Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I really would like to know:Is this a build thread now?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:53 PM

Today I went to start the bike...go to store...pull rope hung all the way out- would not recoil- took half an hour- replaced the recoil spring with one from a still chain saw- this one will not break!!!
I got a good motor but the parts on it are real cheap!!! Started the bike, went to store.
I knew that the spring in my new starter was gonna break!! just a matter of when!!!
It's happened before.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_gizzle View Post
NOPE, It ain't. But when the guy gets his pipe straightend out he's gonna post it here. It'll go something like, Got my baffle-less pipe back on today and it runs GREAT. Anyway, I THOUGHT I was just gonna give the guy a quick suggestion. Didn't know it was gonna turn into several posts.
fatdaddy.

Last edited by fatdaddy; 08-03-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
NOPE, It ain't. But when the guy gets his pipe straightend out he's gonna post it here. It'll go something like, Got my baffle-less pipe back on today and it runs GREAT. Anyway, I THOUGHT I was just gonna give the guy a quick suggestion. Didn't know it was gonna turn into several posts.
fatdaddy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_gizzle View Post

Sorry about that, guys... But WOW it was worth it. Thanks fatdaddy. I kind of think of this as a "this is what I'm doing/trying to do right now" thread... but I guess it'd be misuse to turn it into a current build thread. That's not organized.

And happy-time? More like HS-time. Rode to a back road, took off the cap, cracked the throttle open and I actually peeled out and fishtailed a little! (asphalt was very dirty/gravelly) Taking the end cap off only got me another 4mph (29-->33) but it has WAY, WAAAAY more power. I accelerate nearly twice as fast, and only have to pedal 1 revolution to start from idle instead of 4. I can even power up a 30 slope with my 40lb backpack and only slow down to 25 mph, but my top end down the same hill is only 34.5... I think I'm having a serious issue with rolling resistance somewhere. And I felt okay about making more noise on the highway after six very, VERY loud Harley's and a couple crotch-rockets passed me by.

I can rule out wind, because on the flat back road my speed only changed .5mph each way with 12mph wind almost straight along the road. I can rule out my new unbroken clutch, because when I pull the clutch in I experience the same rate of drag (observation and Google Tracks graphs) and it only squeals when the motor's engaged, because the big bevel gear and drive gear are what hasn't set yet. I just replaced my whole crankset and adjusted my rear hub, and my front hub has always been great... my brakes are adjusted... I have no idea. Maybe my hubs just aren't good enough at the higher speeds? I don't know.

I bought the bike from craigslist, and the guy said he bought heavy-duty wheel hubs for it but he didn't know what make, and judging by the quality of the last crankset they are probably pretty bad and he was just trying to sell the bike. I might try taking off the drive chain and riding it down a hill to troubleshoot.

In other news, I'm filing down my main reflector and getting ready to mount my CREE P4's. One is going straight in, the other above it at a slight downward angle. I'll post pics when it's done. =)

And dinner beckons me.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:14 PM

xenodius
your tires have to do with drag also
set of 60psi or higher slicks or semi slicks will reduce the rolling resistance
Old 08-03-2012, 10:26 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Can't say I did much more to my bike than ride it. Checked her over first, but all was well. Kids are back in school. I had the day off, sooo...nice long cruise. And most people around here haven't the slightest clue what I'm riding, so I always seem to turn a few heads.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 08-03-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibedayank View Post
xenodius
your tires have to do with drag also
set of 60psi or higher slicks or semi slicks will reduce the rolling resistance
Yeah... mine are only 40psi, but they are semi slick and fairly narrow. I'll experiment. Also, sorry for my really long post... I was quite excited with the potential of this bike after taking the cap off =) LOTS of power!

Allen... that's part of the fun riding these things, I get a comment every time I take my bike out. Even on 1/2 mile trips..!

Last edited by xenodius; 08-03-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_Wrench View Post
Can't say I did much more to my bike than ride it. Checked her over first, but all was well. Kids are back in school. I had the day off, sooo...nice long cruise. And most people around here haven't the slightest clue what I'm riding, so I always seem to turn a few heads.
Same here AW, Systems check, then ride it. Theres still some things I wanna do, but one thing at a time for us poor folks. Right now I'm waiting on my tail light/ license plate assemble to get here from (OMG) china. It's an LED so I'm thinking I'll use less power from the battery. It looks cool in the ad.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230818881325...S:1120&vxp=mtr. We'll see when it gets here.
fatdaddy.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:00 AM

Buddy came over today to say whass uuupppp.

Showed him the electic and offered him a spin. He said "I'm 240, will this thing break", nah, go ahead, showed him the controls and off he went.

He came back with big smile on face and said, this thing is pretty quick. He was interested until I told him about the $600 battery.

Times are tough.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:11 AM

Got coffee and then some groceries ice cream, frozen lasagna- almost six mile round trip, completed successfully again-

Kill switch has been acting up- and wasn't shutting off the motor at all when I goit back- thought maybe I'd have to put a new one on- cleaned the connection at the motor mount and re-stripped the wire- when I quickly tested it- it seems that's all it needed.

Getting ready to change 39 sprocket for a 34.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner