Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-28-2012, 02:27 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

What kind of handle bars, so you make them reverse back so you lean more? I was thinking of doing similar.

Mines the stub that reaches up at an angle I guess? or the part that reaches forward is up at an angle. So if I put it backwards it'd reach up towards me but I was wondering how that'd turn...
Old 07-28-2012, 02:50 AM

If you reverse your stem for "tiller type" steering, it will likely be greatly annoying, and possibly detrimental to the handling of your bike in corners. Counter steering will no longer be intuitive. It's free to try it though. Make sure you understand headset (the bearings the fork turns on) assembly, stem and handlebar assembly, and proper torque, before messing with them.

http://www.h3publications.com/nucleu...MG_2060XXX.jpg
Old 07-28-2012, 04:31 AM

I was fixing up a bike that was a bit too big for me to get at the handle bars without hunching and hurting my back. I saw this adjustable neck thingy in the bike shop, but was a bit expensive.

I too turned the neck around, but it had too much and were too close, knees hitting the handle bars in turns and not safe.

It is not a steel part, but I may try getting alloy weld wire for my MIG and test on some scrap to see if I would mod the neck.

MT
Old 07-28-2012, 01:19 PM

Why bother? You can get a 50mm stem for $50 or less. Adjustable stems are $20, but are weak and flexy most of the time, and just one more thing that could go wrong.

If you are using a BMX handlebar you can get one for $20 or so, check at BMX shops. If you are using a 1" threaded headset, they are even more cheap.

Here's a nice Synchros mtb stem for $35 shipped. http://compare.ebay.com/like/1108362...Types&var=sbar
http://i1.ebayimg.com/10/i/001/b2/25/2ebd_3.JPG

Last edited by happycheapskate; 07-28-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
1. I installed the spring tensioner that I made.
2. The choke lever was hitting the frame's top tube so I cut the thumb lever portion off of the choke arm and installed a screw in a different position for a new lever.
3. I also started painting the bare metal areas on the rear fender from when I dimpled it for chain clearance.

fatdaddy, that is Norm from this very forum.
Here is his thread, with a little help from Ilikeabikea.
Norm shortening a throttle cable

Speaking for myself, I found that a propane torch got the cable too hot. A butane torch works perfectly.
Thanks GearNut, I found it on the "other" site with a youtube link. Thats where I saw it first.
And yeah, I use a small butane torch myself.
fatdaddy.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Gutter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
Why bother? You can get a 50mm stem for $50 or less. Adjustable stems are $20, but are weak and flexy most of the time, and just one more thing that could go wrong.

If you are using a BMX handlebar you can get one for $20 or so, check at BMX shops. If you are using a 1" threaded headset, they are even more cheap.

Here's a nice Synchros mtb stem for $35 shipped. http://compare.ebay.com/like/1108362...Types&var=sbar
http://i1.ebayimg.com/10/i/001/b2/25/2ebd_3.JPG
That thing is not that heavy duty? I got lucky on Craigslist I scored 4 BMX kiddy type bikes with the great big old school style handlebars and old school necks. The ones with lots of metal to them! I gotta be able to carry groceries etc or life is just rough at 40 mph with a grocery trailer lol.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmanns View Post
What kind of handle bars, so you make them reverse back so you lean more? I was thinking of doing similar.

Mines the stub that reaches up at an angle I guess? or the part that reaches forward is up at an angle. So if I put it backwards it'd reach up towards me but I was wondering how that'd turn...
I didnt turn my neck around or anything. I have mountain bike handlebars that rise in the middle and curve in slightly at the end. all I did was flip them around so the ends of the bars curve downward instead of towards me and the rise in the middle of the bars points forward, so the bars are a little more forward and curve down. thats all i did. maybe later on i will snap some pics.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 PM

I didnt turn my neck around or anything. I have mountain bike handlebars that rise in the middle and curve in slightly at the end. all I did was flip them around so the ends of the bars curve downward instead of towards me and the rise in the middle of the bars points forward, so the bars are a little more forward and curve down. thats all i did.

Isn't that how you get that board tracker look?
Old 07-28-2012, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_gizzle View Post
I didnt turn my neck around or anything. I have mountain bike handlebars that rise in the middle and curve in slightly at the end. all I did was flip them around so the ends of the bars curve downward instead of towards me and the rise in the middle of the bars points forward, so the bars are a little more forward and curve down. thats all i did.

Isn't that how you get that board tracker look?
maybe with cruiser bars, mountain bike bars are straight. they only have a slight curve to them and a slight rise, but they are almost straight other than that.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:18 PM

Oops didn't see that.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner