Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I got my rear wheel laced up,(again) made a seat post, and fabbed a different exhaust pipe. That seat post "lowered" the bike a lot, it feels faster!!! lol
Old 07-23-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
I rode mine today down some country road being re-worked by the county. Right now it's a dirt road and traffic is slow, good for motorized bicycle riding around the neighborhood. A big mean labrador at the end of the road came out of its yard to chase and growl. I thought I'd fixed this one's wagon, but it took an interest in my kid in the trailer. I hit it in the chest with a big old rock and it ran off crying back to its nest. Hooray. Hope that old pest learned (again) not to mess with me. :-)
A LITTLE HISTORY back in the LATE 190-S AND EARLY 1900'S Bicycling was what driving a car is today. Dogs were a VERY serious concern to cyclists. So Much that a small caliber 25-30 cal. rim-fire pistol with retractable trigger so it can easily be pocketed and withdrawn to deal with threatening dogs while on the "velocipede" the pistol was called the "VELO DOG PISTOL"

http://www.mausercentral.com/mcgalle.../Velodog_3.jpg

yodar
Old 07-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodar View Post
A LITTLE HISTORY back in the LATE 190-S AND EARLY 1900'S Bicycling was what driving a car is today. Dogs were a VERY serious concern to cyclists. So Much that a small caliber 25-30 cal. rim-fire pistol with retractable trigger so it can easily be pocketed and withdrawn to deal with threatening dogs while on the "velocipede" the pistol was called the "VELO DOG PISTOL"

yodar
If your dog is not trained then it should be behind a fence. You should get off the bike and go shoot the dogs owner.
fatdaddy.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:01 PM

Shoot the owner! Yes! I hit a Shar-Pei on a road bike going 25mph. Went over the bars and landed head first. Helmet was in three pieces. Next thing I knew I was sitting on the curb talking to the EMT with the dog sitting next to me. Guy had the dog on a 35 foot leash. At least he took responsibility and paid for repairs (owner, not the dog).
Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold_B View Post
Shoot the owner! Yes! I hit a Shar-Pei on a road bike going 25mph. Went over the bars and landed head first. Helmet was in three pieces. Next thing I knew I was sitting on the curb talking to the EMT with the dog sitting next to me. Guy had the dog on a 35 foot leash. At least he took responsibility and paid for repairs (owner, not the dog).
Glad the dog was OK. The dog HAD to run out into the street to get to you, So I'll say it again. SHOOT THE OWNER.
fatdaddy.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:47 PM

Speaking of bad owners... dad-in-law was cleaning up the local hot springs, and broke his toe rushing to help a "person" who was screaming. Turned out to be some terriers that bone-headed owners threw in the source pool! They were yelping but they couldn't get out. (190F or so)

So I was riding my bike, and suddenly my clutch starts slipping. Somehow my flower-nut shaved off part of my replacement lock screw, and unwound. So I went to Home Depot and got another with a slightly larger head, fixed it again with loctite, then started going to REI to cash in some dividends but my left pedal crank falls off. Just falls right off as I go from a stop! The nut on it didn't have a lock washer, so I'll have to get one. Fortunately, I was cutting through the local uni where I go and a buddy in services over there passed by as it happened. Got it tightened back on, and I get back on the road to REI. 5 miles later, I feel something touch my foot and I look down and see that TWO of the screws on my sprocket cover have fallen off, and as a result of improper securing it was pushed out, making the clutch arm floppy enough for the cable to fall out letting it swing freely. I'm getting some loctite and going over EVERYTHING tomorrow...

I promptly turned around and had to shut off/start the engine at every stop until I got back home. Awfully jerky! Then I ordered the replacement hardware kit from SBP, along with carb jets, damper material (I have a squeaky clutch b/c of wobbly countershaft) a new throttle with perfect-length cable (mine is cheesy plastic, WAY too long) a double-pull brake lever (my grip-shifter clutch gets in the way of my rear brakes) and some other parts. I'd like to get an EPA muffler too... we'll see.

I'm kind of thinking about trying my luck with an IGH and shift kit, but we'll see. It'd be nice to keep RPM's down while cruising, reduce drag while coasting, and make it possible to assist pedal at speeds other than <12mph. I've no problem pedaling, I just want to keep up with traffic.

Last edited by xenodius; 07-23-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 AM

Arrow Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

That's interesting. I hope I don't get the thread locked or posts blocked.

You can get these at the toy store for $1-5, and they are obviously fake (though could be confused as a flare gun by some idiots or cops on a MWG call.) Dogs might or might not run from it. Follow your local and state laws, please.

http://static.fastcommerce.com/conte...arsnubnose.jpg

I really don't want to shoot anything, but I wouldn't hesitate if it seriously attacked. If there are other measures that will work, that is the best course. I think a .22 rimfire isn't enough, but if that's what you want, get the Walther 22 semi-auto. It is a real hot seller here. It holds 10 rounds and the mag-release is actually a hinged section of the trigger guard, so you will never accidentally drop your mag or have it jam after the first shot if you pocket-holster carry or belt-clip carry.
I agree, dogs are a serious danger to bicyclists and motorcyclists.

For a related thread, see twospoke.com here:
http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f27/ho...off-dogs-1664/
here:
http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f27/protection-dogs-7447/

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodar View Post

yodar

Last edited by happycheapskate; 07-24-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:11 AM

http://www.antifeministtech.info/wp-...a_facepalm.jpg

Why does this "go shoot the owner" comment always come up in any discussion about defensive firearms and stray/loose dogs pursuing bicyclists? That is just a dumb idea.

The owner could be a meathead, or could be a teenager. The dog might be behind a fence yet hop over it. I am not sure if the comment was some kind of sarcasm or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
If your dog is not trained then it should be behind a fence. You should get off the bike and go shoot the dogs owner.
fatdaddy.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 07-24-2012 at 05:23 AM.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:14 AM

If you are too lazy to train your dog or at least put it on a decent run,you shouldn't be allowed to pull air.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 AM

And a crescent wrench to the dome stops most meatheads.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner