Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Well, the new wheels and cassette transferred to the bike easily. Brake adjustments were done. I'll be ordering new AVID BB7 brake pads soon.

I removed the HD freewheel for servicing. However the spare freewheel's mounting holes are too small, so I'll need special drill bits to enlarge the mounting holes.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Made a mount for my iPOD touch to record video. There is a light drizzle here, Maybe it will dry up and I can get a ride in. If not today, Then dry and sunny forecast for the rest of the week.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

I got my new CDI and Magneto set them up and also made a new exhaust with use of a new Briggs and Straton 6" long muffler 1/2" diameter. inlet used some Home Depot elbows and pipe pieces too make my routing set them with allitle jb weld and I put a piece of wood between my frame and the muffler used mega zipties. The wood works very well to absorb lots of the vibrations and i used some rubber also and its tied in place very securely. I love it and it's so smooth when I ride.

Cheers,
Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 PM

I bought this NOS Diamondback steel cruiser frame for $31 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=200709443729

It has guides for rear v-brakes and 7-speed derailleur.

What a deal!

Hopefully, my 6hp Robin/Subaru OHC engine fits w/little problems. I'm shooting for 29" ROCKSHOX fork, 29" Schwalbe Big Apple front tire, 26" Big Apple rear, disc brakes, 7-speed derailleur and shift kit. If the cassette fails, then maybe a NuVinci hub.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 02-13-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:58 AM

Nice frame, 5-7. However, I don't think those guides are for a derailleur. There seems to be no derailleur mount on that frame.
Looks like guides for an internal hub's shifter cable. Although, one doesn't often see internal-hub bikes with V-brakes...
Old 02-14-2012, 03:45 PM

Got a 40t #25 gear in today for the pocket bike jackshaft.

6t-40t = ~6.67:1 reduction
10t-44t = 4.40:1
40t-28t = .70:1
final drive in 1st gear = 20.53:1

should work out for some nice gearing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-7HEAVEN View Post
I bought this NOS Diamondback steel cruiser frame for $31 on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...m=200709443729

It has guides for rear v-brakes and 7-speed derailleur.

What a deal!

Hopefully, my 6hp Robin/Subaru OHC engine fits w/little problems. I'm shooting for 29" ROCKSHOX fork, 29" Schwalbe Big Apple front tire, 26" Big Apple rear, disc brakes, 7-speed derailleur and shift kit. If the cassette fails, then maybe a NuVinci hub.

$31 might have been the bid you won at but $92 for shipping needs to be added in, too Is it that expensive to ship to Hawaii? Or did the seller stab you on the shipping? I know that some sellers add their minimum to the shipping but that just seems a bit much

Now, onto my bike

I'm trying to figure out how to position the motor in the frame to measure and make templates for the motor mount plates to be welded to the frame. The lower mount will use the lower mounting holes on the S5 N Morini. They will be welded to the seat post and lower frame wqith the head lug attached to the top bar along with a mount for the expansion chamber. All I can think of is laying the bike on it's sode on a old sleeping bag and use old blankets to position the parts in the right place. I'll cut the templated from some poster board I have and transfer the design to steel to be cut with a plasma cutter.

I'll post in my thread about the build
Old 02-14-2012, 07:47 PM

Arrow Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

A lot of low-end bikes use a rear derailleur with its own hanger built in. (usually found on bikes with long horizontal dropouts, using a solid axle).

http://www.niagaracycle.com/images/jbimages/26427sm.jpg

You can get one for $5-15 here (great replacements for kids bikes, clunkers, work bikes, and conversions to rear shifting)
http://www.niagaracycle.com/index.ph...er_id=&sort=3a

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Aleman View Post
Nice frame, 5-7. However, I don't think those guides are for a derailleur. There seems to be no derailleur mount on that frame.
Looks like guides for an internal hub's shifter cable. Although, one doesn't often see internal-hub bikes with V-brakes...
Old 02-14-2012, 09:44 PM

On my Briggs bike coming together I cleaned out the gunk in the pawl clutch of the recoil starter. Last time I was adjusting the point gap and was testing it, I had not known why it would not start up after one of those loud screeches from the pawl clutch. It was late and all I checked was the spark and there was none. So since it was screeching now and then too often it all came apart and degreased and relubed.

Of course when I took off the flywheel to get to the points after cleaning the pawl clutch, I saw I had two pieces key. Yep enough force from the engine trying to spin the recoil spring tight and throw the pull cord out at me had the key shear. It did so very clean. No scratches on the keyway and I scrounged up another from an old engine lying around. I will keep extras on hand though; the ones for my centrifugal clutch and jackshaft are not the same dimensions.

I also was getting the point gap set right and it usually takes two or three tries. I got it a little better, but at high throttle not smooth and looses power. I made the gap a little wider from last time and will do that again. After that if it gets still better fine. If it gets worse, then I'll go the other way but just very little to zone in on it for best overall running at all speeds. No carb adjustments for the one I have since I switched from the vacujet to bowl type gravity feed from higher tank.

The idle adjust part of my home made throttle linkages I got set so it idles nice. With the final adjust of points, I can get back to hooking up brake and twist throttle cables. The jackshaft and belts try out and give it a ride soon.

MT

One other note, I found that initially putting the cover back on the pawl clutch, had the rubber gasket in upside down. It will not spin smooth that way. The ridge in the gasket faces out as in the middle picture shows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG07013-20120214-1448.JPG (395.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG07021-20120214-1556.JPG (457.8 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG04342-20110713-2330.JPG (449.5 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 02-14-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:17 PM

took mine for a spin had to try out the new cafe racer look i know it dosent realy go any faster but id be lyeing if i didnt say it felt like it did .

everything went perfectly even used the handlebars to get that ultimate streamline look .

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=34006 Link to INFIDEL 99cc predator build
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=39541Link to Recumbent golden eagle build

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner