Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

16:1 is way too rich. 24:1 is better for a start. Two tanks of that then 32:1. The 16:1 thing is for low quality oil or even used oil. Modern oils are much better than any Chinee oil.

They are some here running Opti oil at 100:1. That's a little thin for the old racer in me but I'll be running 50:1 with Maxima Formula K2 oil. It's very expensive at $10 a pint. I used Maxima oil when I was racing a RM250 Suzuki on a SuperKart and never had an oil related problem. Just make sure you get an oil specifically made for air cooled motors. The water cooled motors do not run as hot and the Chinee motor really needs the extra protection.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
16:1 is way too rich. 24:1 is better for a start. Two tanks of that then 32:1. The 16:1 thing is for low quality oil or even used oil. Modern oils are much better than any Chinee oil.
Ha! I knew someone would say that!
It's just something I read somewhere that said use 16:1, a lot of people do use 16:1.
Just one more tank anyway, then I will dilute the rest left in the jug and add the lower amount of oil, post break in.

In other words I already mixed it, and I ain't un-mixing it.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 PM

One thing to look forward to, if your engine runs good at 16/1 it will be a lot better when you lean it out some. I ran 16/1 in my first build, mine ran bad. On the bikes since I start at 24/1, but for each his own.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:33 PM

I should be really impressed then when I switch to a proper synthetic mix, because my motor goes like a bat out of heck now.

I am using the frequent WOT and slow down method to break in, I agree with the theory that babying the motor does not seat the rings properly.

Wait a minute!
Quote:
if your engine runs good at 16/1 it will be a lot better when you lean it out some
Run better when I lean out the oil?

Or, you mean I will have to lean it (the carburetor) out some more when I go a smaller oil ratio?

Last edited by Toadmund; 05-27-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:56 PM

When you use less oil, sorry.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:23 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Today, I did nothing more with the bike than go on a *ahem* rather extended ride this evening. What with the temperature being at or near a hundred Faraheit from about 10 am until 4 pm and just plain-old blazing hot thereafter, I couldn't see doing it whilst the sun was above the horizon.
Once I had the new tank installed, I began checking bearing grease, I re-aligned the rear wheel and adjusted the chain, checked the plug, fussed with the idle, checked my air filter, and - you get the idea.
So today, as I was riding in the slightly cooler evening air, the bike was gliding along so effortlessly that I didn't want to get off. And the new tank being bigger, it thus holds much more fuel. I don't have the nagging in the back of my head telling me to cut my ride short anymore. I've got fuel for many miles. And she was cruising like a dream. (But I do concede: it takes a bit of work and general futzing to get a Happy Time 2-smoker to behave this well.)
I simply MUST take her out again tomorrow. I WILL find the time.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 05-28-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Gutter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadmund View Post

It was exhausting work!

One of the pictures (black cat) is the exhaust after [s]hand[/s] finger sanding with emery cloth. Sanded to good enough adequate perfection.
I had terrible night mares the other night rolled around in bed, night sweating the works. Dreamed I was a muffler! In the morning I woke up exhausted.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Herder View Post
I had terrible night mares the other night rolled around in bed, night sweating the works. Dreamed I was a muffler! In the morning I woke up exhausted.
Yeah right!
I think that you are just blowing smoke!

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 05-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

I rode my bike today and my baby 410 drive chain broke. Took it off and found out that the bearings on the drive side of my wheel were gone. literally gone. Dissapointing to say the least. I knew i had to get a HD wheel and have a bigger chain already. Just wanting to go out soo bad made me neglect waiting on my shippments. Few more days and im back on it!!
Old 05-28-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageBlunts904 View Post
I rode my bike today and my baby 410 drive chain broke. Took it off and found out that the bearings on the drive side of my wheel were gone. literally gone. Dissapointing to say the least. I knew i had to get a HD wheel and have a bigger chain already. Just wanting to go out soo bad made me neglect waiting on my shippments. Few more days and im back on it!!
Sorry to hear it Savage. The very first thing I do on a build is the H.D. rear wheel thing. You can even run a cheapo chain if you make sure it's alighned and lubed,(a good chain is better,) but a lightweight wheel will get you every time.
The next thing to do, if you haven't already, is to get a sprocket hub adapter. Driving the wheel from the spokes it just NOT a good idea, Even with a H.D. wheel. A rag joint may last a while, but you WILL be replacing spokes down the road.
fatdaddy.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner