Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-15-2012, 02:50 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercanuck View Post
Bummer Steve. Yea with a loose mount(or rubber, boo), the motor'll shake and foam the gas in the bowl, then it'll sputter and spit till you slow down or pull over for a minute.

I did a weird mod a while back on my beater bike, and Al.Fisherman added some great pics of his mods too. It's worth a read eh. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35936
Very innovative, I've done something very close to this for the front mount. If the sides of the front mount holes are ALL busted out you can save buying a new case.(or engine.)
fatdaddy.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercanuck View Post
Bummer Steve. Yea with a loose mount(or rubber, boo), the motor'll shake and foam the gas in the bowl, then it'll sputter and spit till you slow down or pull over for a minute.

I did a weird mod a while back on my beater bike, and Al.Fisherman added some great pics of his mods too. It's worth a read eh. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=35936
Funny, I've NEVER seen that thread before, and that is exactly what I'd planned to do. Great minds think alike?
Old 06-15-2012, 07:17 PM

I put a manic mechanic sprocket adapter on my Panama Jack. I should have done that the day I got the engine kit. Why didn't anyone tell me such a thing existed.

Oh well, live and learn...
Old 06-15-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donphantasmo View Post
I put a manic mechanic sprocket adapter on my Panama Jack. I should have done that the day I got the engine kit. Why didn't anyone tell me such a thing existed.

there are lots of things you can learn by reading what others have built and seeing the parts they used and how they used them....
You will learn what works well and what does not work so well
Old 06-15-2012, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1990 View Post
Funny, I've NEVER seen that thread before, and that is exactly what I'd planned to do. Great minds think alike?
Heh heh, must be something in the water up around here eh?
Old 06-15-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donphantasmo View Post

I've used the Manic mount before. It's OK, theres nothing much wrong with it. I've just found the Howard sprocket mount to be superier. It's a three peice rather than a two peice, and that lets it apply pressure more evenly around the hub. Also, It has the standard nine hole mount pattern that allows you to change to any standard sprocket size. And then there's the Manic ALUMINUM sprocket. Even the cheap chinese sprockets are made out of steel. And you HAVE to buy it from a Manic dealer, (three hole setup.)
So all in all, I'd rather use a Howard. About the same price and more versatile then the Manic. I've been running one on my Cranbrook for 7 or 8 months now without a hitch. You can contact Sgt. Howard on this site or "the other one" for more info.
fatdaddy.
And OH YEAH, How about some pics bro.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Howard Mount.jpg (7.7 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by fatdaddy; 06-15-2012 at 10:03 PM. Reason: Pics Please
Old 06-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Installed my cheap ass combo brake light,tail light,turn singal and horn I picked-up on ebay for $6 to make me abit more legal when my plate and reg. shows up.
The thing works !!
Old 06-16-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldtime View Post
Installed my cheap ass combo brake light,tail light,turn singal and horn I picked-up on ebay for $6 to make me abit more legal when my plate and reg. shows up.
The thing works !!
$18 is cheap insurance to keep the cops off yer back. I got my plates a couple months ago. Still no M-2 though. Hey, I still gotta be a LITTLE outlaw.
fatdaddy.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:04 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

No ride tonight. Been out in the shed putzing with the fuel line. The thick fuel-line rubber section that I'm using as a flexible bridge between the carburettor and the copper has developed a slight, slow drip when I open the petcock. It doesn't seem to drip when the engine runs and I'm moving, only when I idle at a stop or when I shut down first - right before I close the petcock. I probably could have left bad-enough alone, but it was bugging me, so I put a more serious screw-down hose clamp on it. That seems to do the trick.
And even just doing that little bit of work, with the high humidity, the mid 80s heat - even after dark, and the high ozone, all together had me sweating so much I was dripping like a faucet on the floor. When I stood up I saw stars. I got inside, and the air conditioned coolness almost knocked me flat. I drank what seemed like a gallon of water, sat down, and finally started to feel better. I've been doing stuff inside and outside all day. I sure hope tomorrow is cooler. I want to ride.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 06-17-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1990 View Post
Its actually the rear motor mount. broke right about the 400mile mark, so probably 200miles ago. its the left side, opposite of the clutch. When that happened I replaced the other 3 w/ grade-8 bolts. reworked the bracket for the rear mount and it is pretty solid, but the bike hasn't been running right for awhile and I noticed with it shaking as much as it does that their is more movement than I'd like in that mount. Worst part is, the stud is broken ~1/8 of an inch in, and I can't get a drill bit to NOT walk onto the softer aluminum to drill it out.
try to find a small piece of tubing that fits in the hole,and a drill that fits the tubing.it will keep the bit close to center allowing you to get a mark started for drilling.
i have done this with good success.
a centre punch,good and sharp and a teenie drill bit will get it started too.
a pilot hole is always a good way to start.

third is for hard bolts,a carbide burr in (i prefer the ball shape) a slow drill will grind away the broken bolt.very slow and compressed air to blow away the chips.
i was the broken bolt guru in the shop i worked in for a few years,exhaust manifolds were my forte'

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner