Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Staff

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Wow Dave, how are you breaking vices? I told you you had to use your powers carefully! (lol, "Super Dave")

I have a lathe and am just learning to use it so would enjoy making one for you. Be a learning thing for me and will gladly take a stab at it. Building a shop so all tools are in a pile. So would be a while. If you subscribe to workshop thread, it will remind us both to work on making your clamping screw when I am set-up. If ya want. I don't want any thing for it, just to see if I can actually make one. But let me know. Really does sound fun and simple. LOL, I say that now. Not so much when I am throwing stuff at new shop walls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 06-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Well, DaveC, we're on to you. The alias of Clark Kent had outlived its usefulness, eh? So now you're learning that you have to be careful with those poor, wimpy, SOLID IRON vices.

Never fear, Superma...er, I mean Dave. In all seriousness, I used to know a fellow in the SCA who worked at a shop capable of milling titanium. I'll bet he could make you a vice. I'd be cool! I don't think it'd be cheap though. And it might take me some time to track him down.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 06-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I pretty much abuse ALL my tools, including my vice, and I've never broken one, let alone TWO. And I'm 57 years old, plenty of time to break one. You're gonna have to tell me your secret as I like to experience everything life has to offer. So, tell us again, HOW do ya break a solid steel vice? (Or two.)
fatdaddy.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:47 PM

Guess I'm just gnarlier than ya'all heheheh. First one I was useing a cheater bar on, something was not gripping well enough and kept turning. Snap. Second, the base broke. And if that vice was made of steel I'll eat it Cast junk iron from what I could tell. Even though I got a pretty nice new one I watch craigslist for old ones. I'd like a Winton but they are expensive. I promise to take better care of the one I just got
Old 06-24-2012, 07:17 PM

i like record brand vises
the threaded part is probably acme thread,there some places on this planet that sell it.
its cool Dan wants to try his hand at making you one.
nothing to lose,i'd try it myself if it was close enough.just some custom grinding on a piece of tool steel and many hours of swearing.

i saw a home built vise on the H.A.M.B. under home made tools.
its awesome.wait,i go find the link.
k,i'm back, here it is
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...homemade+tools

will take some browsing,but well worth the time if you like tools....
i like tools.....

oh,ya, i went for a ride to the highway and back,came flying into my driveway (blind spot)
and narrowly missed my van coming out of the driveway,had my wife not heard me coming it would have been worse than my knee wiping a little dirt off the fender.

Last edited by tooljunkie; 06-24-2012 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:01 AM

Just checked out 1/3 of that thread TJ. And Wow! It's amazing what people can do with a welder and some steel stock, eh? Anyone who welds should check it out.

Found that whicked vise on page #24. The offset grip is brilliant!

Loud pipes avoid run-ins with wives
Old 06-25-2012, 02:59 PM
Staff

Oh Man! Cool vise Killer.

Gonna have to try some thing like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 06-25-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Wow Dave, how are you breaking vices? I told you you had to use your powers carefully! (lol, "Super Dave")

I have a lathe and am just learning to use it so would enjoy making one for you. Be a learning thing for me and will gladly take a stab at it. Building a shop so all tools are in a pile. So would be a while. If you subscribe to workshop thread, it will remind us both to work on making your clamping screw when I am set-up. If ya want. I don't want any thing for it, just to see if I can actually make one. But let me know. Really does sound fun and simple. LOL, I say that now. Not so much when I am throwing stuff at new shop walls.
Dan, I didn't see this until now and sure, IF I can find the vise I'll remove the screw so you can give it a shot. You'll prob need 1 inch stock to make it from. I'm pretty sure it's still here, some might call us "hoarders" but I tell them I'm just lazy Things have a tendency to stay where I place them for years...well... except for that gokart Airhart brake I had hanging on the wall from when I first took up gokart racing 25 years ago. That's what I get for letting deadbeat friends stay here...stuff comes up missing

I'll let you know if and when I find it.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:31 AM

Yes home made vise by welding ect. Nice!

The Hobart site has plans online for a brake press I should like to weld up and build.

MT
Old 06-29-2012, 10:08 AM

Got the rest of my brake stuff in the mail yesterday. Installed it, looks awesome now and stops well.
Gonna wait till I get the rear wheel straightened before I mount up my rear brake. Then again, I also have to get a new barrel adjuster on the dual brake lever because the one that is unused that the moment rattled out when I was riding it yesterday. >.<

Sorry for darkness, it was hard to see as the sun was in my face.

Also, this thread needs to be stickied.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner