Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:08 AM
Gutter Rider

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I've got my econoline motivating, so I can step back away from that project for a while... still can't spring for the taxes required on it... go figger!

Popped the drive gear cover and un-stuck my chain from the sprocket, made up the chain and adjusted the idler. Fired it off and it ran better than it has before.
I must be getting close with these $#@! cns jets! lol

...but the chain was a tad too tight...
I messed with it in the driveway, rocked the wheel back and forth, then turned it 180 and rocked it again to see how far my rag joint is out of eccentric... It is!

So I loosened the chain a bit.

But that ain't the biggie...

I heard a rattle in the top end when rocking the back wheel.
I'm figuring wrist pin or maybe piston slap. Probably both.
This might be the heart of the problem why best speed I've gotten so far is 24mph.

It was a basketcase when I bought it and had been run pretty hard.

So now I gotta look for a replacement engine from a vendor that will ship to Kalifornia. I don't think it would pay to spring for double shipping if I had someone out of state take delivery of it, then forward it to me...

I use the little motorized bicycle for daily transport around town and really don't want to run it until the motor hand grenades... heck, I like it !

...Setback!
rc
Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Yesterday I used Opt-2 for the first time. Unfortunately, I was having fuel delivery issues. The engine died several times over the last two days. When I reached home, I replaced my FRAM automotive fuel filter(huge) with a Happy Time fuel filter. Gas flowed freely thru the SBP petcock and hose. The Tanaka 47R engine's carb was reset to stock settings.

Today, the bike performed with excellence. However, the engine has starting problems. I need to work on that.

I am loving my super-low gears. First is 46.32:1, second is 39.55:1. Seventh gear is 17.72:1 and eighth gear is 15:1. Low and high gears are all usable.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:19 AM
Gutter Rider

surprising u were able to get that fram plugged up, 57 !
I was thinkin it might be a lifetime filter! lol
Hope u get the carb dialed in quickly.
rc
Old 11-18-2011, 01:37 AM

rusty, the fuel filter USED to fill up previously. Before it died, it barely wet the bottom. Unsure if the filter was defective, or that the engine just doesn't have the vacuum to pull the fuel.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:58 AM

Hey 5-7 Heaven, that's a wide gear range you have. 46 : 1 must be like a Shimano Hyper Low. What's your crusing speed when you get in high gear?
Old 11-18-2011, 03:57 AM

Hey Scootmeister, I'm using an 11t-34t rear cassette. The bicycle chainring is 24t. The engine sprockets are 11t/72t.
(34/24) x (72/11) = 9.2727. Multiply that by the 5:1 pocket bike gearbox to get 46.36:1

Top speed is limited by the driver's fear, lol.

With 15:1 in eighth gear, I stay below 45mph. I'm usually in 7th gear @ 17.72:1, between 35mph-40mph.

There are no isolated long stretches of flat road where I can really open her up.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 11-18-2011 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycase View Post

So now I gotta look for a replacement engine from a vendor that will ship to Kalifornia. I don't think it would pay to spring for double shipping if I had someone out of state take delivery of it, then forward it to me...

I use the little motorized bicycle for daily transport around town and really don't want to run it until the motor hand grenades... heck, I like it !

...Setback!
rc
Rusty, why not just get the top end parts and rebuild it? Someone should be able to ship those to California.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:47 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

rode 2 and from work 34 degrees in Melbourne today... thats celsius for u non aussies = good riding weather, dudes try and talk to me on the road, wave me down, people stare, every1 smiles, not a real common sight here yet the funnest way 2 get 2 work ever
Old 11-18-2011, 04:04 PM

started my bike for the 1st time today! It's loud & smelly....I think the paint is burning off the muffler.

First time I tried to start it I forgot to open the petcock. There was a clunk, then a couple of smaller clunks. I'm not sure what exactly went down, but I spent the next 45 minutes scanning the street for the drive chain's master link. Can't believe I found all the pieces.

Back in the garage, I decided to hang it for the first startup instead of doing it on the road. Probably a good thing, because it turns out the throttle is sitting wide open & it can't be slowed down. I probably would've gotten dumped on my butt. Maybe my head. Time to learn about the carb, choke, & throttle.....

Old 11-18-2011, 05:15 PM

yea m8r, the paint will burn off the last of its catalysts when heated, along with any oil/crud in the fins, that smell will go away eventually If you don't like the smell of 2-stroke exhaust(I know some people that can't stand that smell-their loss), there's semi-synthetic, and full synthetic oil options for smokeless running. They cost more than good'ol 2-smoke oil though

Rusty, you might even get away with just replacing your bushing/or needle bearing(whatever you have). If you can save it before the piston starts wobbling and taking chunks out of the ports that'll save some bucks. $5 for a bearing/bushing now or $60'ish for a top-end later, eh?

Eject it and inspect it!

This week I found a deal on Kijijji.com(its like Craigslist) for two kits for just over the price of one. They were two hours away, but luckily a friend of a friend's brother was able to pick them up from my Dad's work on his way to visit family. So I finally got the boxes of parts this week, woo! I crack into them... one new/never-ran 66, one lightly loved 66 with a small nick in the jug, no biggie. But then I see these pads of rubber with chunks cut out of them... "uh oh, rubberized mounts" I think. Inspect the used case, and sure enough, not one but both the rear studs were sheared...

Good thing I have extra cases kicking around, but the "new" ones studs/jug are 8x1.125m, and my cases are 6x1m, so had to order in a tap.

Plus there was some weird gunk on the intake, and there was four throttle assemblies and only one NT carb, lols.

The joys of HT tinkering, never a dull moment.

Keep your parts miscellaneous, and keep your miscellaneous parts.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner