Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:42 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I rode it around the neighborhood for the first time ever.
I stopped by my friend's house to say hi. His mom was visiting from out of state. She loved it, said it reminded her of her JC Higgins she had years ago.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 02-26-2012, 10:26 AM

Found that the sweet spot for cruisin is dead on 37mph no clutch rattle just right
Old 02-26-2012, 03:50 PM

finished wiring lights and charging system on crappy cranny,an took the scruffy huffy out for short ride,charged up battery on the honda shadow,forgot to turn radio off on honda better go get it now before i drain battery again ,lol chili in crock pot sure smellen good.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:05 PM

The safety switch worked out great. I superglued it to a plastic handlebar bracket that used to have a reflector. It looks like a NOS switch. ;-)
Old 02-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Gutter Rider

Well got my forks put in. Had to dish my front wheel a bit were it was meant to be . Missed that part when I put the rim on. No biggie. My fork rake caster was perfect! Got everything dialed in wheel perfectly straight etc. I thought I would go with a felt thick Brick tire 24X3.0. So that is what I used.

Ran the tire a little low around the block like I always do to help seat the bead. Then aired it up to my usual preferred pressure about 40 psi. Did about 15 miles of errands grocery store etc. Was pulling into the hardware store parking lot when I got a rubbing noise in the front. I was going 10 mph or so slow at the time and quickly hit the rear brake to a immediate stop!

To my amazement the bead blew out of the tire and the tube popped out to the tune of a basket ball size on the very next pass of the front wheel. First thing I did was just stood there shocked staring at potential causes then looked for the valve core to let some pressure out. That's when I hesitated for a moment. Boom!! nice loud gun shot noise. I know this rim inside out by now. So gotta blame the tire. It was this type design and does not have a wire bead..

I ordered up some Maxis Hook Worms they are rated for more tire pressure and have a wire bead . Can't say as I am impressed with that Thick Brick tire. I could have lost my life or been crippled at a faster speed. Honestly I did not use a pressure gauge on it. I aired it up at home in my usual way I have done fore years I give the tire a squeeze e and I am always shy of 40 psi when I get a gauge out.

Mebbe there is a different rule set with these larger tires? like a hand squeeze don't feel the same as before? Yet i was running this size tire aired up hard on the rear for up to 5000 miles before. Although these rims are pretty wide and I do use a much larger tube now as a result.

I shore liked the way they felt an handled. This whole ditty God Must've been looking out for me. All I can say is I feel very lucky. Any speed over the bars onto the pavement is just crippling been there done it before. I don't want to think about that ever again.

So now I am counting my blessings and rethinking things. I think the Hook Worms are a wise choice.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 PM

That's odd. What kind of bead does it have?

A blowout like that can be caused by a faulty tire, or by a tube becoming lodged between the rim and bead, but usually you won't get far before it balloons out and explodes.

What kind of rim strips did you use? If they interfere with the bead/wheel interface (like those stretched rubber bands when they move or age), it can cause blow-offs. I have been using Gorilla Tape for a year and it is awesome.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 02-26-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:28 PM

That, really does not sound pleasent goat herder, glad your okay
Old 02-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Gutter Rider

I am rethinking the equitation. I had to make tire spoons for these rims out of an old forged steel s shaped box wrench. I could use a cleaner approach to putting these tires on! These are the hardest tire rim combo I have ever come across.

I gotta find better spoons and the cheesy plastic spoons from the bike shop go to crumbs at these no matter how much finesse. Good forged steel spoons or something. My spoon combo needs more inventing. I will prolly have to invent them in the garage at the bench grinder.. Man I hate narfing a pretty rim too. I sure can't see buying another set of frail ones from the bike shop. I am too tired to even look at it tonight. I am thinking mebbe I hurt the bead putting the tire on? I did soap up this pig good and slippery and talk dirty to it! I tried to be kind to it and really take my time lol.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Gutter Rider

Wow!

Glad ur OK, GH ...

I suppose it's possible u did a goof when you assembled the tire & tube, and aired it up...
But gosh, I bet you would at least have a suspicion if something were wrong in assembly.

Maybe the soap didn't allow the bead to grip the rim well??? or properly???

I've blown out tires before, sidewalls and tread, both... but I'm a tightwad, and at the speed I travel on a pedal-bike, it's not too much to worry about when one gives up.
I run used tires on my mab, but I definitely pay a bit more attention to my selection!

I'd like to try those hookworms... everyone seems to like 'em a lot.
Best
rc
Old 02-26-2012, 11:44 PM

Maybe dirt bike style rim clamps or even a couple c-clamps would do it, but that is just wierd how they would be that hard to get on. Did you use Super Tubes? (surely) Did you take the valve cores out, and press the bead up into the center of the rim when seating the last bit?

You should be able to get all but maybe 1/4 or less of the bead seated, and do without tire levers. If you need them, though, 2 plastic ones should do it, working from about 10 and 2 o clock, leaving one in place and inching the other up to it.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner