Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
On my way to work this morning, I ran over and killed a squirrel. It made me sad.
Sorry about the squirrel, but the sucker shoulda been wearing a helmet.
fatdaddy.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Herder View Post
I almost hate that when that happens. Can't find nothing else to fix that's part of the fun lol. Then it's mandatory to have to park it next to the T.V. at night after work and stare at it
I just park it in front of the shop, Get a cup-o-joe or a cold drink and stare at it untill I find something I consider "wrong" with it. Sometimes that takes two or three hours. There are some days I prefer spending time with my bike rather then my girlfriend.
My Hussy don't argue with me.
fatdaddy.
Old 06-06-2012, 05:00 PM
Staff

Quote:
On my way to work this morning, I ran over and killed a squirrel. It made me sad.
That is a bummer and not fun Joe. Will kill the happy, happy of a good ride.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 06-06-2012, 08:59 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

I began work today on an extension lever for my choke, to be mounted on a small quadrant behind my tank and within easy reach (unlike now). It'll be little more than a pretty brass lever working a steel rod linked to the original choke lever on the carb. I'm hoping to find it easier than fishing around down there whilst not falling over.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 06-06-2012, 09:13 PM

I have often wondered why the choke lever in a nt is on the right side of the carb. I have to try and reach over with my left hand while keeping it running with the right. If you get something made post pictures, I would be interested.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Bummer- thankful enough he didn't cause you to wreck-
Old 06-07-2012, 12:23 AM

I'd like to run a cable for the choke so I can control it from my bars, probably use a thumb shifter. Then I'll use a grip shifter for the clutch. :-) But I'm not sure how to make a secure mount for the cable jacket. I don't want to resort to a series of zip ties and super glue... Might be able to run it under the gas tank mount though, that's put it in the right spot. :-)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:06 AM

On the pre-WWI Harleys, there was a small lever on the right side of the back of the tank that worked the spark advance- I am thinking take bellcrank for a U-controll model aircraft, mount it on the top bar, right side behind the peanut tank... after you grind off one of the long arms. Dip the roundel of the other long arm in black liquid vinyl handle stuff before as well- mount with the small arm facing backwards and the big arm up. Now drill a hole into the choke handle the same diameter as the tag hole in the bellcrank arm- rig up a pushrod between the two such that pushing the big arm foreward engages the choke-not as handy as on the handlebars, but much better than reaching with the left hand or (as I do) waiting until you have enough speed and coasting while you let go of the throttle to muck with the choke.

Then again, maybe I can design something that others will favor

... Maybe they are afraid of us coming after them...?

the Old Sgt.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:37 AM

Sounds complicated but classy! :-) I think if you used a cable it'd be pretty easy, because the choke doesn't have any resistance. It wouldn't have to be held by much.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:20 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenodius View Post
Sounds complicated but classy! :-) I think if you used a cable it'd be pretty easy, because the choke doesn't have any resistance. It wouldn't have to be held by much.
Yeah, I though about using a cable. But then I would have to develop a mount that would keep the cable sheath stationary whilst the cable moves in it. A simple lever that moves a steel rod up and down, the other end of which is connected to the carburettor's choke lever, is easy for me to make and looks more vintage (in keeping with the overall mid-teens styling of my bike.

Talking of which: I located the shiny brass guts of an old metronome in my junk bin. (Alright, ONE OF my junk bins.) Where the pendulum came up through the escapement body is formed like a small quadrant. A large part of my work is precisely done for me. I am on to designing a lever that will work. "Re-purposing" saves the day again! Now I don't need to whittle and hack with file and jeweler's saw to form a decent looking quadrant to hold the lever.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 06-08-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner