Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-06-2012, 11:30 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Today was assembly day for the trailer we picked up a while ago. Turned out alright, still needs a few things (rear reflectors or lights). More pics when we have it set up (next weekend probably).

As for muffler hanging, I replaced mine some time ago with a spring and a pair of bands made from steel strapping (used to hold heavy objects to shipping pallets) which isn't hard to find in most light industrial areas, and a short spring from the asst. hardware section of the local hardware/department store. I've been running like this for a long time and have no problems with the exhaust that aren't preventable with routine maintenance (Checking and tightening all the nuts and bolts weekly).

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 08-07-2012, 01:09 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Herder View Post
You can get a new heating element for the drier if that's the case for about 30 dollars.
I've put enough ducats into this lousy nickel-and-dimer. I'm getting rid of it before it burns down the house. Would you believe that the source of the sparks was where the plug, through either a massive short or surge, had tried to arc-weld itself into the outlet. I discovered this after just barely winning the fight to unplug it. Now I'll have to make sure I haven't damaged the outlet. I don't think so; it still seems okay. I've only seen this sort of thing once before, and it didn't bode well the last time either. I currently don't feel good about recommending GE clothes dryers.
Well, I did get to look over my bike and do a bit of cleaning. Nothing very exciting to report that way I'm afraid.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 08-07-2012, 02:03 AM

What kind of trailer is/was that? It looks pretty complicated. Was it made as a cargo trailer? Was it custom built?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTripps View Post
Today was assembly day for the trailer we picked up a while ago. Turned out alright, still needs a few things (rear reflectors or lights). More pics when we have it set up (next weekend probably).

As for muffler hanging, I replaced mine some time ago with a spring and a pair of bands made from steel strapping (used to hold heavy objects to shipping pallets) which isn't hard to find in most light industrial areas, and a short spring from the asst. hardware section of the local hardware/department store. I've been running like this for a long time and have no problems with the exhaust that aren't preventable with routine maintenance (Checking and tightening all the nuts and bolts weekly).
[IMG]http://motorbicycling.com/picture.php?albumid=442&pictureid=4848[/IMG
Old 08-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Gutter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_Wrench View Post
I've put enough ducats into this lousy nickel-and-dimer. I'm getting rid of it before it burns down the house. Would you believe that the source of the sparks was where the plug, through either a massive short or surge, had tried to arc-weld itself into the outlet. I discovered this after just barely winning the fight to unplug it. Now I'll have to make sure I haven't damaged the outlet. I don't think so; it still seems okay. I've only seen this sort of thing once before, and it didn't bode well the last time either. I currently don't feel good about recommending GE clothes dryers.
Well, I did get to look over my bike and do a bit of cleaning. Nothing very exciting to report that way I'm afraid.
Prolly just as well to replace that wall socket!? If it is a bad connection it will sit and heat up again.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Staff

I'm with Goat. For a few bucks, well worth it. If for nothing more then sleeping well.

Cool trailer CT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 08-07-2012, 09:58 AM

I think you will find CT'S to be similar to this one with all the fabric removed
look closely to how the tubes are located and the hinge points at the corners

Old 08-07-2012, 10:00 AM

I can't recall the details, exactly. We got it second-hand for less than $30. I think the kid-compartment was by Axiom, the frame might have been by Norco. There wasn't a lot of info online about it when we googled it after we got it. It was a 2-seat nylon sling contraption that had seen better days and was about to fall apart (the nylon that is... left in the sunlight too often, I think).
We used a piece of 3/4" plywood for the deck, it's had several coats of varnish to seal it. It's secured to the frame with conduit holders and 3/4" #8 screws, with a bit of high-density rubber between the brackets and the frame itself. The sides are folded down in the pic, they flip up and lock in to bring the height to around three feet. There are a couple of removable crossbars that give it rigidity when unfolded.
I'm not happy with the connection it uses to the bike (a clamp for the chainstay, not a lot of clearance to the drive sprocket) so I'm probably going to redesign that to use a bracket on the bike and a hitch-pin at some point. Beyond that, all it really needs is some kind of reflectors or rear lighting. We're going to put a kid's bike flag on the left rear corner for sure to make the drivers more aware of where the back end is.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 08-07-2012, 10:01 AM

Bought an NGK B7HS.

DAMN! Didn't add much to the top speed, but it runs smoother and pulls much more smoothly past 18mph...it will actually run at WOT at 25 mph....

ME GUSTA.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:29 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

new paint on motor and extra gas tank
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture0807121020_1.jpg (74.8 KB, 42 views)

-briggsandstratton-

t
Old 08-07-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsandstratton View Post
new paint on motor and extra gas tank
Hey briggs, Does New York still call yer bike a Motorized Bicycle without the pedals? Nice job of engineering a bike together, but I couldn't get it past the cops in the state of Californication.
So whats the top speed on the Briggs? Not really important, just wondering.
fatdaddy.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner