Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

KDB, I had the same problem when I ran mine without a tensioner. Are you using the rag joint? Do you get a lot of vibration? Getting the chain extra tight is NOT the answer. The tighter you get it, the more it will stretch anyway, and the faster that motor will "walk" that axle forward, no matter how you crank on it. Then you will have to rebuild your hub components on a new axle when you strip out the threads.

Check my User Page for a spring dampener roller, or ask around for spring tensioners and chainstay-to-seat stay flat bars that use the roller wheel (can't turn into the spokes)

The heavier chain you can go with, the better!
Old 11-25-2011, 01:23 AM

57, Have you replaced your clutch with a non OE clutch (shoes, arms, or springs)?
Is your clutch cable sticking? When I first built my friction drive bike, I was having a similar problem (no carb adjustments to make, but bike was idling up some). It was the cable causing the problem. I used a gearshift cable instead of brake cable, and used lots of chain oil on the housing, and it quit happening.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
57, Have you replaced your clutch with a non OE clutch (shoes, arms, or springs)?
Is your clutch cable sticking? When I first built my friction drive bike, I was having a similar problem (no carb adjustments to make, but bike was idling up some). It was the cable causing the problem. I used a gearshift cable instead of brake cable, and used lots of chain oil on the housing, and it quit happening.
No, I have an OEM 47R centrifugal clutch. I'll check the cable.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:59 PM

Installed the new handlebar basket a Wald 3114 lift off and the clutch roller.

Took it to the store to test it out and it works everything works great.
Old 11-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

was gona put my SBP kit on,, but missed the mail truck. wakin up early to do that before work...

ran my HS142f today,, when I give just a small bit of throttle the engine dies down a little bit and then jumps up as I give it higher throttle not to kill it.. <no choke>. I havent had a chance to run it with resistance, but the 4g output pulley jumps and hits the mounts to the little plastic bits that covers it,, hopefully won't b a big problem. anyone have an idea on the throttle tho? Hoping a new airfilter/muffler will fix..
Old 11-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Went for a little ride and got tired of looking at my ugly black tank. So I cut some lettering and flames..... =[;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bubba-=bikes2.jpg (24.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg bubba-=bikes.jpg (26.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 11-26-2011, 01:18 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Put a screwdriver, needlenose pliers, and a clean white cloth (for laying out parts if I had to) all into my pocket. Then I went for a spin through my mobile home park, tweaking my carburettor as I went. She's dialed in as well as I can get for an NT. Which is to say: having a performance air-cleaner, jet work, and the engine ported, my girl moves when I ask her to move.

PS: Bairdco knows stuff: a petcock with better flow and a larger inside diameter on your fuel line can make a lot of difference. Your float bowl gets fuel on demand. No lag. No bogging. No waiting as the car behind you honks. Here's your fuel-Zoom!

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 11-26-2011 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:25 PM

I always had a feeling not enough fuel gets through the stock cock valve. The few times Ive drained my tank have proven this to me. then I think 80 miles to the half gallon I should get by with an IV drip filling my carb . No?

Not to mention the crunchy grinding I feel every once in a while when I turn it to the off position even though I have a screen on it I use only 93 octane as well ...not the 86 oct.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:57 PM

I'm off to donate blood platelets @ the blood bank. From now on, I'll drive to/from the bank. Why? A blood donor who had given more than 200 times before fainted shortly after donating. He had rested enough before getting off the chair, folded his blanket, walked to the snack room(We get snacks!)and keeled over.

Imagine that happening to a motorized bike rider on the road!

Yeah, so I only filled the oil reserve w/Opti-2 and wiped oil spray off the bike.

I've been thinking about fabbing a 1-ounce oil reserve tank. Then I'll permanently connect it to my 4-liter Happy Time fuel tank. I've been filling/mixing oil @ the gas station for months. This'll make the mixing process more passive/automatic.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-7HEAVEN View Post
I've been thinking about fabbing a 1-ounce oil reserve tank. Then I'll permanently connect it to my 4-liter Happy Time fuel tank. I've been filling/mixing oil @ the gas station for months. This'll make the mixing process more passive/automatic.

The Vespa that my uncle used to have had a measuring cup built in to the underside of the fuel cap. He would fill up the cup with pre-mix, dump it into the fuel tank, then fill up the fuel tank with gas. He would then shake and bounce the Vespa around (it looked really funny!) to mix it up good before starting the engine.

Perhaps you could do something similar only have it with some sort cap on the cup to seal in the oil until needed.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner