal strips and wrapped them around. ) You can see them well in my second video.
Anyway, yesterday it took me 5 -1/2 hours to put winter tire on rear wheel.
This morning it only took me 15 minutes to change over my front!!!
All in all, I got evrything done before 9 am this morning!!!!
Old 11-17-2012, 11:09 AM

nice blake...i dont have the need to use that on my rear...the motor mount that the kits come with fits the down tube perfectly...gonna prep my old 1/2 gallon tank today for stripping...gonna leave it bare metal but with clear coat...i like the clean steel look...may even do the bike too...not sure if i wanna take that on today tho...its only 23degrees out here
Old 11-17-2012, 11:26 AM

It is 16 degrees where i am, but this afternoon it's gonna be 32!!! The gas tank you're doin is one thing , but the whole bike?? Thats a big job!!! I get to take it easy now..for a while, ...maybe I'll clean my plug cause that has not been done in a long time, i might just install a new one. I just love the easy stuff.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:12 PM

Wow, don't you have an igloo or something you can work on the bike inside? :-) You Canadians are tough. Cold weather gives me the blues. http://blogs.worldbank.org/files/tra...ke-hamburg.jpg
Old 11-17-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoDean_LP View Post
I appreciate your advice. You're right, I threw it together rather quickly, but trust me, I've snugged every nut and bolt many times. I do a rather complete check each time I get ready to set out on a ride. I didn't have these problems on my last frame, but the geometry of this frame is slightly different. The front mount has to have a spacer between it, and the rear mount sits at an angle, thus only making contact along one edge. Any other angle, and the motor hits the pedal sprocket. I need a smaller sprocket, or a proper front mount to eliminate all the excessive vibration. The only thing I had to use as a spacer was part of the old chain tensioner. It doesn't sit right at all.

I'm just using what I've got right now. I've currently got ZERO funding. I'm having to borrow $3 here and there to put gas in it. I think I'm doing alright with what I've got, I just need to make some major improvements when the resources are available.
Yeah bro, I know what it's like having no funds to work with. I'm disabled/retired and on S.S.I. If I don't get any bike business in my shop then no extra money to do anything to my bike.
But just something I saw in yer pic. I noticed that with the u-bolt installed that way it looks like it's just gonna keep pulling through the mount plate a little at a time. I can't tell FOR SURE in the pic, but it looks like you don't have the top side(round part) blocked up to keep it from pulling through. But like I said, hard to tell in the pic.
You also said that the rear mount sits at an angle, only making contact on the edge of the mount. There are a couple of problems that will come up because of this. First, Sitting on just a corner of the mount, in combination with the vibration of the engine WILL, (not may, WILL) cut the frame and it WILL eventually break. The other thing is that not sitting flat will cause more vibration to be transmitted to yer A**. And again, the vibration, all put at one small part of the frame, will cut the frame. ALL mounts must be flat.
Please don't take any of this as criticism. I AM only tryin to help, and also keep you safe. A busted frame at 35mph ain't no joke. I know, been there, done that.(almost got dead.) Then, to top it all off, a front mount coming loose will cause even MORE vibration, helping the "corner" mounted rear mount to cut the frame even quicker.
I've had frames that the engine didn't want to sit flat in. I know it can be a PITA. But ya do what ya gotta do to get it to sit flat, straight and solid. I've even made my own mounts and cut them at an angle to match the tube a few times. But the best idea I've seen here is to weld the mount in. Then ya just mount one side flat and weld in the mount to match the other side. Get it all set up yourself and you can usually talk a muffler shop into welding it cheaper than a regular welding/machine shop would do it for. My muffler guy's do small welds like that for $10.
Good luck bro,
fatdaddy.
Old 11-17-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
Wow, don't you have an igloo or something you can work on the bike inside? :-) You Canadians are tough. Cold weather gives me the blues. http://blogs.worldbank.org/files/tra...ke-hamburg.jpg
OMG happy, after seeing that picture my only thought was, GOD I'm glad I live in California.
fatdaddy
Old 11-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Got the slots cut in my motor mount and it all bolts down. Found that I will need to make a spark plug tool to take out and install the plug.

See the Wasp build link for the other stuff I just did.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spark Plug issue 1.jpg (68.1 KB, 1030 views)
File Type: jpg Spark Plug issue 2.jpg (64.9 KB, 1019 views)

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner