Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-22-2012, 01:40 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

One man's junk is another man's treasure! How about a belt drive!

bicycle with 3 hp briggs engine motorized bike 44mph - YouTube 40mph Murray!

I trued a wheel (and tightened it up some more. Ring, Ring, Ring go the spokes now with the guitar pick.) I bolted a milk crate to my Dax drive. It looks like it will work for light cargo (jacket, little tool bag, a few drinks) but its not going to take being loaded to the max like the one on I bolted down to a Wald rack on another bike. Any ideas?
I guess I will just have to use the trailer for real shopping. It's 5 mi to Walmart or Brookshires, so that is feasible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootmeister View Post
hey, Anim8r. I think I had the same snowblower. I picked it out of a guy's trash and all it needed was a new rubber gas line. I made a friction drive bike from the engine, I think it was a 3 or 3.5HP Tecumseh 2-stroker with recoil and AC electric start. I took the starter motor off to make it lighter. The engine was strong and pushed the bike pretty good, but I couldn't keep it from burning up my tires. That bike is long gone, but am thinking about making a chain drive bike with the engine. You should be able to get it going if the engine is still sound. A little tip, mine came with a mikuni diaphram carb. If the unit has been sitting for a while the carb will probably need a good cleaning or rebuilt. Kits are cheap and there are instructions for rebuilding online. Other than that, the ignition is CDI so there shouldn't be anything needed there. Good luck and let us know how you come out.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
One man's junk is another man's treasure! How about a belt drive!

bicycle with 3 hp briggs engine motorized bike 44mph - YouTube 40mph Murray!

I trued a wheel (and tightened it up some more. Ring, Ring, Ring go the spokes now with the guitar pick.) I bolted a milk crate to my Dax drive. It looks like it will work for light cargo (jacket, little tool bag, a few drinks) but its not going to take being loaded to the max like the one on I bolted down to a Wald rack on another bike. Any ideas?
I guess I will just have to use the trailer for real shopping. It's 5 mi to Walmart or Brookshires, so that is feasible.
What "key" are your spokes ringing with the guitar pick?

Not making fun. Tension would be perfect and consistent if all the spokes are "on key".

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 01-22-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:04 PM

Since the shifter cable was frayed, I replaced the cable. I also replaced the shifter cable housings(sheaths).

The broken bike chain was also changed, then I made a spare 8mm engine chain.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:23 PM

Not sure the note, really. The non-drive side is lower than the drive side, and the drive side spokes are very close. The cross pattern makes them ring in a couple of notes after picking, like a bell chime. It also rings a little lower pitch after the tire is inflated. I have never bought any of the Park or Wheelsmith fancy tools such as torque wrenches or spoke tensiometers. The best thing you can do is flex the spokes at the cross to measure tension. The wheel should not deform heavily when you put a side load on it (such as pulling 1 v-brake arm against the wheel. If you use rubber coated pliers above the spoke key when truing, you won't get spoke wind up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-7HEAVEN View Post
What "key" are your spokes ringing with the guitar pick?

Not making fun. Tension would be perfect and consistent if all the spokes are "on key".
Old 01-22-2012, 07:31 PM

I rode my Tanaka bike to the grocery store today with a trailer. I'm beat!

I somehow got a flat with a kevlar belted tire, but made it to the store with a hand pump and got a tube. hahaha. I saved the other for a patch up spare. Dang wongmart. They are doing better with bike stuff, but still half the time don't stock long-valve 700 or 27" tubes for the bikes they sell (Schwinn and Mongoose hybrids). I keep a supply of valve extenders for dually trucks, that works on shrader valves.

I pulled a fabric kid trailer with a laundry basket, 2 gallons of milk, 1 gal orange juice, 1 gallon rice milk, 1lb broccoli, 12pk beer, cheese, 1L soda, 2lb chicken nuggets, and a red bull. I forgot extra fuel, (oops!) so, even pedaling hard, I had to granny gear the last mile home. hahahaha.

The dip-can filter box will make do till I get parts, but the kitchen pads and lid were WAY too restrictive. It worked ok with the Ace gauze and worm clamp. The walmart workers on break thought it was cool, and cagers were bewildered. They thought I had children in there. I don't see it a crime to ride svc road and backroads with a kid, but I stick to the slow rural routes and parks with my daughter.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 01-22-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:59 PM

Put one of my Tanaka 33's on the stand up scooter. Gonna get this thing running again.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:17 PM

put a 24" tire on the bike, suddenly had issues with the chain jumping off the front and back gears :/

UPDATE! fixed it, somehow i had a stiff link that was causing problems. not sure how it became stiff though, never messed with that chain, kept it well oiled too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.

Last edited by Skarrd; 01-23-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:29 PM

yea Skarrd, I've had that happen when you take a chain off, then it accidentally gets turned "inside out"... pita, for sure.

I finally got this centri clutch working properly, can get her buttoned up and finisyed now, woo.
66cc in a Tandem first test - YouTube
Old 01-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Can't say I've done anything to the bike directly, at least not recently. But that may change after an income tax refund. I've spent my time researching the properties of various gauges of aluminum, and reading reviews and user instructions on Alumiweld. I've also been plowing through Tinsmith's posts on gas tank construction. I'm thinking seriously about taking the plunge and building myself a bigger, better in-frame tank.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 01-24-2012, 02:00 AM

After replacing two spokes, broken derailleur mount, broken cassette plastic chain guard, broken bicycle chain, worn engine chain, frayed shifter cable & housings, I commuted to work without incident. However, there is a noticeable vibration near the bottom bracket. The bike chain is rubbing against the bent two-legged center stand. I'll remove the stand until I can find a replacement.

The exhaust hose fell off the OEM muffler tip. The tip is about .5" long, hard for the hose to grab. I need to extend the tip to 1" or so.

I can't wait for daylight!

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner