Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenodius View Post
Got a new lock because some half-wit tried to steal my bike! It's not even fully assembled at the moment... Cut halfway through my lock at 4:30 AM, thankfully I heard him and scared him off. Bastard bent my lock shut, though...

Wrote a novel. Short version: got SBP chamber. Didn't fit. Set aside the black J-piece that connects to chamber, replacing with all copper to fit my baby's curves in an upside-down U format to get appropriate length. Read about success here with 10" flange-to-chamber, but my approximate measurements show that length of stock setup with shortest header to be about 12" overall. Given that the SBP guide indicates lengths as little as 1/2" make significant differences, I'm uncomfortable with that range. This is a problem because without the J-piece, it's almost impossible for me to get a half-decently sealed exhaust without making it permanent, because I can't "spring" it on. That means I can't really test the header length beforehand.

I expect the header to get quite hot, but I'm not sure if it'd be too hot for JB-weld. For longevity sake, I'm probably going to try to find some thermosteel and use that to close it up tight, then maybe wrap or just paint the fittings for aesthetics.

Question: 66cc chinagirl @ 6,000ft with SBP chamber, .64 jet, NGK 7534 plug. What overall length for a high-rpm powerband? I can't do much for testing because of my mounting limitations. Also, does the shape of the header/setup matter?

I can't even mount it in the up config, not without adding some significant length. bleh.
To hook the SBP pipe up on my bike I used a flex connection for a hot water heater. It's made of copper and worked perfect for power and positioning the motor.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:40 PM

Arrow Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

What part of Texas are you in? Here in Greenville, I think there is only 1 ethanol free station for 100 miles. Ok, make that 50!
http://www.buyrealgas.com/Texas.html

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge dude94 View Post
I hate ethanol with a passion.

In passenger vehicles, it decreases MPG by AT LEAST 3.
My dad's truck gets 16 at best here in Texas, in Oklahoma, where there is ethanol-free gas, it gets 19. WTF EPA?!?!?!?!

Took it for a short ride; still can't get over how awesome the NGK plug is.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
What part of Texas are you in? Here in Greenville, I think there is only 1 ethanol free station for 100 miles. Ok, make that 50!
http://www.buyrealgas.com/Texas.html

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX
I live in Tyler. About 200 mi east of DFW.

BTW, the links you posted, are awesome.
I found an ethanol-free gas station in Flint, about 15 min drive from me.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Trued my front wheel. Broke my throttle cable at the twist grip end. Thought of a way to Jerry rig it but ended up getting a new one. Putting that on tomorrow. Also made a mount for my GoPro to go on the handlebars
Old 08-16-2012, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
To hook the SBP pipe up on my bike I used a flex connection for a hot water heater. It's made of copper and worked perfect for power and positioning the motor.
THAT is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. If I can't get a steel setup welded and fit, then I'm going to braze some flex on there. There are no good muffler/radiator shops in my city =/

As mentioned in another thread, I rigged up a handlebar-controlled clutch lever. Works really nice so far. =)

Last edited by xenodius; 08-16-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:55 PM

My rear sprocket had some lateral movement, so I did several things in an attempt to minimize it as much as possible. I took my rear wheel off and removed the sprocket. First, I tried to find different ways of mounting it to see if that would help. It did not. So I decided to go back to the original way I had it mounted. Before I re-installed it, I noticed that the teeth were developing points and rough edges, so I filed the points and rough edges off. I re-installed the sprocket, put my hub back together and put the wheel back on the bike. I started her up, pulled the clutch in, stopped and picked up the back wheel. I let the clutch out and gave her some gas. The lateral play isnt totally gone, but I seem to have reduced it a fair amount. I still need a new sprocket and an adapter eventually, but I think the rag joint will do ok for now.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:13 PM
Staff

about half way done building a work shop for her. She is special.

Not the short bus kind of special, snork.

Right now she is living behind some tires, a bicycle and a load of clutter. Just not up to the style of living of which she would like to become accustomed too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 08-17-2012, 09:25 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Today I rode my bike to school. That's the short version.

I had some vaccination paperwork to drop off at my daughters' school so, after they rode the bus there, I thought it'd be a great day for a short ride. I went on out there, chained up out front and dropped off one batch of papers and found out I needed to fill out some others while I was there. Whilst sitting and writing, I heard a bell. Then here came Sophie and her classmates, and I had my goggles round my neck, my helmet on the table, and the bike was right outside the window. She was ecstatic. She was pointing and saying "That's my Dad, and he rode his BIKE!" Buncha kids faces pressed the window. "Cool bike!" they said. The teacher let them look for a bit, then moved them on out. When I was done, I rode out past the playground and waved. It felt good that I had made their day. It was even more fun than when adults stop and look at the bike.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 08-17-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:53 PM

Tyler sure is pretty, but it's hard to bike out there. It seems with all the roadies, people are starting to get a clue, but sometimes they still will send you reeling just with the wind off their cagermobiles. And the dogs out there are even worse hellhounds than what is running around here. Good luck!

It's fun to look up road bicycle racing routes and run them on bicycles. I don't know how they will do with riding around on event days. Some would probably like it, especially if you're an official volunteer or something. Some would cuss you and probably call police when they got their skirts ruffled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge dude94 View Post
I live in Tyler. About 200 mi east of DFW.

BTW, the links you posted, are awesome.
I found an ethanol-free gas station in Flint, about 15 min drive from me.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 PM

I rode my bike to the next city over, to eat with the family. I had a good ride, made it back just before the bottom fell out. Fiction drive suffers when it rains, so I had to pull over, let my tire down to about 50psi, and stuff the roller into it to get home before I got soaked.

The bike ran great though. I quit messing around with the 2 tank system, and just went with the 1 gallon chemical tank for a gas tank. The bike started easily and with 1 Gallon of fuel, I can ride all day (90-150mpg). I can feel the sloshing a little when the tank is really full, but it isn't really a problem, since it's down by the axle.

now with stock tank omitted.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner