Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
Hooray for friction drives. Which did you buy?
I went the cheap route and got the $190 4 stroke kit from 80cc Motorboys in Canada. http://www.80ccmotorboys.com/

I did have some problems with it though:
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=37322

The kit is pretty good for the price, considering that it is a 4 stroke, but the DAX kit is probably much better. You get what you pay for, and if all someone can afford is $190, then it's a start!

I haven't given up on 2 strokes yet. I just wanted something a bit more simple and reliable right now.

Old 02-28-2012, 05:30 PM

Ok, well save your pennies and get the Dax later. You can save the old one for a "girlfriend bike" for your wife or s.o. My wife likes hers. She will ride bikes now because she can motor whenever she gets tired.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
Ok, well save your pennies and get the Dax later. You can save the old one for a "girlfriend bike" for your wife or s.o. My wife likes hers. She will ride bikes now because she can motor whenever she gets tired.
Yeah, I'm definitely NOT done with this hobby/addiction!

Old 02-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

It was nice out today, and I got home from work while the sun was still up, so I pulled mine out, and filled it with fresh fuel, double checked everything, and took off pedaling...and pedaling...and pedaling..and it didn't want to start. So, back to the house, and check once again, fire, choke working, throttle working, petcock on the tank flowing, new fuel filter looks good, AHHA..its the darn valve on the Speed carb..somebody forgot to turn it on

After I berated "somebody" I got back on, and wonder of wonders, she fired right up and purred happily. I let it warm up for a minute, and then rode around the neighborhood a bit. It sure felt nice to have my toy back!

I just hope the weather continues to get nicer, so I can enjoy more after work rides. I get so tired of being cooped up in my service truck all day.

Tim
Old 02-28-2012, 10:25 PM

Well I put another 20+ miles on the old Black Bike today, made a trip into town, stop by the bank, then went over to my local bike shop and bought a new 24'' tire, a thick thorn resistant tube and a new rear haul whatever rack for this old black bike, the rack wasn't really the type for this bike, but with a little southern engineering I just took a piece of 1/8'' flat strap I had and made use of a hole that was already in the frame and fixed a bracket to secure the front of the rack, not at all fancy but functional, which is what I always shoot for anyway.

Boy Oh Boy...! I forgot just how good this one cruises down the highway since I put the 32T rear sprocket on, this little engine has around 1500 miles on it now and it's the only one I haven't made any mods to accept rejetting the carb and building the little baffled shorty exhaust it has on it, it also has some of the clutch pucks I made for it, I plan to pull the head pretty soon and install one of the better wrist pin bearings I have in this engine before that gives me a problem.

this bike settles in and just purrs...... at 30-35mph, my favorite of all 3 of my bikes to hit the road on, has a comfortable seat, and the Wald mini ape bars make it a pleasure to ride, everything about it seems to be better since I took the 26'' wheel off the back and put the 24'' with the 32T sprocket I weigh 205lbs and i pulls me great, hills and all.

The fella at my bike shop is super cool with my bikes, he even got his big book of bikes out today and was showing me bikes that he would love to see me put an engine on, he just really like all things Bicycle no matter what it is and that really makes it enjoyable when I go by to get some parts & pieces from him.

Anyway Guys & Gals, just thought I'd share my day with the old Black Bike.

Texas dusty dirt road picks of ole Blacky below... after the rack install this evening.

Peace, map
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ole Blacky 1-2-28-2012.jpg (172.9 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 02282012(001).jpg (104.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 02-29-2012, 12:44 AM

Looking at the picture I'd say you did a fine job on the rear bike rack. The bike looks very comfy and I can see why you enjoy riding it.
Old 02-29-2012, 01:44 AM

I poked new holes into it's flexible parts.
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=89

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 02-29-2012, 02:09 AM

I installed a new plastic tool box on my dax drive (for the one my kid broke last week), rode a while, and got a new spark wire and boot for my grubee. Had a nice ride. The drive through kitchens here allow mabs, so I can get tacos, burgers, chicken fried steak, and desserts from different shops and eat it all at once.

I used a leftover gear cable and housing when I put my bike together, got to finally get around to a new teflon cable and good housing. I think I'll get a v-brake noodle too, to smooth out the bend just before the carburetor.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:12 AM

That's pretty cool. I would have just bought some made for electric bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
I poked new holes into it's flexible parts.
http://motorbicycling.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=89
Old 02-29-2012, 02:14 AM

I was going to do just that, but I figured that this was cheaper, faster, and if the switches ever fail I have 2 spare already as they are sold in a bag of 4.
It's a win-win situation for me.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner