Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Staff

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAS+RIDEZ View Post
Seems that nobody here knows welding? because no comments on my post.

Some times questions get buried or over looked GRs. Some great welders here who I am sure would enjoy questions.

I personally missed it, can you post a link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 11-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
It looks like the dropout stamping was bent when the weld was broken.
If that is true, straighten it out before having it welded.
I highly recommend that you TIG weld it, unless you know someone who is very skilled with MIG welding. TIG is better though, it can reduce the chance of heat embrittlement considering that you will be welding right on top of an old weld.
A reinforcing strap along the inside would help too.
Whatever you choose, if it breaks again it very well could cause a crash. Choose wisely.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 11-04-2012, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
It looks like the dropout stamping was bent when the weld was broken.
If that is true, straighten it out before having it welded.
I highly recommend that you TIG weld it, unless you know someone who is very skilled with MIG welding. TIG is better though, it can reduce the chance of heat embrittlement considering that you will be welding right on top of an old weld.
A reinforcing strap along the inside would help too.
Whatever you choose, if it breaks again it very well could cause a crash. Choose wisely.
You may be better served by rebuilding the whole dropout section on both sides of the bike so you know where you stand on its strength.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Saw your post but had no real advice cause all I have, or know how to use, is an arc welder, which is not too good for the small, thin stuff. If I have something that needs a tig or mig weld I have a guy at a local muffler shop do it for me cheap. I welded a friends frame once, (in about the same place,) with my arc and it came apart again. Welded it a second time and it held, but this was on just a pedal bike, no motor.
I think GearNut gave you the best advice. The only advice I can give is that you have it welded by someone with lots of welding experience. Thats why, if it's REAL important that it's welded perfect, I have my muffler shop do it for me.
fatdaddy.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:20 AM

Its been a 1,000 miles with not one problem. no break downs no flat tires! i just changed my drive wheel. i was using the delrin wheel that bumblebeebolton sends with the kit but i just upgraded to the urethane wheel. it works alot better.. i have had the delrin on for a thousand miles and its barely worn out my tire..the wheel wears out quicker than your tire so you dont have to change you bike tire all the time but the urethane does grip alot better with less tension but i noticed it does eat your tire alittle more..i have feeling in a couple hundred miles i might need a new back tire.but keep in mind it already has a thousand it!
Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

I scored a new two-stroke expansion chamber from the local scooter shop junk pile. I'll take some pics as I work it into shape. It has a nice fat short cone so I expect better low end torque and much better power on takeoff.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 PM

Worked on the engine mount some more. See my link below for the Wasp build.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 PM

That's what I say, I know we are a big family who share the same vein, Returning to the subject,GN.Both dropout stamping sides are equal but yes it looks like they were bent,dt.I thought of the whole dropout section on both sides of the bike but for it has to be someone with a lot of knowledge not to become misaligned,fd.verify what you said of the muffler shop and problem solved, make for another thing I saw here that decreased greatly the vibration"Engine mount",Thanks to all for your help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10005 (640x480).jpg (293.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg th_SDC10004[1].jpg (5.5 KB, 30 views)
Old 11-05-2012, 06:14 PM

I broke a couple spokes on my drive side of the rear wheel so had to take it all apart and replace them.....

Glad i've been collecting junk bikes for parts.....

Also had a sudden fuel starving problem.... Had fuel flow to carb, had flow thru the float valve but it would just starve, and or airlock and die....Let it sit for a minute and it would go....

Tore the carb apart , cleaned everything and it still did it....Tore it apart again and recleaned everything and it seems ok now...... hmmmmmmmm.....

Busy day.....
Old 11-05-2012, 07:03 PM

Fixed my clutch cable. It was loose and a strand had broken and begun to unwind, so I just unwound that strand the whole way up to the barrel, and cut the rest off the end where it had also frayed pretty bad. I had to shorten the cable sheath a little, but its fixed and I should get some more mileage out of this cable. I have another cable I can use, but it has a smaller barrel than the cable that's on there now. I also carried the bike up out of the basement, which was not all that fun, because the angle of the steps and the weight of the bike make it not all that easy. The bike had been in the basement since Sandy hit. The bike weighs a freaking ton. I think I may take the bike to the garage around the corner and see if they can weigh it for me tomorrow. I am curious to know what this thing actually weighs.

Last edited by bigbutterbean; 11-05-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner