Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

It's been a good week for commuting to work. The only glitches were carb adjustments due to a high fuel/oil ratio, and a pesky first-to-second gear delay. New shifter cable and housings were installed; I need to tighten the cable a smidge.

I adjust my carb quite often. It's hard to do on the road, with engine running. Now, instead of carrying a screwdriver in my pocket, I change the "L" and "H" settings with the fingernail on my forefinger. Adjustments can be made with engine running @ the traffic light. With a screwdriver, I had to turn the engine off and adjust settings.

When I pumped in 3 quarts of 87 octane and Opti-2, f/o became almost normal @ about 95:1, up from 80:1. The Tanaka 47R engine REALLY enjoys 100:1 with Opti-2. Idle is smooth, plus there's less oil splatter with less oil in the fuel mix.

The Tanaka's OEM muffler tip is too short. The 1/2" exhaust extension hose won't stay connected. I need to fab an extension piece for the muffler tip.

My pullstart jams on the second pull, with the rope stretched out and stuck. I just pull on it a couple more times, then the pullstart starts working again. The first time it happened after work, I was frazzled. After disassembling the pullstart, I loosened the center screw and it started working again. When it happened again, I didn't wanna keep disassembling it every time it happened. So I pulled on the stuck rope and it recoiled to normal!

I just had an epiphany! Instead of repairing/replacing the defective pullstart, I'll just leave it on the engine. If someone tries to start the engine, the rope will stretch out and jam. That'll be a good theft deterrent.
Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 PM

I haven't ridden at all for the last week or two, the weather's been too crappy and the workdays have been too long. I've been keeping the pressure up in the tires, and rocking it to keep the fuel from separating completely in hopes that the next morning would be a riding day.

However, I upgraded some of my gear last weekend with a trip to the Vancouver Motorcycle Show. Sadly, there weren't that many custom bikes to drool over this year. I ended up being able to take advatage of the show prices with a new DOT certified Voss fiberglass shorty helmet, a pair of goggles that actually fit my face (UV protective, too) and a mask to reduce the sting of the grit, crap and rain (added bonus, it protects your eyes from my ugly mug ).

All suited up I look like I should be an extra on a Road Warrior set.

102_2386.jpg

The helmet also has a built-in swing-down tinted visor for the bright days.

102_2385.jpg

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 01-28-2012, 07:52 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

My wife informed me that we needed Benedryl as well as contact lens solution. I know an excuse to ride when I hear it. I double checked the thermometer; 50 degrees! Good enough for me. I cruised on down Southwest Street - a marvelous, twisty, turny little-used residential road. Not many people outside, but heads did turn.
I park at Walgreen's, lock up, and go in. Meanwhile, outside, the barometer's dropping like an anvil in a Roadrunner cartoon. I come back out and, as I load my stuff in the trunk, I notice it's grown markedly colder. And with an icey wind to boot. I couldn't get my girl started the first couple times, until I set the choke again. Once I let her idle a bit she was alright. I got home and read my thermometer, it had gone back down to freezing already! Whoa!
She does like to run in cold weather, but only if you can get her started and if you have time to warm her up. Otherwise - she likes the warm, sunny days. She obviously was unhappy being dragged out on a day like this, but I couldn't resist.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 01-29-2012, 07:08 AM

Swapped the rear sprocket out to a 36 tooth, changed from 20.1 to 35.1 oil ratio semi syn. and finally got the 18mm mikuni dialed in perfect.
Very happy with the result reaching 70km/hr passing cars and watching them check there speedo and lookin at this 6'5 big bugger hooting along i think there's still another 5 to 8 km/hr in it but seems to just be falling over at the moment gets to 70 and just dies like a rev limiter or something.
I know it's not the jetting as if I go I jet bigger or 1 jet smaller it basically does the same thing.
Gr8 day lookin forward to my next fang.
Cheers breno
Old 01-29-2012, 02:22 PM

A visit to the LBS got me a new Bontrager speedo. I also picked up a spare 8-speed chain, which I cut to proper length and keep in my backpack. I also bought a Shimano brake cable kit, so I'll fab new cable/housings today.

I also went to the motorcycle shop to try on new helmets. After finding the correct size I ordered a RED full-faced one. It should be here in a week. This is it:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=543

Why a red helmet? I'm gonna make stencils and create an.....

IRON MAN HELMET!

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Man-2-Hel...ref=pd_sbs_a_4

It'll match my red FOX chest protector, red/black elbow guards and red/black gloves. Dirt bike armor that I wear every time I ride my MB.

The helmet will also make me less invisible (What does that crazy bicycle rider think he's doing?).

My coworkers call me Iron Man, Transformers or Tron.

I am..... Iron Man.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 01-29-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:30 PM

They do love the cold Allen, for sure. Woo 5-7! Anti-Invisible for the win! Load up on LED's all over the suit, heh heh. Full face would get pretty hot in the summer though, eh?

Niice helmet CT, love that visor.

breno: hey, at that speed/rpm you might be getting some crazy vibes, and foaming the bowl. You could try a hose mount carby, or balance the crank /$0.02

I've been waiting for the river to freeze up good, to go for a rip up'n down the river with the snowmobiles Gotta have some kinda fun this time of year...
Old 01-29-2012, 05:30 PM

Hey killercanuck, I have a gut feeling its not foaming as it always does it virtually at the exact same speed everytime I fiddled with the float in the carb going both ways too with an unchanged result. The vibes come in at roughly 50km/hr but are short lived seems to get smoother up the top end.
I gotta feeling it may b my magneto not keeping up it only measures 260ohm the new 1 should turn up today hopefully.

Last edited by breno; 01-29-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Gutter Rider

It may just be too slow of a flow..from the tank. Check this discussion out. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=24880
Old 01-29-2012, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercanuck View Post
They do love the cold Allen, for sure. Woo 5-7! Anti-Invisible for the win! Load up on LED's all over the suit, heh heh. Full face would get pretty hot in the summer though, eh?

Niice helmet CT, love that visor.

breno: hey, at that speed/rpm you might be getting some crazy vibes, and foaming the bowl. You could try a hose mount carby, or balance the crank /$0.02

I've been waiting for the river to freeze up good, to go for a rip up'n down the river with the snowmobiles Gotta have some kinda fun this time of year...
I wear a 3/4 helmet w/shield up all the time. Full face w/shield up should be ok. I don't perspire much. No LED's, but I'm prolly painting my chest protector, back brace and knee/shin guards to match.
Old 01-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Gutter Rider

I went riding around for my usual errands today. The weather was awesome!! Went around town and did some shopping.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner