Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-19-2011, 04:17 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Rode mine to the end of the block today. Out of 6 attempts, I made it all the way twice.
The problem of the wide-open throttle only came back once, when I didn't have the cap thingy screwed in all the way & the brass barrel slipped out of position. Just b-a-r-e-l-y missed nailing the van parked across the street. (That was pretty fun, I gotta admit). Still working on the throttle adjustment. It kinda works a little, but it doesn't make much of a difference if it's mostly pulled or mostly relaxed, the result is about the same: it just kinda runs.

RC - good call. Turns out the barrel was the problem. I got it sliding, but I think it's in backwards....the groove is on the clutch side & the bottom notch is on the drive side. Is that probably why the throttle isn't doing as much as it could?

Last edited by anim8r; 11-19-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:23 PM

I spotted another motorized bicycle rider!

On my way to work yesterday a.m., I noticed a bike rider in the fast lane on Dillingham Blvd., heading west towards Nimitz Highway. I'm on my bike, stopped at the light, perpendicular to his route, so I saw his right profile. That's strange, he's claiming the lane, keeping up with traffic. In the few seconds that he's in my sight, I noticed everything is colored black...driver's clothing, bike, Happy Time engine. There is a HT muffler on the bike. The engine's not screaming, so I'm presuming that he has a shift kit.

We'll cross paths one day. This is the first motorized bicycle I've seen on the road in two months. Before the first sighting, I hadn't seen a motorized bike in over a year.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 11-19-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 PM

Put a new seat on, took a spin around the neighborhood to see how it felt (great) and made myself an Al F. clutch roller bracket.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:40 PM

I started off the day with a couple of confidence runs on the replaced motor, and it's running nicely. It was clear and sunny but only around 4C, and no traffic on most of either trip until near the destinations. Weather permitting, it should be good to go for work next week.

Once I got back to the house the first priority was getting the wife's bike put back together.
Sealed up the magneto cover, remounted the CDI, connected the wiring, should be good.
Noticed while doing this that it's leaking a bit of gas, so I replaced the clamp holding the fuel line at the petcock, it was tight but could still be moved (first thing I found) then followed the line down. It was dry and seems good. I can't tell for sure right now but it looks like the gasket on the fuel bowl might be leaking. I'll follow up on that tomorrow. While I was working on it I pulled the clutch cover and adjusted the flower nut. Sometimes it would lock up the back wheel when you tried to start it first thing, hopefully that's taken care of with a few turns to "finger-tight." If not, it shouldn't be hard to set. Pulled the air intake and used gasket maker to replace the paper thin one as well. Cleaned out the 'air cleaner sponge' and cover too, since I had it apart.

Two good round trips and an afternoon spent tinkering. That's a good day.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 11-20-2011, 12:48 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Put a new seat on, took a spin around the neighborhood to see how it felt (great) and made myself an Al F. clutch roller bracket.

I have GOT to make me one of these. I checked, and found I had all the parts. And I'm running out of excuses.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 11-20-2011, 01:22 AM

Test fitted the Staton-Inc. rear wheel with dual threaded hub to my Schwinn Point Beach and picked up my EZM kit from Scotto-.
I will try to actually take some photos of this build this time around and make an EZM build thread. Time to play with it will be sporadic at best and $ is short so it may end up being updated sporadically too.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 11-20-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post

First time I saw that mod, it was done by a member named Large Filipino.
On this site or the other, you can dig through his posts and find it. It was known as the "Large Filipino clutch mod" for a while.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Worked on getting my LA Cycles BigMo back together to sell. Christmas coming up and I'm sure it will sell no problems. Some of the parts from the Dynacraft West Coast LTD is going on the BigMo like the seat, the BigMo seat was broken when I got it and at $50 for a new one I couldn't get enough out of the bike to pay for it. I'll be selling it at a loss anyway but that's ok. It's way too small for me and I'd have to do massive mods to make it work not near as well as the LTD and I have to do no chopping to it. I got front fork tubes that have brakes so I'm adding that to the BigMo for extra value.

I'll be getting back to building on the LTD when my new drill bit set gets here Monday or Tuesday.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:24 PM

Put the air cleaner back together on the wife's bike, checked the gasket on the fuel bowl and sure enough, it's been pinched so it's weeping a little bit. Put it on the list of things to replace, it's not a huge concern right now. Fastened the carb back on and tweaked the clutch cable, so it should be good to go.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 11-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Today was about day 6 of the "simple" task of replacing the handlebars. Nothing has ever been simple when it comes to the Flying Pig so far. The handlebars were no different. To make it more entertaining, I was also going to replace the crappy twist throttle with a thumb throttle. (Easier for me to use a thumb throttle) The twist throttle has not stayed together long enough for a ride to even happen except at idle speed.

Problems mating an ATV throttle with the Chinese motor were to be expected, what was NOT expected was that the screw to tighten the clamp to the bars was bent, resulting in breaking off a chunk of the plastic bracket.

I'll deal with it tomorrow.

In the meantime, replacing the failing seat with a new gel seat in x-large sounded great, until you realize it raises the seat a couple of inches on a bike that was already too large. I can barely reach the pedals, have to lean it over to get on and then hop along to start with enough momentum to start pedaling the bike. Just for extra interest, the clutch is still too tight, which means that it's not engaged yet when it's locked, requiring me to do my gymnastic routine with one hand clenching the clutch handle tightly.

I need to figure something else out, but smaller bikes weren't giving enough room for the engine (Grubee Skyhawk) and I ended up with this old steel frame bike that nearly everything has been replaced on. It's a good thing that it was intended as a Frankenstein experiment to even see if I could manage riding a motorized bicycle, rather than a "pretty" cycle!

So far, I have maybe 3 miles on the engine, and while I have no complaints about that part--the rest of it has been junk, especially the so-called "upgraded" twist throttle that comes apart if you breath on it. The integrated kill switch was DOA when it was installed (broken internally, but no damage visible on the throttle handle.) I didn't expect to find that the twist throttle was a problem (I am disabled) but it was impossible to use for more than a few minutes, hence the thumb throttle switch out. I searched the forums, thinking surely someone else has had an issue with twisting a throttle and used a thumb throttle, but didn't find anything. I'm a bit leery of using anything that doesn't require some kind of pressure continually to keep running just in case something DOES go wrong, even though my mechanical buddies keep poo-pooing my worries about it. They keep saying to buy another lever like is used for the clutch to use as a throttle. Anybody else got input? This is my first bike, and I'm not too well educated on mechanical anythings!

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner