Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I finished my preliminary (pre-paint) build and took her for a spin. Less that 500 yards and the final drive freewheel sprocket exploded.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gia View Post
They keep saying to buy another lever like is used for the clutch to use as a throttle. Anybody else got input? This is my first bike, and I'm not too well educated on mechanical anythings!
This type of throttle control is very common, quite cheap to do, easy to use, and very reliable.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 11-21-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
This type of throttle control is very common, quite cheap to do, easy to use, and very reliable.
First, I bought a dual-pull lever, and connected front and rear brake cables to it.

What to do with the neglected single lever?

I hooked up my throttle cable to it!

Clean! No extra levers on the handlebar!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:16 AM

Today the scooter windshield I purchased two years ago was installed.

It is THE BOMB!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Worked on getting my LA Cycles BigMo back together to sell. Christmas coming up and I'm sure it will sell no problems. Some of the parts from the Dynacraft West Coast LTD is going on the BigMo like the seat, the BigMo seat was broken when I got it and at $50 for a new one I couldn't get enough out of the bike to pay for it. I'll be selling it at a loss anyway but that's ok. It's way too small for me and I'd have to do massive mods to make it work not near as well as the LTD and I have to do no chopping to it. I got front fork tubes that have brakes so I'm adding that to the BigMo for extra value.

I'll be getting back to building on the LTD when my new drill bit set gets here Monday or Tuesday.
Go Dave! Lookin' forward to the pics!

Ride safe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 11-21-2011, 03:04 AM

If you have nothing in the way (shifter triggers for example), you can use cheap "thumbies" (1980s style gear shifters, $5) for a thumb throttle.

https://encrypted-tbn3.google.com/im...7w381Y51u6hrUm

These work great for shifters, and you can put one under the bar, loctite the screw, and leave it just a tad loose, so the lever is pulled back by the carb spring. It is important to use thread glue on the screw so it doesn't loosen and come out (the shifter will come apart). When used conventionally the screw is tight, so not a problem.

If you get the pair from Niagara Cycle Works for $10, it comes with cables and housings. They also sell the single shifter for $5, but I don't know if it has cables or housing. Probably at least a cable.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:17 PM

Wahoo! Took the Stiletto Rat Bobber out for it's first spin, what a rip. No front brake (It took two blocks to stop), and no muffler. It sounded more like a gatlin gun than a Chinagirl. Liked the setup and the handling. It reminded me of the old Bultacos we rode as kids. The rebuilt Chinagirl is strong and consistent with quick acceleration and smooth idle. It's a bit of a challenge to start this little engine with a recoil starter. I'm surprised with the compression. My respect for these little engines and the NT carb are renewed!!!! The jackshaft on the Stiletto worked perfectly. I removed the exhaust and welded a pipe fitting on for a muffler, welded a pipe fitting on a little Chinagirl muffler and re-installed. Now it's quiet and fun, and fast.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Gutter Rider

Cold and a bit rainy today had to add just a smidgen of air to both my tires. My said rear tire I slime tube is still working flawlessly with well over 4000 miles on it and all the impalements I found and removed when I put a new tire into the equitation.. . I got more power showed up today. The air atmosphere got dense enough that full throttle I had for hills stopped four stroking on on straight aways with my Morini/BoXer at times.

It is fast getting too cold for my liking now. Prolly time to bust out one of my faithful peddle bikes to stay warm.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:25 PM

Riding time has been minimal but I did get a nice Stewart Warner Speedo installed. It's old and bouncy but gives a pretty good idea of speed.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:53 AM

Put the first 5 or so miles on my cg today. This is a neat way to get around! I'm really digging the part-time pedaling. Not sure exactly how fast or how far I've gone because my awesome old mechanical speedo doesn't actually work. Hoping I can fix it somehow. Kinda surprised at how many parts rattled off, so I put some nail polish where needed. It worked.

Thanks everyone for all the answers, old posts, stickies, opinions, words of doom & wisdom. I've never been mechanically inclined, but I've learned a lot here & now I've got this kicka$$ bike. (Or at least the beginnings of one....I don't imagine I'll quit working on it anytime soon.)

Looks like rain for the next 2 days, followed by freezing temperatures. Dang. I should build some kinda snowmobile.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner