Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Gutter Rider

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg58 View Post
Goat do you have blended fuel there? The ethanol here in Ga. Reaks havoc on small engine carbs.
We got the mixed stuff here too. A lot of what goes south, is folks leaving these things with fuel just sitting in them to turn to stinky varnish. I had a old chain saw here that I purposely ran it dry. Stored for almost ten years It fired right up and ran great. Still could use a diaphragm kit tho.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

i got some amsoil interceptor let me get like 50 miles on it and we will see how it runs , here in michigan people store things with gas in them over the winter all the time
Old 05-23-2012, 12:45 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

The new tank is installed! Woohoo! And it fits like a glove. And it feels pretty solid. Now I have to finish bending the copper fuel-line tubing, and fitting up the "goldfish bowl" fuel filter.
As a gag, I may try to find teeny little glass goldfish, and put 'em inside the sediment bowl filter. Just to see how people will react. I might even BS the people who ask about it by telling them the bike is powered by "Ichthean methane" produced by these tiny farting fish. The first person who believes it, I'd see if I could sell 'em a bridge.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 05-23-2012, 12:49 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen_Wrench View Post
...As a gag, I may try to find teeny little glass goldfish, and put 'em inside the sediment bowl filter. Just to see how people will react. I might even BS the people who ask about it by telling them the bike is powered by "Ichthean methane" produced by these tiny farting fish...
This made me snork my cawfee a bit b'dangit
Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM

switched the bike back to a centrifugal clutch. i just never could get that CVT running like i wanted it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:53 PM

I hate the corn poop gas too. It works ok as long as you shake it up well, maybe add a little extra oil, and don't let it sit in the engine.
I think my bike loses a little power on the gasahol.
You can google "ethanol free gas" to find any stations near you.

a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Herder View Post
We got the mixed stuff here too. A lot of what goes south, is folks leaving these things with fuel just sitting in them to turn to stinky varnish. I had a old chain saw here that I purposely ran it dry. Stored for almost ten years It fired right up and ran great. Still could use a diaphragm kit tho.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:59 PM
Godfather of Motorized Bicycles

What did I do to my motorized bike today?

Well, I got it out, checked the motor mount nuts and rode it for quite awhile, then I put it out for sale, right next to all my other toys -mini bikes, model airplanes, motorcycle kits (Tamiya), Akai 4 track reel to reel, and some other stuff. Not my guitars, cuatro, mandolin or lap steel though!

Don't worry, I can borrow my Dad's any time I want.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:30 PM

The problem we have is only one station I know of has gas without ethanol, and its on the other side of town from me. I have wondered why they charge 50 cents more per. Gal for plain gas.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 PM

Well, put a piece of cardboard in the clutch gear housing cover, works amazingly well to reduce gear whine (note, cut some cardboard away to make room for clutch adjustment nut area), I replaced the crappy strippy-head screws with black Allen key bolts (black motor).
Looks way nicer, who don't like Allen head bolts?

Funny, Canadian Tire only had 3 bolts left, I bought them anyway, turns out I had two in my bolt bin that I bought previously that were the wrong size for that other application! Bought a big chain 3 ft. long to make a bike lock, to go with my U lock, and a six pack of cherry tomatoe plants.

Took the bike out from my back yard, then it stalled, wouldn't start, just wouldn't go, put my thinking cap on and realized turning on the fuel petcock would be a great idea!

Then I raised the needle up one notch on the carb to lean out the fuel, engine runs much better now, much less 4 stroking, can't wait until I run regular oil mix after break in to see how she runs.

(Note, don't do carburetor work on the lawn, grass eats parts, but not this time, I found everything.)

PS, other than checking the spark plug for greyish white-ish ashy-ness, is there any indication, sound, temperature or anything that could give clues to an over lean condition?
Could I tell just by riding the bike?

Thanks, I'll stop, right now!
Now.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:21 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Well, I finished bending copper fuel line and tightening down compression fittings for the fuel filter, tank itself, and the carburettor. Then I drilled a rivet hole and a vent hole, and made a Nitril rubber washer/valve and riveted it inside the tank cap. The new tank's ready for a try-out.
Still need to adjust the chain, but tomorrow I think I will go for a ride.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner