Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I fine tuned the breaks. layed all my wires. Detailed the whole bike and went for a 30 mile ride. It has been a fun week since my motor has broken in! Thinking about getting a smaller sproket. 44t is to large for me
Old 06-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Replaced my stock carb with an NT. Now I get real good low end and medium throttle but it tops out at the upper end.

Do I re-jet it right away or play with that goofy pin in the carb barrel?
Right now it's in the middle position. I played with this pin in with my stock carb and it didn't really do anything (I'm thinking about dropping it one notch anyway).

With the new carb the oscillation is gone and from zero to 15 mph it bolts like a stripped ape. It just seems to run out of fuel at max and my brother just pulls away.

My brother re-jetted by drill press and it didn't do anything until he pulled a little choke and now it's freaking amazing through the entire throttle range! Speaking of choke all my choke does is kill the engine, cold/hot/or slightly warm choke is always bad. It starts fine with out the choke but boggles until it warms up 15-20 seconds.

And now I haven't pulled the plug yet, but I'm sure it's lean at full throttle.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Pulling the choke enrichens the fuel/ air ratio so your assessment of too lean is spot on (if I am reading what you said correctly). If you are referring to applying the choke all the way and the engine runs poorly that seems normal, the choke is only there to aid in starting when the engine is stone cold. To help diagnose what the carb needs for tuning, try partial choke settings in small increments instead to see if there is any improvement. If there is than you are too lean, if it is worse you are too rich.
As for the issues at full throttle, definitely do a plug chop at full throttle to be sure.
(Don't forget to let the engine cool down completely before removing the spark plug.)

Lowering the clip on the slide needle will raise the needle and enrichen the ratio up to 3/4 throttle. If you are having issues above 3/4 to full throttle that indicates that the fuel jet is too small.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 06-09-2012, 09:06 PM

Took off my old intake pipe that I soldered a 90 degree 0.5" copper fitting to, to clear my small frame, and put a 45 Degree .75" copper fitting on it.
This time I got it 100% airtight, I'm 99% sure of that, and I am not putting wires, fibreglass and JB weld on it this time.
I tested it out, seemed better, but I just fit the carb on for now and it kept blowing off. I'll try to clamp it on tomorrow, It needs a bigger clamp, the copper fitting fits over the carb tangs, not in it, and I am not sure how clampable the carb tangs are. I would then have to cut tangs into the copper piece.
I did some other stuff yesterday, long story.

Anyway, here's some pics:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG6461.JPG (153.5 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG6465.JPG (134.0 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG6467.JPG (137.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG6470.JPG (149.5 KB, 105 views)
Old 06-09-2012, 09:09 PM

Crap, forgot the most important picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG6473.JPG (144.0 KB, 100 views)
Old 06-09-2012, 09:12 PM

Keep that broken vice for your next trip to the metal scrap yard; they'll pay you a bit of cash forit that you can put towards one, hopefully, that is not made "off shore"! I use a vise today that I got from my dad who got it from his dad and who knows who before that! It has never let me down and we all have used it hard. Great photo that you took and shared with us, thanks. BMF
Old 06-09-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
Pulling the choke enrichens the fuel/ air ratio so your assessment of too lean is spot on (if I am reading what you said correctly). If you are referring to applying the choke all the way and the engine runs poorly that seems normal, the choke is only there to aid in starting when the engine is stone cold. To help diagnose what the carb needs for tuning, try partial choke settings in small increments instead to see if there is any improvement. If there is than you are too lean, if it is worse you are too rich.
As for the issues at full throttle, definitely do a plug chop at full throttle to be sure.
(Don't forget to let the engine cool down completely before removing the spark plug.)

Lowering the clip on the slide needle will raise the needle and enrichen the ratio up to 3/4 throttle. If you are having issues above 3/4 to full throttle that indicates that the fuel jet is too small.
Thanks for the help, any choke at any setting kills the engine.
The major problem has been at WOT, so re-jetting is the answer.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Going out tonight to (hopefully) finish my choke extension lever. And I'll try to remember pics too.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 06-10-2012, 06:37 PM

Smile Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Um....I went on a great overcasted 3 speed peddal trip to my local Harbor Freight and picked up goodies a heavy duty chain breaker, some 1.00$ 2 part clear epoxy, and a 1.00$ finger LED light. I worked more on my 4 stroke kit install I'm getting close. I also used RED KOTE I wanted my new gas tank to never rust and did that yesterday but you have to wait 24 hours for it to fully cure, better safe than sorry that's kind of the whole point of doing it and add some patience. I also picked up some cables for my ATV thumb throttle dual brake.

Cheers to all,
Old 06-11-2012, 01:09 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Well, I went over the old girl with a fine-tooth comb. I set her in the bright, near-blinding, sunlight this afternoon. I cleaned her up. I looked, and tapped, around for cracks. I touched up nicks in the paint, checked for loose screws, nuts, bolts, fasteners of all kinds. I tested the batteries, air, fuel filter, & air filter. Checked wheel & chain alignment.

Then, off I rode to try out my new choke lever extension. And let me say: I LOVE IT! Super easy to reach and work. Why didn't I do this sooner? Oh yeah, pics! I put some below. They're not the best. I used old brass scraps and metronome parts. But it looks good and it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Choke lever detail.JPG (76.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg Choke Lever Detail 2.JPG (82.4 KB, 53 views)

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner