Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-30-2011, 01:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

The size of the conductor inside a spark plug wire does not need to be very big at all. All it needs to do is carry high voltage between the ignition coil and spark plug boot. Spark plug wires are also heavily insulated for both durability as well as containing the high voltage adequately, and the thin conductor also allows the wire to bend and wrap around engine blocks and obstacles easily.
FWIW, a single strand of copper wire unwound from the welding lead you used would get the job done very well....but you would need to insulate it...a whole 'nother story here.
There is hardly any amperage involved to fire a spark plug.
Large conductor wire such as what you used from a welding lead is designed for high amperage as well as voltage. Definitely overkill indeed, but no harm done and will still work just fine.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 12-30-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breno View Post
Decided to get rid of the china spark plug lead and replace it with some welding lead + replace the boot and spark plug + a new CDI.

I didnt realise how small of gauge the standard spark plug lead was, glad its gone now.

Cut the white wire off the magneto and sanded off the laminate at the points where the mag is fitted/fixed to the bottom end for a better earth.
Soldered the cables up and went for a spin.

More then likely the placebo effect getting the better of me but it seems alot smoother throughout the rev range, so it was worth doing it IMO.
That is a sweet expansion chamber. What is it off of?

LabRat that golden pos ya got with the homescooled monarks

coated pistons
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42853
Old 12-30-2011, 06:34 PM

Took the Mango out for a spin just to splash the oil around. Had to pull 3 times it's been sitting so long.

Nice smooth ride.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:08 PM

Got my bike ready for a ride to Adams Ave Donuts in the morning. Installed lights and a mirror.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:27 PM

CTripps... Laquer thinner will soften up rubber parts. Try it on your brake pads, it should do the job. Don't do it too much (like soaking them overnight) because it can go too far.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:01 PM

Fabbed a throttle bracket for a front cable installation and ran the exhaust and installed a muffler on a OYNX 29er with a Predator 99.

Mac
Old 12-30-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porch lizard View Post
CTripps... Laquer thinner will soften up rubber parts. Try it on your brake pads, it should do the job. Don't do it too much (like soaking them overnight) because it can go too far.
Sounds perfect. I was thinking of something I could basically wipe on and off, that sounds like that'll do it. Thanks, I'll see if I can do something with them this weekend.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 12-31-2011, 05:08 PM

tried to center the chain and true the sprocket due to a chain rubbing sound.

took it for a spin, and the same thing happened that occurred last ride. a loud chain vibration. what i noticed this time was that the engine was cutting out and bogging and when the noise stopped and i slowed down a little, there was no vibration and the motor was pulling fine.

when i got back i noticed one of the exhaust nuts were loose. so i was tightening it and notice a bigger problem. the stud stripped right out. so now im gonna upgrade the studs and nuts to the kit on SBP.

i dont know if this was cause by the vibration, or if this was why it was cutting out and vibrating. the only ime this happens is when i reach near top speed. and it just started happening the previous time i took it for a ride.

any ideas?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Yeah, I know exactaly what went wrong. The holes are not tapped to the bottom I think to cut labor costs on the motor. I went to Harbor Freight and got a metric tap set and ALL the holes were shallow tapped, usually to only half their depth. HF tap set was under $12 and a good investment. This practice also is the reason the head capscrews can sometimes bottom out and give false torque readings.

I discovered this when I tried to bolt on a Pirate Cycles CNS carb intake and the bolts stuck out 1/4" before they stopped going in. Got the tapset and finished tapping the hole and did all the rest.

I had another bastard part, the head studs were of a slightly smaller size. Not a metric and not SAE. The threads going into the block were fine thread and the nut end was a coarse thread. I discovered the different size from standard when I tried to put the SBP headstuds in and they would not go in. Tapped the holes with an 8mm tap and they worked fine.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:48 PM

Rode the happy time out to the grocery store for some food.

This is my go to bike when I want to punish myself with loud obnoxious noise, stench of unburned hydrocarbons, excessive vibration and generally rough and shabby performance.

Yeah, everyone should have 1 of these, just to remind themselves how bad they are -

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner