Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Staff

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Made pipe mount out of an old tensioner bracket. Just cut it down to fit. Played with muffler. Gonna keep it as pictured for now. Actually did this Sunday. Today used some stiff side of Velcro tape to make throttle easier to grip. Bought a leather aviator's cap, goggles and military style glove/mittens. Can pull back mitten finger end and is open fingered gloved. Adjusted brakes and could smoke with out taking off gloves. Is pretty cool. Forgot to get a face mask but the leather cap is cool and not warm! lol

RiverSide :: Muffler double video by dan3xd - Photobucket
Attached Images
File Type: jpg muffler clamp, double muffler.jpg (88.2 KB, 54 views)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 12-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Since we had a high of 16 degrees today with about 30 mph winds I worked in my shop and started laying out a spring loaded chain tensioner made from an old rear derailer sprocket and bearings. And did some day dreaming on how to build a kickstarter once I get my transfer jackshaft stuff mounted. I also laminater some wood stock together to make the mold to lay up a fiberglass tank. All in all it was somewhat productive just too cold to enjoy riding.
Old 12-06-2010, 07:38 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

rode for awhile, then it got a little chilly (brrrrr, it was like 60!) so i went home and stared at my new bike for awhile.

i've been trying to work out the angles for the tank for the last coupla days. been makin stuff out of poster board, but didn't find anything i was happy with. it's like friggen origami trying to make something in 3-D.

so today, i looked at this piece of copper i was beating on awhile ago, and decided to try to hammer it into the right shape.

set the copper sheet in the dirt, then beat on it with a rubber mallet till it looked like it'd fit, then cut it out, shaped it, finessed it, and i now have a rounded front end for my tank.

or a cool soapdish.

i should have the tank mostly done tomorrow or wednesday, so i'll post up some pics in the build thread.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdco View Post
rode for awhile, then it got a little chilly (brrrrr, it was like 60!) so i went home and stared at my new bike for awhile.

i've been trying to work out the angles for the tank for the last coupla days. been makin stuff out of poster board, but didn't find anything i was happy with. it's like friggen origami trying to make something in 3-D.

so today, i looked at this piece of copper i was beating on awhile ago, and decided to try to hammer it into the right shape.

set the copper sheet in the dirt, then beat on it with a rubber mallet till it looked like it'd fit, then cut it out, shaped it, finessed it, and i now have a rounded front end for my tank.

or a cool soapdish.

i should have the tank mostly done tomorrow or wednesday, so i'll post up some pics in the build thread.
did you ever see the episode (one of his earlier ones) when jessie james went to some coppersmith an fabbed a copper tank with rivits

"GREAT BIKE'S CAN BE CHEAP,AND ANY BIKE BOUGHT BACK FROM THE SCRAP PILE IS EVEN BETTER!.. DON'T BUY INTO THE HIGH DOLLAR HYPE!"
Old 12-06-2010, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.charlie View Post
did you ever see the episode (one of his earlier ones) when jessie james went to some coppersmith an fabbed a copper tank with rivits
I saw that episode and have been thinking of doing a tank out of 4" copper tube with radiused brass end caps and copper rivets as an accent... Maybe when I finish this fiberglass tank for my current bike and start a new vintage build.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
a guy who makes cool bikes

didn't see that episode, but i saw discovery's "biker build-off" show where a guy did basically the same thing. it was a work of art.

copper's really easy to work with, semi-inexpensive, and adds a cool look to a vintage bike.

minus the cost of my time (not to mention the time spent figuring it out) a copper tank can be built for about 50 bucks.
Old 12-06-2010, 11:12 PM

Broke at least 3 spokes and changed carbs. I put my old nt on because it seems better made, but it was not as fast. I think I will now change rims and put back one the new nt carb
Old 12-07-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdco View Post
rode for awhile, then it got a little chilly (brrrrr, it was like 60!) so i went home and stared at my new bike for awhile...
o_O

/waits for CA to fall into the ocean...
Old 12-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarelyAWake View Post
o_O

/waits for CA to fall into the ocean...
Yea me too I hate it when the complain about 60 degrees and it is less than 20 here.
Old 12-07-2010, 04:57 PM

it says 58 in the shop...w/screens open but damm i know its colder.....im gonna go buzz the 'hood right now.......hey believe me i feel 4 you guys way up north.......

oh man that was cold.....don't know how you guys do it up yonder

"GREAT BIKE'S CAN BE CHEAP,AND ANY BIKE BOUGHT BACK FROM THE SCRAP PILE IS EVEN BETTER!.. DON'T BUY INTO THE HIGH DOLLAR HYPE!"

Last edited by mr.charlie; 12-07-2010 at 05:11 PM. Reason: cause i froze ma nose

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner