Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Gutter Rider

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Back in the dayz of spectacular dirtbike crashes we used a set of old gm ignition points, with one end of the mounting plate slipped under a handlebar mounting bolt, for a kill switch.
Put a guitar pick between the points to 'keep em separated'.
a small cord to yer wrist...

difference of opinion between the machine and pilot would pop the pick, ground the coil, and prevent zinging out of redline during flite. lol

keep the cord long enough so u can adjust yer goggles...

Best
rc
Old 02-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Gutter Rider

Just laced up a set of wheels. Now its getting time for... Holms Hobbies Sapian spokes are sweet!
Old 02-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I made a little dashboard to hold my tach and kill button on my race bike. Ran the throttle and compression release cables through the support bracket. Getting it ready for Grange.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:24 PM

Thanks Msrfan…I will do that and if necessary shorten or lengthen the pull cord if all the square flats have any of the 4 side up. I need that marked corner up and with a 17 or so degree tilt back on my engine I will make any compensation to have the point up when the pull handle is fully retracted.

I'll look to see about the two types of systems on ignition. I have in the past actually spent 5 times adjusting to really get one engine timing right. I know I don't want to wear out the threads dissembling and assembling.

On my an Old Chevette with the ability to adjust the distributor cap while running the motor to set the timing had done many more times adjusting the timing, I had not known there was a bad crimp connection (essentially a variable resistor) going from the battery to the positive side of the coil. I had it advance and retard by itself as the vibration of the engine and the loosening and weathered crimp connector changed its resistance from 0ohms to well enough to have me at an underpass on an LA freeway messing with it. I know the cap was tightened down good and didn’t move, so finally that was solved.

Hey KC…..Patina a temp thing, but KC is there rat bikes that use rust and good chrome contrast?

HCS….., take a look at my post on page 1 post #6 pic 1 & 2 of the 5 there at "Motor Bike DIY'er build to add side car maybe?"
Plywood with epoxy and paint sandwich to attach to spokes 10 inch washing machine pulley using ss hdwr locking nylon an split locks. Later when tested blue loctite on threads with metal primer first.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=29678

I thought of the thread have you found anything good while riding your motorbike. Well since I was just scrounging the garbage for parts for my motor bike OHV / Art Vehicle, where I was not really riding my motor bike, maybe that it does not apply. I did though find an antenna rotor (Gorilla brand) that weighs like half the weight of my motor bike. It probably came down with an antenna as the guy plate had 1/4 inch steel mangled.

I have to cut away bend in sleeve and rotor tube to free it up and see if motor turns. I am making a double jackshaft mod to what I have now to get parade speed with 47:1 ratio, so maybe there is a way to use the rotor motor to be a starter motor. Now with a side car I could hook up a crank up mast and beam antenna when stopped. I have sections of a tower that was trashed; maybe I could trade it for a crank up mast at a scrap yard.

MT
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Antenna Rotor, not sure if motor OK for starter.JPG (380.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by MEASURE TWICE; 02-12-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycase View Post
Back in the dayz of spectacular dirtbike crashes we used a set of old gm ignition points, with one end of the mounting plate slipped under a handlebar mounting bolt, for a kill switch.

difference of opinion between the machine and pilot would pop the pick, ground the coil, and prevent zinging out of redline during flite. lol

Best
rc
Maybe a bit longer for those who go off the lip and have flight time to allow being fully behind the bike in flight. You know, where I could be just holding onto the top of the sissy bar at the back of the banana seat. "not me"

MT
Old 02-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-7HEAVEN View Post
Today, I bought a neck brace for riding:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NECK-BRACE-H...item58915f62f2

It is red, and will match my red motorcycle helmet and red chest protector.

It will be part of my Iron Man riding outfit.

I also bought a leather jacket for $101.00:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Leat...item337074585b

My red chest protector and elbow/forearm guards should be able to fit underneath.

It will be part of my Rocketeer riding outfit.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:30 PM

LOL, that's funny!

If I had a mind to, I woulda bought that suit years ago.

Then the horse and the lance.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM

Well the Morini knockoff motor is now fitted only problem is the clutch won't disengage I've rev'd it out but no go.. Hmm WHY!!!!!! Haha
Old 02-12-2012, 11:11 PM

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Menzqp0IL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Treadmill with kill switch and tether

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknEvdUN6lE BMX stunt fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycase View Post

Best
rc
Old 02-12-2012, 11:46 PM

another motor bit the dust :<

going to pull it off, get a 4 stroke mount and put a pocket bike motor on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner