Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:22 PM
Gutter Rider

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Darn near perfected my new proto type air/sound dampener box for my BoXer bike for the air filter. I am pretty close now to little ol honda innocent generator noise level. It took me long enough. It don't look too bad its rapidly growing on me. This one does not impede air flow at all ether.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Yay! APEC is over! President Obama flew out this morning, so less traffic. My route near the airport is clear; the homeless moved back near the bikepath.

My fuel tank is almost empty, so it'll be my first Opti-2 mix tomorrow morning.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:50 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

I keep thinking there's nothing much more I could do for the Higgins build until Fundreamer finishes my in-frame tank. I'm always wrong. It's true: you're never done working on them. It's just that some days you work on 'em because you have to. And some days you work on them because you want to.
I installed a waxed-leather mudguard on the front fender. I cut out one for the back. And I've painted my temporary tank bright red. It still doesn't look right, but at least now it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
This new build, she loves to run! And pedaling from a standing start is so much easier with the smaller pedal sprocket. That was a great find.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 11-17-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 AM

I checked to see if i broke a ring or scored the cylinder by not mixing my gas enough. Note to self, always check gas before riding to work. Thank goodness I didn't and killed the motor before I did some real damage.

LabRat that golden pos ya got with the homescooled monarks

coated pistons
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=42853
Old 11-16-2011, 06:49 PM

Today was more productive than most, not busier, just more productive. First, I installed weaker springs in the centrifugal clutch of the "Red Hornet" so she engages quicker and transitions more smoothly when shifting. Hopefully, it will now engage just above idle. I always scavenge springs and screws from old appliances and tools, so I had plenty that would fit to choose from. I then made a new gasket for the exhaust manifold because at high speed it was spitting oil on the rear fender and engine coil. I applied Permatex, so I have to wait for it to dry to try it out (first thing in the morning) After that I shifted my attention to my new Rat Bobber. When trying to start it for the first time I realized that you cannot "bump start" an engine that drives a rear freewheel through a jackshaft. So I took the cover off of the flywheel and tried to start it with my electric drill and a socket over the flywheel nut. Nothing, nada, not even a sputter. I pulled the plug, again, nothing, nada, dead. I have a new NGK and new CDI, so I'm thinking it's the 3 year old magneto coil, probably the weakest link in a Chinagirl engine. I ordered two, plus a recoil start from BGF and will try again when the parts come in.

Last edited by Scootmeister; 11-16-2011 at 06:53 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Be careful with that drill!

Read what happened to me:
http://motorbicycling.com/f3/what-di...tml#post342609
Old 11-16-2011, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the warning, Cowboy. I've been bitten before, so I know what you're saying!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:34 AM

I like the idea of custom clutch springs. I have a new Tanaka 33 and really like the fiction drive (pun), but the clutch springs are so tight, I get clutch chatter till about 10-13mph on flat ground (small roller). If I am going up a hill, I can pull from 3mph and it will stay engaged as long as the load exists, but then starts the chatter again if not going faster.

Does anyone know if there is a way to change this except going to a smaller roller? My wife is heavy and rides slow (10-15mph).
Old 11-17-2011, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
I like the idea of custom clutch springs. I have a new Tanaka 33 and really like the fiction drive (pun), but the clutch springs are so tight, I get clutch chatter till about 10-13mph on flat ground (small roller). If I am going up a hill, I can pull from 3mph and it will stay engaged as long as the load exists, but then starts the chatter again if not going faster.

Does anyone know if there is a way to change this except going to a smaller roller? My wife is heavy and rides slow (10-15mph).
I dunno, man. I have gear and shift kit with OEM spring on my Tanaka 47R engine. My clutch also chatters at low speed.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:45 AM

Is it the clutch shoes that are chattering? or the clutch drum not spinning totally true?
I have had similar issues with both my BMP kit & 2 Staton double bearing clutch drivers. It wasn't the clutch shoes or the bearings, but a loose/wobbly drum. On the BMP kit, I had to install an extra 1/2" washer which allows the shaft-end screw to remove excess play from the 1/2" shaft removing drum play. On both Staton drivers, there is no threaded end to the shafts, but by removing the driver, laying it flat on the ground & installing one to two extra 5/8" washers between the pulley & bearing & pushing down on it while locking the pulley set screw, it also removes the play allowing the drum to spin totally true...
-Lowracer-

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner