Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

took it for a ride today and as i reached top speed it felt like i was going a lot faster than usual (it was a little chilly around 40 degrees)

as i reached that speed, immediately it sounded like the chain making a loud noise. it wasn't a grinding noise or rubbing, but it was vibrating pretty bad and made an amplified noise like knobby tires would on the pavement.

it drowned out the sound of the motor and when i let off of throttle, i could faintly hear the motor. and it sounded like it was bogging but wasn't stalling out or anything, then as i coasted another few seconds, i could then hear the pinging of it as it slowed down.

i don't know what this could be, and its hard to explain. i could of probably went even faster it felt, but i let off cause i did want feel like meeting the road today :]
Old 12-26-2011, 11:23 PM

Check the alignment of your back wheel, sounds like what mine was like when the edges of the knobs where brushing the drive chain and chainstay.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 12-27-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-7HEAVEN View Post
Excellent troubleshooting, Blakenstein and thanks for sharing. Yep, the less alcohol I buy, the more I can spend on my bike!

I'm a cheap drunk, anyway. I'm flying before I finish my first beer.

I mounted my $14 tach onto my windshield post, with $2 worth of a bracket, nuts and bolts.
Thanks 5-7, sounds like that's a motorcycle. Ya, today I threw the old carb back on and my old plug (Champion) and It fired up and ran great. Wow, that was a really weird electrical problem.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakenstein View Post
Thanks 5-7, sounds like that's a motorcycle. Ya, today I threw the old carb back on and my old plug (Champion) and It fired up and ran great. Wow, that was a really weird electrical problem.
Nah, I put a windshield on my motorized bike. I cut the handlebar clamps off of two brake levers. Then I used the clamps to bolt on the windshield. The bolt was long enough, so I attached my tach bracket to it.

When I used large exhaust tubing to seal the Tanaka pipe's flanges, it REALLY quieted down the engine. It also stopped the oil leak at the resonator-to-OEM muffler. Installing the tubing also shifted the engine, so I'm having a swell time installing the engine drive chain. No 8mm half-links, so it's either too short or too long. One engine mounting bolt snapped, and the stores are closed.

Hopefully, I can ride to work tomorrow, so I'll be up tonight fighting this MB.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 12-27-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTripps View Post
Check the alignment of your back wheel, sounds like what mine was like when the edges of the knobs where brushing the drive chain and chainstay.
i will have to check that out because that sounds like it could be that. it only happens when i get up to high speed and it kicks in real loud.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:18 PM

Last night I took my motorized bicycle for a trial run. I had installed an SBP HD freewheel, fixed my chain & tensioner, installed my tach, sealed the slip-fit connections on the Tanaka pipe.

One block from home, the bike threw the engine AND bike chain. I adjusted the Jump-Stop, but still throwing both chains. Engine chain was slipping off the tensioner, causing a very loose chain. After pedalling home, I disabled the tensioner, removed the front derailleur and shortened the engine chain. Sealing the pipes had raised the engine, so it was very difficult to install the chain. No half-links for 8mm chain, so it was either too loose or very tight. I opted for a very tight chain, hoping that it'd stretch and loosen up.

My ride to work was easy-going, using the sidewalk instead of fighting the very steep hill. Surprisingly, the bike pulls well on the sidewalk @ 10-15mph, whereas it would scream and/or lug between 20-25mph on that same hill. At the workplace ramp, I chose to climb slowly instead of charging up the ramp. Easily done. When I parked the bike, I noticed there was quite a bit of resistance pedalling. This was prolly due to the very tight engine drive chain.

I made it to work with no breaskdown, about 6 miles. The new freewheel has zero runout/wobble, compared to the .125" runout on the 4-bolt Chinese freewheels I normally used. What a difference!

I REALLY need to slacken the chain. It's prolly placing undue strain on the gearbox and freewheel.

Engine runs MUCH quieter now, and no oil leak @ the resonator-to-OEM muffler connection.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:43 PM

Today I took my nice shiny freshly built 2011 Nel Lusso with 66cc 2cycle and, HIT IT WITH A PEEN BALL HAMMER, THEN I TOOK A 80 GRIT GRINDING DISC AND JUST ATTACKED THE FRAME, THEN I TOOK STEEL WOOL AND JUST SCRATCHED THE HECK OUT OF IT! just a little more and it will look awesome!

God Speed, Mark
Old 12-27-2011, 10:53 PM

Red face Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Replacing a couple of spokes in the back wheel of the 50-

It's the one I've got bolted directrly to the flip/flop hub-
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=34307

ADVICE HERE! If you use this procedure, I recommend a 36 spoke hub- I got this 32 700C wheel on craigslist used- and this is the second time I've had to replace broken spokes- two this time-

Don't think it has anything to do with the bolt on - the spokes don't touch the sprocket or a rag joint- it's just not enough spokes-

racing back in the 70s I always used 36 90%of time and had one 32 front I think- Just not enough with extra weight of motor AND 40 years! Through the years fewer spokes has gotten more popular for regular cycling- so they are selling a lot of 32 flip/flop hubs and wheels- TRY TO GET A 36!

Had the silver belle out instead-
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?p=351395

a little trouble starting- thinking I need a new better rubber fuel line- THEN I choked it a bit- and that's the secret for now- fired right up like always- but in 3 years I've never used the choke- in fact it got turned on a few times and i wondered why I wasn't running good-

the original plastic fuel line is now very hard- so I'm going to replace it anyway- I don't think the flow is consistent across acceleration and back to idle- Been meaning to since report of fire and thick rubber hose will resist any flames longer- need filter too.

Getting up to 30 on that one about 3/4 open- it really purrs along with no vibration with the aluminum 34 sprocket

Last edited by Nashville Kat; 12-27-2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 PM

ordered some wrist pin bushings, gonna see if it'll fit, would be better than the needle bearing currently on the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:24 PM

I rechecked the back wheel today, and everything looks good. Still sitting on pressure, nice and firm.

So, I pulled the muffler out of the kit box I've used the motor from, opened it up and it's a whole different style inside. The old one came into the chamber, had a cat. converter, then went back to narrow pipe down to the bolt with holes in the sides and baffles tacked to it that sort of fit to the larger pipe. The new one doesn't narrow after the converter, and has a ring of holes on the bottom where the threaded rod is tacked on. They were clear of debris, so I didn't need to open them up. A few minutes per hole with the dremel on the mounting flange elongated the holes to allow me to turn it a few degrees to clear the cranks without heating and bending the pipe.

After that I braved the rain and ran it down the lane and fired up. A few trips up and down the lane and it's very happy. Back to the garage, I've got it idling with the clutch lever locked in, and noticed that it wanted to move a little. Lifted up the bike and the wheel began to turn. Release the clutch lever, and it turned a bit faster. So, shut it down and adjusted the clutch arm until the engine was completely disengaged. No problem now, but I'll have to keep an eye on it. The old brake cable I used as a repair must be stretching more than I expected.

While I had the wheel off I should have roughed up my brake pads, they're not grabbing as well as they used to. I'll replace them soon, they're not very expensive, but in the meantime anyone have any suggestions for softening up the rubber or roughing them up to make it grip a little better? I was thinking of scuffing them with a bit of sandpaper, and I thought about wiping them with a drop of gas and wiping them off, but haven't tried it.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner