Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:50 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Fitted the new magneto with a 4 hole type and redone my fuel line so it doesn't vibrate against the spark plug boot then tied it to the frame with a good drop to the carby.
Should be picking up the new tank petcock tomorrow and throwing the china one in the trash. Hopefully that'll get rid of the top end gremlin.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:37 AM

Sunday was a great day for a bike ride!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike photo 1-30-12 1024.jpg (624.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Gutter Rider

Nice mab, DH !

I like the look of full fenders and especially getting away from the Pnut tank...
Best
rc
Old 01-31-2012, 08:23 PM

got round to fitting the new fuel line setup today. Little bit overkill perhaps but i'm happy with it.
The fuel poors out now compared to the little trickle it had. Kinda looks like the fuel filter touchs the carb in the pic but it just clears.
Still yet to play with the float maybe when I rock the bike side to side a little dab of fuel comes out the overflow but it can wait atleast I know the bowl is full.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new fuel line.JPG (130.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 02-01-2012, 02:59 AM

I agree, great looking bike! I can't tell what motor is on it. Is this a kit or restoration? The tank looks really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhawk22 View Post
Sunday was a great day for a bike ride!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:55 PM

Yeasterday I rode down to the Legion to get their lotto tickets and when I got back, the second I pulled into the back yard, my bike died!!! I thought nothing of it cause the weather warmed up big time , and the bike was idling really low.
Today, I went out to clean and relube the chain and clean the rim. When all this was done, I decide to fire it up, and it ran for a bit and then started missing badly and died.
I removed the top of the carb and cleaned out the inner screen. Then I fired it up and it screamed a bit, then started missing and died again. Then it would not star at all even after about 100 pulls - I felt stupid.
I checked for spark and the spark was really small and week, so I pulled the magneto, and noticed the the lead comming from coil that is riveted to the plates, was kind of loose and that the coil could slide up and down along the plates.
I crimped the rivet hard to tighten it up and then solderd it to the top plate.
Problem solved!!!!! fired up on the very first pull and ran super!!! without missing at all.
Now I gotta reset my fuel/air ratio and idle since the electrical is now really strong.
Funny though a few days ago, my kill switch failed - I had to pull the magneto and solder a brand new ground wire on and install a new connector.
My bike ran really well and consistent for the last 2 months and now ait will run great right till spring.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Thanks guys, it's a china kit.

Today it rained but I took out the bike anyway and in full attire, riding boots, bomber jacket and cap with goggles and gauntlet gloves. My wife said I looked like a freak! I might but it was fun even with the rain
Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakenstein View Post
Yeasterday I rode down to the Legion to get their lotto tickets and when I got back, the second I pulled into the back yard, my bike died!!! I thought nothing of it cause the weather warmed up big time , and the bike was idling really low.
Today, I went out to clean and relube the chain and clean the rim. When all this was done, I decide to fire it up, and it ran for a bit and then started missing badly and died.
I removed the top of the carb and cleaned out the inner screen. Then I fired it up and it screamed a bit, then started missing and died again. Then it would not star at all even after about 100 pulls - I felt stupid.
I checked for spark and the spark was really small and week, so I pulled the magneto, and noticed the the lead comming from coil that is riveted to the plates, was kind of loose and that the coil could slide up and down along the plates.
I crimped the rivet hard to tighten it up and then solderd it to the top plate.
Problem solved!!!!! fired up on the very first pull and ran super!!! without missing at all.
Now I gotta reset my fuel/air ratio and idle since the electrical is now really strong.
Funny though a few days ago, my kill switch failed - I had to pull the magneto and solder a brand new ground wire on and install a new connector.
My bike ran really well and consistent for the last 2 months and now ait will run great right till spring.
==================================

I bet it was those gound hogs, there awakening and go around widdeling loose ground connections.

But really, I have a Briggs and they use screw/machine thread and nut with external tooth starwasher. The thing that is really a mess is the solid wire that is very brittle for the kill switch/points that broke off on me right down next to the epoxy (primary larger diameter wire thankfully). I melted with a crummy old solder tip to gain access to a 1/4 inch of this coated magnet wire. Then exacto knife scrapped away insulation and the soldered using the good tinned tip an extension wire. Used High Temp RTV and had it all back together using stranded high temp wire like the stuff for volt meter probes. No breaking that way!

I just have to add this.... once happened when a ground wire on the blower motor on the air conditioner in car had got loose. I had a cloud starting to rise from below the passenger side floor under the dash board. I was driving freeway speeds and was freaked out. It was really an opaqe cloud expanding upward. The installation on the AC was not good. They did'nt use an external tooth start washer on the wire lug or even scrape away much paint to get a good ground. Just letting you know if you are not driving through fog, but are actually transporting it

MT
Old 02-01-2012, 09:31 PM

Dallas motorized bicycle ride and Pizza dinner, Feb 19 Sunday, 2012, Message for details. If it rains, we can move it another week. 50 mile ride starting at White Rock Lake in Dallas, buffet pizza.

I didn't do anything to mine today but buy a spark plug, and I'm getting a section of radiator hose for a air intake tunnel for the Tanaka33.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Gutter Rider

Just a few short hops to the market yesterday... my motorized bicycle is ez to start and runs very reliably for the limited things I use it for!

I bought my chinagirl a new set of ground tackle yesterday.
found this old hack of a ratbike at the salvage yard. will try to get it rolling today. rc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rb20412.jpg (87.8 KB, 43 views)

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner