Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
So, who has replacement engines in stock this time of year?
Everyone on ebay.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 PM

Installed a new inline fuel filter and a NGK series plug for the colder weather and Wow the bike ran better than it has in a while. All the power seems to be back with minimal 4-stroking during warm-up. Ordered a new set of pull back handlebars to be a bit more period correct. We'll see how they look, should be here in a few days.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:27 PM

got an orbital sander, and some 40, 120, 240 grit sand paper, then went to town on the cylinder, getting it sanded to where it needs to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:07 PM

lol KDB, put her down in comfort...

Skarrd, your talking about fins I hope wouldn't want to lap with an orbital xD

Had fun with the Pull-Start/Centri... oh wait did I say fun? meant got extra grey from it...
http://motorbicycling.com/f44/63-imp...tml#post355914
Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercanuck View Post
lol KDB, put her down in comfort...

Skarrd, your talking about fins I hope wouldn't want to lap with an orbital xD

Had fun with the Pull-Start/Centri... oh wait did I say fun? meant got extra grey from it...
http://motorbicycling.com/f44/63-imp...tml#post355914
yup, lapped it. turned out really awesome actually. much better than when i would do it by hand with some sandpaper on the floor.

Quote:
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:23 PM

Got the two neck stems I was expectiing...they are the wrong size.. Ordered 22.2 stems and got 20.7 it looks like. They rattle loose in the pipes. I measured them out and made sure to order the 22.2's. Now I wait for the seller to contact me. I'm getting so I don't want to order off of eBay anymore. The last year the sellers make as many mistakes as they get things right but I'm stuck with spending more money to send things back for the seller to send the right thing. No skin off their noses. :/
Old 01-12-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarrd View Post
yup, lapped it. turned out really awesome actually. much better than when i would do it by hand with some sandpaper on the floor.
am i misreading? it is NOT a good idea to try to get a flat surface, which is what lapping does, on something that is NOT flat to machining standards! if you want to use an orbital sander, stick the glass on it and then the sandpaper to the glass. i almost slapped myself when you said you lapped on a floor! look for a thick piece of glass that doesn't distort your reflection by a noticable amount, i think plate glass is the stuff. thick because you don't want it to bend.

and i took my bike for a ride in the snow today, coming home from school. and i noticed that the jb weld is cracking again so the gas it leaking a little. tried to seal it up about 5 times now. i will put some coarse steel wool on it so it will be like fiber-steel (fiber glass). the epoxy in fiber glass is not very strong without the glass fibers. it acts kind of like rebar in concrete. the reason it keeps cracking is because the crack is from a bad weld on the gas tank mounting studs, so if i tighten it just a little too much it starts leaking again.

Last edited by young grease monkey; 01-12-2012 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typos
Old 01-12-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by young grease monkey View Post
am i misreading? it is NOT a good idea to try to get a flat surface, which is what lapping does, on something that is NOT flat to machining standards! if you want to use an orbital sander, stick the glass on it and then the sandpaper to the glass. i almost slapped myself when you said you lapped on a floor! look for a thick piece of glass that doesn't distort your reflection by a noticable amount, i think plate glass is the stuff. thick because you don't want it to bend.

it's not the first time i've lapped either the head or the cylinder. just the first time i've done it with an orbital sander.

i've done it several times on just my drive way with a sheet of sandpaper, and havn't had any head gasket issues.

the only one time i had an issue was because i had a bolt that wasn't torqued the same.

i even checked it with carb cleaner after i had run the motor and warmed it up, no leaks at all in the gasket.

Quote:
Old 01-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

progress so far this year piece by piece
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/f...7/Image003.jpg
Old 01-13-2012, 10:44 AM

Brain fade.....

While adding oil to the gas at the Chevron station, for some reason I was unsure if my reservoir held enough Opti-2 for 3 quarts. Worst-case scenario, I'd have a burnt-up engine. So, after filling up, I pedalled home(across the street) and added more Opti-2. At worst, fuel/oil ratio would be 50:1 of Opti-2.....liveable for the Tanaka.

By the time I motored to work, the engine told me it was @ 50:1 ratio, not 100:1 like it should be. The engine was dying @ idle several times over the past few days. All I needed to do was readjust the carb to compensate for adding too much oil. The bike uses 12 ounces of fuel daily, so I'll fill up w/100:1 Opti-2, like it should be, in 8 days.

Better safe than sorry.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner