Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

well today i am installing my CNS carb and custom intake manifold on my HS49 four stroke, hope she fits lol. ill be starting a thread on it later today.

LabRat that golden pos ya got with the homescooled monarks

coated pistons
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42853
Old 09-10-2012, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_gizzle View Post
Monark forks are true shock forks and they most certainly have disc brake adaptors AND they are 1 inch threaded.
monarch doesnt have much in the way of rebound dampening

LabRat that golden pos ya got with the homescooled monarks

coated pistons
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42853
Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Ok moonerdizzle, but can't you buy a 1 inch steerer and use that with some decent shock forks? I know I seen that somewhere,niw I'm off to find it!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Exclamation Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

No. I've seen some people cut out 1 1/8 steerer tubes (they are press fit, after the fork crowns are heated, and the steerers frozen), and install 1" tubes they cut themselves, but it's risky.

Marzochhi made some decent forks up to the 1990s that had bolt-on fork crowns, which could be replaced with other factory made crowns in different steerer sizes. I have one and it's pretty nice, a little heavy but smooth. I left the 1 1/8 on it, and I don't think parts are widely available for it anymore (springs, seals, etc).

Just remember if you are thinking about making your own pinch-bolt crown, that most shock stanchions for mountain bikes will not take too much pressure, and will slip out when they get any oil in there. Most of the bolt-on ones are also held by retaining rings and lips on the fork crowns.

Quote:
Ok moonerdizzle, but can't you buy a 1 inch steerer and use that with some decent shock forks? I know I seen that somewhere,niw I'm off to find it!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 PM

I see. I went to look for steerer tubes,but instead couldn't quit looking at the monark forks,with disc tabs of course.

And I went and looked at lynn's goods and wow. She always has stuff I can't find anywhere. Like the 1 inch threaded chopper forks?

Can you tell me how good the 1 inch threaded shock disc/cantilever forks are? I wouldn't mind some relief from the street for cheap.

At least until next year/next build.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Ordered a Avenir seat for my bike today here is a picture of it.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Monark forks are true shock forks and they most certainly have disc brake adaptors AND they are 1 inch threaded.
And also Manitou answer E9 suspension forks are 1" threaded. I found a set, calapsed, and didn't want to go through the whole "rebuild a F'up'ed fork" thing. So I gave up and put a set of old style Schwinn solid forks with the cantilever bosses on her. The cantilevers are A LOT better then the calipers I was using. I've got to get some harder pads though, the soft ones on it now are going quick. Stopping from 35mph eats right through them.
fatdaddy.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:54 PM

**** found this on Fleabay for $60, hurry up if you want it.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SR-Suntour-X...item337bdd160d
100mm dual coil Suntour fork, 1" steerer uncut.

I bought a box full of Diamondback Softee v-brake pads and they seem to last a really long time for me. Which ones are you using? I got them for $2.50/pr at Niagara Cycle/Amazon.

Bike forks have come a LONG way. Most of them seemed to plain SUCK in the 1990s. I had an Answer/Manitou 1 1/8 threadless fork, and it was a pogo stick. One small jump and I bent the retainer clips. That winter, the elastomers froze and blew out. I put springs in it, then it was just boingy, like the walmart forks. I got a Marzocchi coil and oil about 10 years ago, a late 1990s model, and I'm still using it. I will be sad when I have to replace it bc. I'll probably be out $200 for something similar, even used.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 09-11-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:42 AM

Yeah Happy, you either spend 4 or 5 hundred for a good set of suspension forks or ride a pogo stick. OR find a used something and hope it don't blow out too soon. I just plain gave up on it and went with a solid fork. I was kinda hoping for a cheap but reliable set of sus. forks but there's no such thing I guess. Great find on the Suntour forks but I already went with the Schwinn's. Thanks anyway.
I have no idea what brand of pads I have on it, They were just laying around the shop so I stuck em on. Gotta get to Bicycle Express and spend money on some better ones.
Anyway, built a bracket for my front turn signals on my Hussy the other night to fit the Schwinn forks I put on. All thats left now is to solder things up and RIDE. (pics to come.)
fatdaddy.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:46 AM

But.....you could use Monark forks,right? Is there something wrong with them? I plan on using monark forks for my next bike but.....if they are no good that would be nice to know

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner