Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:56 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
When considering a ratio for these cheap, made from recycled beer cans and coat hangers engines, the more lube in it, the better for the poor quality internals.
There are a few highly regarded exceptions to that train of thought though, Opti2 comes to mind.
If you want an "education" on the subject, sit back, grab your favorite beverage and snack food, and read this: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=9850
Good grief, 91 pages.
Book marked. Thanks.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:46 AM

I was carpooling to work, so I let my bike sit in the house for 6 months. I'm done carpooling. My wife was dropping me off @ work. When it was time to pick me up, she'd doze off to sleep. This happened too often, so it was time to resume commuting to work w/my MB.

Today, I replaced the front tire tube, installed a new sparkplug and cleaned and oiled my K&N air filter. After draining the old gas, I poured Opti-2 into the Happy Time fuel tank and pedalled to the gas station. Filling the tank, I pedalled on the grass for a block to thoroughly mix the 2-stroke mix. After several pulls, the Tanaka 47R engine roared to life. I had forgotten what this powerful engine had sounded like! It was dark, so I slowly rode the isolated deserted sidewalks for a testride. Before parking the bike, I had replaced both wheels and added a new 11t-34t cassette with new bike chain and 8mm engine chain.

Surprisingly, nothing fell off. The chains remained in place and never missed a shift. The bike and I are ready for tomorrow's 12-mile commute.

I can hardly wait until daylight!
Old 06-12-2012, 06:12 AM

I rode it, WOT of course, to the next country town. I passed a hay truck coming the other way, an 18 wheeler with a flatbed loaded to the absolute max with roll bales. As the vehicle approached, it felt like a crazy tailwind was pushing me. As it neared, I leaned away from the suction of it's draft, then as it roared past, a massive thrust of air slammed into me. I thought it might blow me off the bike, but I kept it on the road.

http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/pi...hay_hauler.jpg
Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 AM

Hmm. what did I do to my motor bike. I built a tail light using high-intensity LEDs to work off the white wire (Protip: Do not buy from Radio Shack. Too expensive. Over $2 per LED? No thank you). It has 6 LEDs, 3 are on all the time, and the other 3 come on when I put on the brakes.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotgeek View Post
Hmm. what did I do to my motor bike. I built a tail light using high-intensity LEDs to work off the white wire (Protip: Do not buy from Radio Shack. Too expensive. Over $2 per LED? No thank you). It has 6 LEDs, 3 are on all the time, and the other 3 come on when I put on the brakes.
Depending on how much power it draws from the white wire, you might want to put a switch on the light. If the light is taking too much power it might be easier to cold start if ALL the electrical power is at your disposal. I know LED's draw a LOT less then regular bulbs, but it will draw some. It's just a thought.
No one I know has ever had any luck using the infernal white wire. Let us know how it goes.
fatdaddy.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:26 PM

I've had the headlight on it for the last 1,000 miles and was living with a bell tail light crudely wired into it, but I wanted a more efficient tail light with brake. The whole system draws only about .3 watts, runs no different whether I plug it in or not except I have to turn the idle screw about 1/4 turn in.

Video of new lights

Last edited by Pilotgeek; 06-12-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilotgeek View Post
I've had the headlight on it for the last 1,000 miles and was living with a bell tail light crudely wired into it, but I wanted a more efficient tail light with brake. The whole system draws only about .3 watts, runs no different whether I plug it in or not except I have to turn the idle screw about 1/4 turn in.

Video of new lights
So it is drawing noticable power from the engine. You may not FEEL it in the powerband, but the plug is not getting the same spark it was before. But, If it still runs good enough for you then it don't matter. My original concern was about cold starting. If it still starts well while cold then you're OK I think.
Your lights seem to work well, Good job.
fatdaddy.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:22 PM

1/4 turn in is not that much while idling (it does not make much power idling in the first place). If I had to crank the idle in multiple full turns, THAT would be drawing noticeable power. Whether I ride with or without lights, it performs the same. It will haul me and my loaded bike (310lbs total) up a pretty steep incline at 28mph. I've even used resistor spark plugs without much difference. Maybe I have an abnormally powerful magneto or something. I've noticed it doesn't reduce spark much until you draw over .5 watts on the white wire, and my lighting uses about .3 watts.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I discovered it will run with the float bowl most of the way off. lol. I was having a hard time starting it, but it started, then I fealt my ankel getting wet, pulled off, one screw to the float bowl was gone and the other was almost gone. But the bike was still running. Gotta find another screw now.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:27 PM

Hah, the cheap carbs never cease to amaze me. I know the screws are a fairly common size because I had some laying around. If you can cut a cork gasket, those work well to help seal the bowl and put pressure on the screws if they come loose a bit.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner