Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:49 AM
Gutter Rider

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Thanks for the heads up GN. I need to get some for work. I keep running into cables I got to order. Sure hate to have to order a throttle cable of all things. They seam to think it is not possible over there to solder a cable gonna show'em.

One of my buddies has some silver solder he said he got it from a HVAC shop and had looked every where! I went to his house to make cables a couple of times for m own custom machines.. A roll of silver solder is like 30 dollars and then the flux.. His stuff.. flux and all works flawlessly. Will post it up when ever I get a chance.

Working in a small engine shop has been great fun! I learned a ton in a short period of time. There is no end to the scooters and any kind of power equipment..

Constant non stop nasty gas in my sinus's and soaking into my skin not so much so. I had a heck of a headache today and still got it. It is to the point I can't tell the smell of good gas from the old when checking a tank it all stinks. Just today was rough. lol. Honestly could not tell..

It don't always bother me. Yet it has occurred to me this is just hazardous. Some times I realize the amount of time and hours gone by with my hands just soaked. Rubber gloves nobody uses them here I got some in my tool box. Soggy hands from sweating in them things is more entertainment.

Seams I camp out at the carb vat bucket. lol. Always endlessly there. It will get dead slow come winter might have another prospect coming up? Sure hope it comes through! I flat out cannot budget two months this winter with no work.. If I could have hooked up with this job in the spring it would have been a completely different story.

Got motorbikes to build!!

This'un will have medical insurance etc. Got my fingers crossed. Have not even so much as seen or heard from a doctor in about 30 years. Hope to keep it that way.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:14 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I don't care what your fellow co-workers do or think. Wear chemical gloves!
If you got a headache from the gas either entering your blood stream through your skin (yes it can and will do that) or from inhaling too much of it... Dude, that ain't good!

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 07-27-2012, 03:17 AM

I've been using regular fluxed solder to make my throttle ends for a while now. I can't remember where I saw the little trick, but it works great. I haven't had even one come back to me.
You, of course, first cut the cable to the proper length, Then coat the end with a thin layer of solder. (thats all it'll hold anyway, the steel cables don't really like solder.) So thats why next you wrap a coil of copper wire to the size you need on the end. THEN when it's soldered it'll hold till the cows come home. Ya might have to file it some to make it the correct size, but I've pulled on it with everything I have and it holds real well. I dont buy throttle cabels anymore, I just buy a bicycle brake cable (2 or 3 bucks,) and make my own.
fatdaddy.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 PM

They have it, but it's expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Herder View Post
Hope things get better Siverb9? Sounds pretty rough?

Happcheapskate Get your silver solder and flux from a HVAC type store. Lowes or Home Depot will not have it...
Old 07-27-2012, 02:41 PM

Hope you sue them. Look for witnesses. run ads in the paper, put a couple signs up at the intersection. Ask any businesses there if they have cameras which might have caught it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageBlunts904 View Post
I was headin to breakfast this morning around 640 and a car didnt stop at the red light and whammed me. Front rim is completely broken hah. tire was still good though. them kevlar lined wallyworlds are to bad. Just sitting here recovering and playing war commander on facebook.

i even had to go to the hospital.... really blew big ones.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
I've been using regular fluxed solder to make my throttle ends for a while now. I can't remember where I saw the little trick, but it works great. I haven't had even one come back to me.
You, of course, first cut the cable to the proper length, Then coat the end with a thin layer of solder. (thats all it'll hold anyway, the steel cables don't really like solder.) So thats why next you wrap a coil of copper wire to the size you need on the end. THEN when it's soldered it'll hold till the cows come home. Ya might have to file it some to make it the correct size, but I've pulled on it with everything I have and it holds real well. I dont buy throttle cabels anymore, I just buy a bicycle brake cable (2 or 3 bucks,) and make my own.
fatdaddy.
P.S. Found it on youtube. This is how I do it now. WORKS GREAT with just regular solder and a small torch. Yeah Yeah, silver solder is better. He says regular solder wont work, but it will if you coat the cable with it first. Just barely a shiney layer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y27QZOCl50

Last edited by fatdaddy; 07-27-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:11 PM

i put my tune pipe on my bike and went for a buzz.
boy,did it ever!
i didnt expect it to be that loud,think i saw my neighor loading his gun.lol.
will need a little tailpipe and a resonator now.seems to go a little better,still fades at the top,though.
next is my hybriped sprocket kit.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:56 PM

1. I installed the spring tensioner that I made.
2. The choke lever was hitting the frame's top tube so I cut the thumb lever portion off of the choke arm and installed a screw in a different position for a new lever.
3. I also started painting the bare metal areas on the rear fender from when I dimpled it for chain clearance.

P.S. Found it on youtube. This is how I do it now. WORKS GREAT with just regular solder and a small torch. Yeah Yeah, silver solder is better. He says regular solder wont work, but it will if you coat the cable with it first. Just barely a shiney layer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y27QZOCl50
fatdaddy, that is Norm from this very forum.
Here is his thread, with a little help from Ilikeabikea.
Norm shortening a throttle cable

Speaking for myself, I found that a propane torch got the cable too hot. A butane torch works perfectly.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 07-27-2012, 11:37 PM

Today I

Shaved the top sides of the front fork to make the tire fit, once pumped it wasn't rubbing on the top but on the sides. Must be because it's a 26x2.75 tire. Also has a 26x2.150 or so fitting tube, not sure fi that contributes to it spreading out so much.

Got some premix, tightened up my ghetto fab sandwhiching setup for the rear sprocket and tried her out till the chain being thrown after a few minutes became an annoyance
Old 07-28-2012, 02:12 AM

yesterday i turned my handlebars around and switched my homemade (grip shifter) throttle from my right handlebar to my left. since switching it over, i had to replace the cable because i reversed the direction it turns in. so I put a new cable on, and today i finished up with that. for a cable end, i use part of a crimp-on wire connector and crimp it on the end of the cable. works fine for me.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner